How's your DPF?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

How's your DPF?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Have you seen the latest BBC expose, "Thousands of diesels with their DPF removed"
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: How's your DPF?

Post by bobins »

Which is worse, though ? There's also an interesting BBC article on car emissions that shows up the 'inaccuracies' in the current Euro testing regime. Inaccuracies is putting it mildly. :shock:

Quote: (referencing NOx)

"Here are two examples:

~ The Renault Megane Experience (1461cc) produces 0.991g/km - 12 times the limit (made in 2016, tested in January 2017)
~ The Fiat 500X CityLook Popstar (1598cc) produces 1.153g/km - 14 times the limit (made in 2015, tested in December 2015)
But the worst is the Nissan Qashqai, which last month overtook the Ford Fiesta to become the UK's most registered car (counting diesel and petrol models together).
The Qashqai N-Connecta DCI CVT (1598cc) produces 1.46g of NOx per kilometre. That is more than 18 times Europe's 0.08g/km limit. "

The article also links to the Equa Index - real world car emissions data.
The whole article is worth a read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... ar_exhaust
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

They are all dinosaurs now, petrol and diesel.
We will soon shift to much cleaner BEVs and a rethink of urban transportation.
In the meantime, governments will do their utmost to square the circle that is health/environment and the car makers' profits. Expect half-truths and worse as part of that. Hybrids are a good example.
A lot of silence at the moment about petrol exhausts, because if they admit that they're also damaging, the game is up.
Depressing, but not unexpected.
There really isn't much more that can be wrung out of a petroleum-fuelled ICE now.
Time to move on.
Chris
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I read somewhere that tyres and brakes are emitting 'high' levels of particulates... no doubt this will be the next attack vector of the anti car crusade once diesels, petrols and anything not purely electric has been driven driven from the road.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I <3 my DPF and it's just fine and dandy and present, doing it's job. :D

Old story I read in the Guardian last year which also quoted a gov.uk press release from the year before and said ministers were aware of it in 2014. BBC really is floundering lately.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

EDC5 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 12:11 I read somewhere that tyres and brakes are emitting 'high' levels of particulates... no doubt this will be the next attack vector of the anti car crusade once diesels, petrols and anything not purely electric has been driven driven from the road.

Judging by the stench of rubber as I cross an M1 motorway overbridge on my to and from work I can believe that...

Those findings with how badly modern diesels exceed the limits don't surprise me - again, from my bicycle saddle I know only too well how a lot of modern and so-called clean diesels smoke like troopers and stink. I'd still love to know how a real 'dinosaur' such as an XUD and an early 8V non-DPF HDi compares... I'll wager they're cleaner...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When I ran mine on locally made biodiesel my unscientific findings are that it ran cleaner - the exhaust smelled nothing like diesel, more a faint isopropanol fragrance and definitely no smoke.
Probably ultra-toxic but no-one died from it AFAIK.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

CitroJim wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 13:51
EDC5 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 12:11 I read somewhere that tyres and brakes are emitting 'high' levels of particulates... no doubt this will be the next attack vector of the anti car crusade once diesels, petrols and anything not purely electric has been driven driven from the road.

Judging by the stench of rubber as I cross an M1 motorway overbridge on my to and from work I can believe that...

Those findings with how badly modern diesels exceed the limits don't surprise me - again, from my bicycle saddle I know only too well how a lot of modern and so-called clean diesels smoke like troopers and stink. I'd still love to know how a real 'dinosaur' such as an XUD and an early 8V non-DPF HDi compares... I'll wager they're cleaner...

