Notices..what have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Notices..what have you spotted?

Post by doctle »

Kinda makes you want to go!
Oh buggle
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Had Sunday lunch at a pub called the Lion at Trellech this week, they had a notice board outside saying "Beer shortage imminent, panic buy now!"
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

These could possibly go in 'Pictures of the day' but as they're notices - I've put them here.
They were all taken on an official trip to a disused part of one of London Underground's stations a good few years ago. Anyone care to date them ?
The Midland P..... - own work
The Midland P..... - own work
Learning to fly - own work
Learning to fly - own work
Simca - own work
Simca - own work
Express Your Ideas - own work
Express Your Ideas - own work
West Side Story - own work
West Side Story - own work
Terror Of The Tongs - own work
Terror Of The Tongs - own work
Train passing in one of the running tunnels.
As trains go by - own work
As trains go by - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 18:38 These could possibly go in 'Pictures of the day' but as they're notices - I've put them here.
They were all taken on an official trip to a disused part of one of London Underground's stations a good few years ago. Anyone care to date them ?

Well the full Midland P poster is here

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AW-QVCYycMA/ ... ullman.jpg
and the blurb with it from here http://transpressnz.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... oster.html

"In July 1960 the Midland Pullman was relaunched as a luxury all-first-class service using two new Blue Pullman six-car diesel-electric units, aimed at covering the high end of the Manchester-London business market while services on the West Coast Main Line were disrupted during electrification. It called only at Cheadle Heath (now closed), and made the journey from London to Manchester in a record 3 hours 15 minutes. The best time between the two cities immediately previously had been 3 hours 50 minutes.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 18:38 These could possibly go in 'Pictures of the day' but as they're notices - I've put them here.

They are a fascinating series of pictures. not only because not one of the remnants of posters photographed includes a date! or the info with the date on as you may expect on the West Side Story poster is too small or too indistinct to work it out.

So the Pullman poster is pretty much 1960 ish bang on. The strangely titled "Terror of the Tongs" came out in 1961..wonder if it was any good? There is a car in the "Learn to Fly" poster which very much looks like the Hillman Imp would take it up to 1963 onwards for the earliest Imp, and the Simca 1000 was at the Paris Motor Show in 1961.

Dale Carnegie would not definitely not have been giving the tuition himself on the Dale Carnegie courses so no clues there!

Yes all in all its early 60's for me.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 20:51
They are a fascinating series of pictures. not only because not one of the remnants of posters photographed includes a date! or the info with the date on as you may expect on the West Side Story poster is too small or too indistinct to work it out.

Yes all in all its early 60's for me.

Regards Neil

I'd happily go with 'early 60s' - it all seems to fit for that. They've sat there on that wall for nigh on 50 years with only very occasional visitors casting a glance at them. I've got another photo from that set advertising the film 'Psycho - Cert X' which would put it from 1960 onwards. The 'Motor Cycle Racing' on the left of The Terror Of The Tongs shot is taking place at Crystal Palace ! I've got a few more from that venture into the lesser spotted corners of LU - even the graffiti was wonderfully dated : every now and then we'd come across scrawlings from 'The Lemon Army', assumed to have dated from the late 70s / early 80s.

By the way, if anyone wants to sign up for the 'Dale Carnegie Course', you can get details from: 5th Floor, Evelyn House, 62 Oxford Street, W1. :lol:
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 21:25 every now and then we'd come across scrawlings from 'The Lemon Army', assumed to have dated from the late 70s / early 80s.

You may not have seen it over at the Pickled Egg...but "Sham 69" of "Hurry up Harry" fame took their name from a bit of faded grafitti which formerly read "Walton & Hersham 69" to commemorate Walton and Hersham winning the Athenian League Premier Division in 1969.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 20:51 The strangely titled "Terror of the Tongs" came out in 1961..wonder if it was any good?

Regards Neil

This from Wikipedia possibly answers your question :-D

"The Hammer Story: The Authorised History of Hammer Films wrote of the film: "The Terror of the Tongs, perhaps thankfully a rarely-seen film, remains resolutely undistinguished in almost every department." "

Also - "On the movies opening matinee showing at a Picture House in Sauchiehall Street Glasgow, a crowd of rowdy teenagers and young adults both male and female ran down the street shouting "Tongs" causing a melee in which the police had to be called. To this day in Glasgow gang culture the cry of "tongs ya bass" can often be heard wherever youths come together to fight in a show of territorial loyalty."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_of_the_Tongs
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bobins, loved your sequence of the London Underground pictures :D

I'm very, very interested in things like that and have an enduring interest in discovering and learning much about disused railways and industrial archaeology...

Only on Saturday during my bike ride I discovered evidence of a disused railway that was new to me and the discovery process starts all over again ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's an interest I share with you Jim, ever been to Beamish? Lots of industrial and railway videos on youtube, but I expect you know that.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 10:08 That's an interest I share with you Jim, ever been to Beamish?

No, I'd like to Peter but the distance is a big problem for me... It is well beyond my driving range.

Youtube videos, sadly, I find almost impossible to watch... I get quite frustrated that quite a lot of interesting stuff is now distributed by them with no clear equivalent static content for those of us who can't absorb video for whatever reason.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry about that Jim, there are some videos that move quite slowly but others that are to fast even for me. There are some of Beamish on there to.

Beamish is worth the trip if you can make it, we shall be going to Yorkshire in September as we usually do, so will probably pay another visit, we would offer you a lift but we are a bit full with all our luggage and a German shepherd. :wink:

I have the handbook they supply which is very interesting but it only gives an overview but I will post it to you if you like but I would like it back. If you are on Skype I could show you some pictures I took or email you some photo's.

There is also the Black country museum which is probably nearer you, never been there myself, keep saying I will.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 16:20 Sorry about that Jim, there are some videos that move quite slowly but others that are to fast even for me. There are some of Beamish on there to.

The other day while I was looking round the North East Film Archive I came across a 26 minute film from 1976, very much the early days of the open-air museum. Its a gentle sort of presentation featuring Frank Atkinson the museum founder and Director, with his very knowledgable reponses to the presenter and his vision for the museum.

It is much to his and others great credit that Beamish has grown into what it is today. The method of taking down buildings stone by stone and brick by brick and transporting them to Beamish and rebuilding them...Churches/shops/station/cottages/ collieries/ bridges.....took great vision and no doubt persuasive and passionate arguments to the various committees of the funding partners.

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/fil ... air-museum

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter, I'll likely investigate travel to/from these places via public transport if that's at all possible and make an adventure of it...

I quite enjoy a train journey although it's a long time since I've been on one of any substance now... Not since 2010 if memory serves...

A coach is a possibility maybe but I've never been on one in my life, not for that sort of trip anyway...

All this talk of Beamish is really making me keen to visit it... Thanks both Peter and Neil :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 17:25 A coach is a possibility maybe but I've never been on one in my life, not for that sort of trip anyway...

I have made quite a few journeys on the overnight national express or megabus from Newcastle to London and back...in the past.

Yes it can be dirt cheap, certainly used to be. While it was just about put-up-able, and the sunrise over Milton Keynes is very beautiful, my last journey home on the megabus had me vowing never again. Nothing against the megabus it does what it says on the tin leaves London 4 ish gets into Newcastle at 11.30 ish and its good value for money. Its just not for me anymore. I found it excruciatingly boring and uncomfortable, I had finished everything I had to eat or drink before it got out of London and it would be 7 or more hours before we got to Newcastle.

You may love it Jim, not for me any more though.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey