Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 24679
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 11:40
x 6877

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 22:30 My grandmother also had some stone bottles with 'Mackintoshes' on them, I think they were for ginger beer, I know she used them as hot water bottles.

Peter
These could well be examples of the Macintosh you are referring to Peter.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
Posts: 11569
Joined: 02 Apr 2005, 16:11
x 1200

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Peter.N. »

They are indeed Neil. Never thought I would see one of those again! I think the light switch is too modern though. :wink: I remember when I was a kid my mother made a table lamp from a length of painted 2X2", she bored the hole the full length with a poker heated red hot in the fire. She also made me quite a nice bookcase from half a dozen Co-op fish boxes, this would have been just after the war. I still have some of the individual boxes in the garage, full of things I will probably never use again.

I still have a few OXO tins with nuts and bolts in them, remember those? The 10 cwt ford Ford van we had when I started work in London was OXO669 and our phone number was City 1124, in Cheapside it was. Amazing what you can remember with a little stimuli.

Peter
User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 24679
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 11:40
x 6877

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 00:24 She also made me quite a nice bookcase from half a dozen Co-op fish boxes, this would have been just after the war. I still have some of the individual boxes in the garage, full of things I will probably never use again.
Now I for one Peter would love to see a photograph of one of those individual fish boxes in your garage, and I'm sure the contents would prove a talking point too! :-D

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 02 Feb 2023, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
User avatar
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
Posts: 2010
Joined: 15 Apr 2021, 14:32
x 666

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Dormouse »

There you go Neil. Garage Ferreting. New Thread?
User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 24679
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 11:40
x 6877

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dormouse wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 10:40 There you go Neil. Garage Ferreting. New Thread?
We have a Garages Gallery Ancient and Modern which covers the domestic garage too, but yes many lucky enough to have garages will have all sorts of stuff lying around them, maybe even in old fish boxes and oxo tins. :-D Of course the last thing you expect to find in a garage these days is a car!
Garages Gallery Ancient and Modern.
viewtopic.php?p=651237#p651237
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
Posts: 13622
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 6040

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 10:58 Of course the last thing you expect to find in a garage these days is a car!
Neil
I'm sure Jim would join me in begging to differ. Both our garages are homes to their very own little motors, Bluebell for Jim and Suzy for me, well for SWMBO!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
Posts: 2010
Joined: 15 Apr 2021, 14:32
x 666

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Dormouse »

So, where do you ferret things now?
User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 24679
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 11:40
x 6877

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

When was the last time you opened a tin of Carnation Evaporated Milk. :?: For the Falcon it was this very morning some decades after previously opening such a tin. My Dad used to love it on his rice pudding, tapioca, ground rice, semolina or any other such "Milk Pudding" after the Sunday dinner.
A small Tin of Carnation Milk and<br />Barry Cade's Trade Tricks Column<br />Preserved for the World Wide Web.
A small Tin of Carnation Milk and
Barry Cade's Trade Tricks Column
Preserved for the World Wide Web.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 49592
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 6172

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by CitroJim »

Used to enjoy Barry Cade's Trade Tricks back in the 1970s :)

Dad used to take Car Mechanics in those days whilst I took Practical Wireless and Television magazines... The Television Magazine being about how to fix them rather than watch them...

A great deal of my early learning came from devouring those three magazines in my youth :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
Posts: 13622
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 6040

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 09:46 When was the last time you opened a tin of Carnation Evaporated Milk. :?: For the Falcon it was this very morning some decades after previously opening such a tin. My Dad used to love it on his rice pudding, tapioca, ground rice, semolina or any other such "Milk Pudding" after the Sunday dinner.

Neil
Tuesday evening, still a regular ingredient in my diet! :-D
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
Posts: 11569
Joined: 02 Apr 2005, 16:11
x 1200

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Peter.N. »

I thought they still made all these things - I don't go shopping very often. :oops:

Peter
User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 24679
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 11:40
x 6877

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You don't even have to be an absolute marvel with the tin opener these days to rustle up this delightful dessert...
falcon montage
falcon montage
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 49592
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 6172

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by CitroJim »

Not had any, knowingly, since I was a little boy... That and condensed milk... Can't recall the last time I saw/had a tin of rice pudding either...

Like you Peter, I didn't even know it was still available...

Like my old favourite - Camp coffee. 95% of people nowadays have never heard of it and don't have a clue what it is and the other 5% are amazed it's still available. I love it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
Posts: 13622
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 6040

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 15:26

Like my old favourite - Camp coffee. 95% of people nowadays have never heard of it and don't have a clue what it is and the other 5% are amazed it's still available. I love it!
Now I see why you have squirrel like tendences!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 49592
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 6172

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 15:38
CitroJim wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 15:26

Like my old favourite - Camp coffee. 95% of people nowadays have never heard of it and don't have a clue what it is and the other 5% are amazed it's still available. I love it!
Now I see why you have squirrel like tendences!! :-D
:lol: Oh yes, I always keep a good stock of it just in case it is ever discontinued ;) If that ever happens I'll be bereft :cry:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...