From what I understand the exhaust from an older diesel produces large particulates which are less of a problem than the smaller particulates that aren't trapped by a FAP.
myglaren wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 14:02 When I ran mine on locally made biodiesel my unscientific findings are that it ran cleaner - the exhaust smelled nothing like diesel, more a faint isopropanol fragrance and definitely no smoke.
True, the extra oxygen content of oils can produce more Aldehydes which are not very nice to breathe :(

On topic: I get a bit paranoid about my DPF and check with lexia a little too often when it's due for a regeneration. I once caught a regeneration whilst driving and saw the live data, the temperature got to about 650 degrees if I remember correctly :oops:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

EDC5 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 15:40
CitroJim wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 13:51

From what I understand the exhaust from an older diesel produces large particulates which are less of a problem than the smaller particulates that aren't trapped by a FAP.
myglaren wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 14:02 When I ran mine on locally made biodiesel my unscientific findings are that it ran cleaner - the exhaust smelled nothing like diesel, more a faint isopropanol fragrance and definitely no smoke.
True, the extra oxygen content of oils can produce more Aldehydes which are not very nice to breathe :(

On topic: I get a bit paranoid about my DPF and check with lexia a little too often when it's due for a regeneration. I once caught a regeneration whilst driving and saw the live data, the temperature got to about 650 degrees if I remember correctly :oops:

Odd that you should say that as I became allergic to aldehydes a few years ago - induced by exposure to methyl isocyanate at work.
The exhaust smell was quite pleasant (I have no aversion to isoprop) but if it were indeed aldehydes I would have suffered agonies from the exhaust.
The biodiesel preceded the allergy though and none available now.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

myglaren wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 19:26
Odd that you should say that as I became allergic to aldehydes a few years ago - induced by exposure to methyl isocyanate at work.
The exhaust smell was quite pleasant (I have no aversion to isoprop) but if it were indeed aldehydes I would have suffered agonies from the exhaust.
Methyl isocyanate is nasty stuff (Bhopal disaster if I remember my safety course correctly!). Is it just that one aldehyde you're allergic to if you don't mind me asking? as it's they're a broad category of organic compounds. I remember reading a paper once about the different exhaust chemistries of diesel engines running biofuels and I think an increase in the aldehyde content was noted for some oils.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Well until recently without help from this forum I couldn't access my C5 mk2 dpf info. But it does look as though my activities once a month has lead to some regeneration. I've been driving along g the A14 at night in the winter doing 42 miles in fourth gear at 3,000 rpm roughly 72 mph to get the car to regenerate the exhaust. In summer months I've been doing only 25 miles to achieve the same. I've only done 7k so far this year with a lot of very small journeys but my actions seem to be paying off.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

EDC5 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 21:00
myglaren wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 19:26
Methyl isocyanate is nasty stuff (Bhopal disaster if I remember my safety course correctly!). Is it just that one aldehyde you're allergic to if you don't mind me asking? as it's they're a broad category of organic compounds. I remember reading a paper once about the different exhaust chemistries of diesel engines running biofuels and I think an increase in the aldehyde content was noted for some oils.

Tobacco smoke, deodorants, perfumes, aftershave, fabric conditioners/washing powders/detergents, most soaps, shampoos - it is a very long list :)

Oddly enough I was in my daughter's morgue recently (she is an embalmer) and managed to stay in for almost three minutes.
It is well ventilated and there wasn't much going on but still.

And yes, it was the nasty in the Bhopal disaster and people are still suffering even today.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 21:59 Tobacco smoke, deodorants, perfumes, aftershave, fabric conditioners/washing powders/detergents, most soaps, shampoos - it is a very long list :)

I'm allergic to all of those and then some, including cats, furry animals generally and even the 'smoke' from fake fags :evil:

The only solvent I can use in the workshop is clutch/brake cleaner... Goodness knows why I'm OK with that one but thankfully, I am :)

White spirit is lethal to me now as are all other VOCs, including petrol and diesel.

Then there's all my food allergies :twisted:

Life is a constant battle to find things I'm not allergic to and avoid those I am; not always easy...

I'm basically and fundamentally allergic to the 21st century...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I remember needing to be very careful when using superglue in the same proximity as a hot soldering iron, while assembling pcb's. One tiny drop in contact with the hot tip, and within seconds it was necessary to evacuate that section of the building, including nearby rooms. The diffusion rate of the acrid and eye-watering fumes was so rapid. This happened, accidentally, at least twice.
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Good to know but comes too late.

We used to superglue all sorts of components into circuit boards and never experienced a glue/iron interface - fortunately :)