Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Scrolling

Post by xantia_v6 »

As there seems to be a common dislike for scrolling signatures, I have removed that feature, and applied a hard limit.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Thanks Mike, appreciate it.
elma

Post by elma »

Oh dear, cleared the cache but still got the scrolling signatures.
Why always me?
I'll try again tomorrow, doubt it's anything to do with the forum as this has happened a few times now.

update:
Cleared again and now its fine.
I wonder if its because I'm usually logged in on 2 devices.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Thanks. Now a question.

Why is there such a pandering to mobile devices? Are they that great a percentage of our user base method of access? And further, why does the mobile viewing experience have to affect the main (and I DO believe it is the main) forum appearance? I would have thought that mobile URLs would be prefixed 'm' and could do their own thing.

And then we could take the limit off the signature area.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
elma

Post by elma »

It's because tapatalks no longer supported that so much effort is going into the mobile experience.

I've been wondering the same thing about a mobile site. I just assumed PHP doesn't do that but I know nothing of these things.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good point well made Paul. Personally I find all mobile devices a PITA and I much prefer either a laptop or desktop with a decent sized screen. Using a mobile device to me is like peering out at the world through a letterbox...

I prefer to be able to see the big picture in full panorama ;)

Maybe Mike can do an m-prefixed version of the site for mobile devices...

Chances are that nowadays mobile users account for a large proportion of members... Certainly the trend is generally away from desktops and laptops - especially amongst the younger generations...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Actually I now find the site better on my mobile than the laptop. I rarely log in in the laptop anymore.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The site is already 'responsive' in that is will resize to fit different mobile screens, and of course some of the elements and controls will also be visible or not, depending on how much screen real estate an individual's device has. As long as the posts can be read, and the main buttons / options are available then that is the key thing. We can never expect to have the full site controls fully displayed on a small mobile device.

I always use the desktop 80% of the time responding to posts where I need access to other resources, but I do need to have basic functionality for those times where I don't have access to my PC or that allows me to perform certain other functions relatively easily. Having a slightly larger mobile screen gives me the ability to read more of the posts in portrait without all the unnecessary avatars, but rotating the screen to landscape allows more of the control buttons and the avatars to display perfectly, for me to interact with if needed. It's no hassle scrolling, except for when there is a scroll bar in the signature area, that then requires your fingers to be more accurate when generally scrolling posts, so you don't interact with the signature scroll bars - that becomes counter-productive.

Of course, those with slightly larger screens again - like tablets, can always choose to request the 'Desktop version' of the site they are viewing on some devices. Generally the browser identifies the device and the website serves up the appropriate content for the device screen size. There are apps and browsers that can override this to get the desktop version if required. Amazon is a good example, where I cannot abide the mobile site - it is missing everything that I require, so I request the desktop version to get access to the full menus as I do on the desktop. It is something you have to accept where there are a multitude of devices out there and designers try to accommodate everyone as best they can.

Mike has been able to make some great improvements generally for mobile devices on this site with the removal of Tapatalk. There are other sites that don't always have the technical expertise to implement such changes.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma

Post by elma »

Yes, as I mentioned the mobile experience is that good now it's more convenient for me to just get my phone out of my pocket than go to the laptop. Only if it's a particularly long, detailed post or I need to use multiple resources will I choose the laptop these days.

You've done a really good job yet again Mike.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 12:08 You've done a really good job yet again Mike.

Oh yes, no arguments there at all :D The forum even looks good and is usable on a clunky old Windows phone :)

Much credit to Mike for the excellent work done...

Despite that, for reasons already stated I don't enjoy using any mobile device to use the forum or any other site for that matter..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Our software does not directly record the proportion of each type of device, but Google search provides a breakdown of devices that clicked on links to this site in the past 90 days as:
Desktop: 58719
Tablet: 14615
Mobile: 79816
elma

Post by elma »

Considering that most active members use a bookmark that's quite impressive.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Interesting stats. Now some hypothesising.

As Elma says, I would agree that most (the vast majority?) of active members/posters will already have a screen open (I have four tabs kept open) or bookmarked ready for use. None of these I believe would appear in those stats. All those in the stats are most likely transient visitors and only a tiny percentage are likely to stay and register and, of those, fewer again will actively post.

Whilst I fully support efforts (big thanks to Mike especially) to attract new members and, especially, posters we must accept that the changes are only based on the stats that came from links. We have absolutely no idea (apart from those who have commented) what the viewing habits of most of the active members are.

Comments?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
elma

Post by elma »

Can someone please remind me how to clear the cache on an android phone using chrome.
Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

From Google:
On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app.
Tap More More and then Settings.
Under "Advanced," tap Privacy and then Clear browsing data.
At the top, under "Clear data from the," tap the Down arrow.
Choose a time, like past hour or past day. To delete everything, select beginning of time.
Select the types of information you want to remove.
Tap Clear data.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc