Solar panels.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Solar panels.

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:21 I've seen juvenile's try and tackle a too big meal so maybe it was eyeing you up or perhaps you had the effect of flushing out potential meals from the verges you pass?

You may be right Mike... That raises an interesting point in that I do disturb much wildlife whilst cycling...

It's seems to me that most creatures that live near roads are not disturbed in the least by cars and lorries screaming past in all their noise and pollution but are utterly terrified of a passing cyclist or runner and either take flight or run away at top speed...

I find this really quite astounding and quite sad at the same time in how wildlife have so adapted to modern traffic...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Not seen any problems with pigeons on the various solar panels round my way.

From talking to reps previously, the cheap Chinese panels don't last long (a couple of years) before their efficiency (output) drops significantly. You need a good quality panel if you're thinking long-term.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

This got me thinking again. Panel life/degradation figures put about by installers/manufacturers might be 'spun' to tell a good story, so I looked for independent research. The NREL in the USA has published some data.

https://www.nrel.gov/pv/lifetime.html

This chart is perhaps the most interesting - median degradation is 0.5% pa, mean is 0.8% because there are some 'bad ones' out there.

https://www.nrel.gov/pv/assets/images/p ... phic_8.jpg

The normal quoted life is 20 years at which point they should still be at least 80% efficient. Extrapolating the chart and compounding over 20 years, one with median 0.5% degradation would be 90.9% efficient after 20 years, the worst (I've used 3.8% from the right hand side of the chart) would be only 47.8% efficient - a real difference.

I guess all salesmen (sorry, "green energy consultants") will say theirs is the best, but how does the buyer know what they are getting?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that was one advantage of the 'rent a roof' scheme, as they are getting the feed in tariff I would think they would want them to last.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My head aches. :(

Three companies sent by Quotatis comparison site.

Company one, fairly local, quotes for 14 Peimar polycrystalline panels (Italian) £4580

Company two a nationwide group quotes for 14 no name panels £8580, said the only way to get down under six grand was to reduce the job to only five panels. (Wished him a quick goodbye)

Company three rep doesn't turn up, phone call says he's got flu but they can quote online by using Google Earth to do the necessary measurement etc. quote £5200 for 14 JA Solar (Chinese) monocrystalline panels.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Mmm, the £4850 one sounds very reasonable but don't know anything about Italian panels. I would think there would be a website where you can compare them. You need a decent inverter too, although it will come with a guarantee. There is a website/firm devoted solely to alternative energy and a lot of people with a lot of experience but I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, if I remember I will post it on here.

Peter

Here it is: https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

IIRC, 3 types of panel. As you would expect, most efficient are the most expensive etc. Google will give you all the info on panel types and construction, as will googling manufacturers as they knock the opposition - I always find that most instructive lol.
Do not be too quick to rubbish the Chinese - their best are equal to or better than US/European; the problem there is finding out which.
Sadly, too many tall trees near me. Good luck
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

A thought came to me - Ikea do solar panels. Not saying you should buy from them, but their website is interesting - in their assumptions they say 0.7% pa degradation. Maybe have a look and use it as a 'baseline' for comparisons.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini