Citroen C5 - Changing LDS fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 - Changing LDS fluid

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That LDS did look a bit black to me, so changing 4 litres will be good for the system. Obviously if one is going to replace the LDS fluid, getting as much of the old stuff out is important and depressurising with Diagbox if you have this is an easier and much quicker way to do it and will get more fluid out.

Once you get your ride heights corrected, that will help with the ride quality - definitely seems to be a little high Vlad. As long as you have bled the system properly - that will also help with getting rid of any air in the system.

Good job.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '14 C5 CrossTourer

Post by fikse »

Old tread, still valid and useful. Thank you GiveMeABreak for the fine instructions.
I just did this on my '06 C5 with success.
I want to add a tip: I suspected that the cap on the hydraulic tank was the same as the cap for the brake fluid tank. So I tested with the "One Man Bleeder tool"
brake bleedeer.JPG
Without any brake fluid of course, I connected this to a wheel (with 0,5 bar pressure) and into the hydraulic tank. It worked as supposed, and the bleeding prosess was done fast.
BTW I have used the same bleeder kit sucessfully to bleed a empty brake circuit via Lexia. A long process to bleed the brakes as I was alone to do the job, but it worked fine.
Life is a game - Just play it!
HydroFreak
My Cars: Citroen C5 2007 Hdi 2.0 Estate

Post by HydroFreak »

I am about to change the spheres on the front of my C5 (Hydractive 3+) and I bought a vacuum bleeding kit with the capability of 0.5bar on the gauge.

The confusing thing I keep reading is some people seem to be thinking to add positive pressure to the system for bleeding purposes however 0.5bar means reducing pressure (vacuum tool) with respect to atmospheric pressure (1 bar). Makes sense to me if I can apply vacuum of 0.5bar in the air space of the LDS reservoir under the cap that it would draw any air bubbles from the system following factory steps.

Am I on the right track?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Indeed, 0.5bar is a reduced pressure, not increased pressure, and that's (0.5bar) what the workshop manual states - though for the pedants out there, 1bar is not quite atmospheric pressure :-D
However....... the Facom 920 tool is a simple cooling system pressure testing kit, and the pressure gauge on it sits at '0' when at rest. When at rest it's open to atmosphere, so their scale is incorrect as it's showing a vacuum. My guess is both the workshop manual and the Facom tool graduations are a bit of a FUBAR and what they actually mean is 1.5bar.
Fackin' Facom Fubar
Fackin' Facom Fubar
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
HydroFreak

Post by HydroFreak »

bobins wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 22:41 Indeed, 0.5bar is a reduced pressure, not increased pressure, and that's (0.5bar) what the workshop manual states - though for the pedants out there, 1bar is not quite atmospheric pressure :-D
However....... the Facom 920 tool is a simple cooling system pressure testing kit, and the pressure gauge on it sits at '0' when at rest. When at rest it's open to atmosphere, so their scale is incorrect as it's showing a vacuum. My guess is both the workshop manual and the Facom tool graduations are a bit of a FUBAR and what they actually mean is 1.5bar.

I don't know what the Facom tool is like but the Repco tool I have is correctly graduated, when you squeeze the hand trigger it generates vacuum and correctly shows 0.5bar as you 'suck' with the tool. I don't think there's any FUBAR in the workshop procedure. For example, if you push air into the reservoir at 1.5bar then you need to use bleed points elsewhere in the system to release trapped air bubbles. There is no mention of doing that in the instructions. Whereas if you apply exactly what they say, i.e. 0.5bar, to the reservoir then that will draw any air towards the low pressure air gap above the fluid in the reservoir and precludes the need to use any other bleed points in the system.

EDIT: you inspired me to double-check markings on my Repco tool and I guess you could say it's wrong in the sense that it uses negative scale, and the needle starts at zero. But I think that's quite forgivable given it's easier to understand vacuum as negative numbers relative to atmospheric pressure. So 0.5bar on the Repco is represented as -0.5bar, i.e. 0.5bar below 1bar (which is represented as ZERO). Vacuum for dummies I guess because it makes sense to me!
Last edited by HydroFreak on 16 Feb 2023, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The Facom tool is the one in the photo I posted. It's a simple pressure tool, not a vacuum tool. It's used for pressurising the cooling system to test for leaks and/or bleed the system. I think the workshop manual reference to 0.5bar should be read as 0.5bar over atmospheric pressure as the hydraulic system needs a slight over-pressure to prime it after it's been drained.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
HydroFreak

Post by HydroFreak »

bobins wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 06:56 The Facom tool is the one in the photo I posted. It's a simple pressure tool, not a vacuum tool. It's used for pressurising the cooling system to test for leaks and/or bleed the system. I think the workshop manual reference to 0.5bar should be read as 0.5bar over atmospheric pressure as the hydraulic system needs a slight over-pressure to prime it after it's been drained.
Fair enough, so on that basis it must be a self-bleeding system. Never seen that before but I'm not exactly an expert on these cars!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

There's two versions of pressure= gauge and absolute.

In this application it would be normal to take these as gauge pressures, hence 0.5 bar above atmospheric (hence positive pressure)
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: BMW 635D
Citroen C5 Tourer (X7) 3.0HDi Exclusive
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Bravo Matt - spoken like a true engineer :-)