Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Re: Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

Post by dave_xsara »

Got the axle in over the weekend. Was a simple enough job - although I have access to a lift which made thing much simpler.

Took a slightly different approach in that we disassembled the components from the axle whilst it was still on car and then dropped it out. Swapped in the new mounts and then offered up the new axle. This allowed use to reuse the brake pipes and removing the ABS sensor at the connection at rear of fuel tank meant that we didn't need to touch it down at the hub which is good as the bolts there are beyond repair.

Most of the kit is back on, but like Mike we need to get the hubs off the old axle. Going to try with a puller to see if it will come off. However, one of the bearings is completely shot with a lot of play in it so I suspect that new hubs will be required.

So far it has taken approx 5 hours to get the new axle back in situ and components tightened back up. Only sheared one minor bolt for a handbrake cable clamp when swapping over, so looking good so far. Handbrake cables required as well - for some unknown reason the cables don't seem to last very long before the seize up. Don't think we will bother putting on back plates - I've had endless trouble with them in the past. So we'll wait for the MOT centre to pick us up on it!

The mounts seemed okay but there is a significant amount of ovaling around the pin which goes through the rubber in the mounts at the front side. However, they all seemed tired.

I got the car steam cleaned underneath prior to doing this work as I'll be resealing it all when complete.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Bit more progress last night. Managed to get the hubs off using a puller and it is all intact. Mechanic says that both sets of bearings are okay and n good condition (contrary to what I seen/thought). So he will tidy the hubs up, repack them with grease and get them fitted again.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

The Xsara is back on the road now. Front and rear suspension have been overhauled.
The best way to describe the car now is - tight. No vagueness in corners, not bumping, banging, etc. The roadholding is so much better. Very happy so far with the outcome.

When checking the remainder of the car I noticed that the DS front wheeltrim had rotated on the rim and bent the valve stalk. I'll be getting it replaced now when I leave it in for alignment.
I've had this problem once before and it caused a blowout. Not sure what to do here. Currently driving without trims on. Any suggestions - apart from buying new trims?

Driving it again after a layoff for this work has reminded me of the lack of acceleration, but I don't think there is much can be done about that at this stage.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, that's excellent :)
dave_xsara wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 12:07 When checking the remainder of the car I noticed that the DS front wheeltrim had rotated on the rim and bent the valve stalk. I'll be getting it replaced now when I leave it in for alignment.
I've had this problem once before and it caused a blowout.

I had this problem on my Saxo... Reminds me, I must pop a new valve in...

Always worth inspecting the valves for damage when doing the weekly checks... My Saxo spare went in the same way... Ex-owner never bothered to have it replaced though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Did you have a cure for it - apart from weekly checks or removal?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dave_xsara wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 15:00 Did you have a cure for it - apart from weekly checks or removal?

On the Saxo it will happen if the wheeltrim is not replaced properly with the valve stem properly aligned with the cutout in the wheeltrim...

When properly aligned, there is no issue but if not then the wire around the inside of the trip frets against the stem and cuts into it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Just looked at the car there and the rear ride height doesn't look right.
Passenger side rear: 62.5cm (24.6inches)
Driver side rear: 59.5cm (23.4inches)
Both measured from ground to wheel arch (bodywork) through centre line of the hub.

I presume this is caused by incorrect setup of the axle?
Will it make a difference to the handling?
Finally, is it easy to resolve for a home mechanic?

Front looks okay - 64.5cm +- 2mm either side.

Edit: Corrected PSR height in cm.
Last edited by dave_xsara on 20 Feb 2018, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Hi Dave,

Is it parked on level ground? Does each side bounce without any knocks?
Have you got a load of weight in the left side of the boot?

Your post above suggested it handled OK. Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but are you sure something is wrong?

My car feels different now, in a good sort of way.

EDIT: It's off topic, but I'm sure you understand that when the car is sitting, the height of the front wheels could influence the opposite corner.

Mike.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

I moved the car onto a different area of driveway and remeasured and there is now 5mm of difference - nothing. I was a bit miffed as I didn't notice this previously!

I'm not sure why there was difference. The car had no load inside it and the incline of the ground was slight - just enough to let water run off and not enough in my opinion to transfer such as weight difference to another side resulting in 1" of difference.
Front heights are fine.

Car is driving well now - if only the road service would do their job, otherwise this suspension will be banjaxed in no time. :(