Knocking noises whilst cornering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

jgjones,
as you can see form the above replies there are many possibilities and therefore the diagnosis depends on an accurate description of the symptoms.
If you suspect a CV joint then find a deserted car park somewhere. Stop the car, apply full lock one way, put it in first and drive around in circles at a reasonable pace. The noise from a defective CV joint is quite distinctive. If you imagine the ball bearings inside the joint (there's about 8-12 of them) and something rough on the outside then the frequency will be a multiple of the rotational frequency of the roadwheel. Try it left handed and right handed. The noise will be worse when the defective CV joint is on the outside of the circle.
From your description however, it could be an engine mount. When the car goes around a bend the engine mounts try to keep the engine in the miiddle of the engine bay. If they're shot the engine will move and something will touch the body. It might be the engine itself or it may be the exhaust, but the normal engine vibration will bypass the mountings and use the body like a drum amplifying the noise.
Hope this helps
cheers
noz
jgjones095
My Cars:

Post by jgjones095 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

If the axle was wobbling - then the axle is in fact damaged. May happen if you hit a curb, stone or other obstacles - or if car has been towed using the axle as towpoint.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now that you mention that, i did nit a kerb am some speed (30-35 mph) with my front drivers side wheel - and put a dent in the rim. [:(!]- Didnt see the kerb as it was stuck in the middle of the road with bollards on top of it.
This did cause havoc with my wheel balance a year later. I guess it could have caused some damage to the axle.
Man - what a task to try and find the f*****g pain in the arse of a component that is causing this damn noise [:(].
Cheers for you help guys, once i find out what is causing it i shall let you all know.
<hr noshade size="1">
Jonathan
95 AX Cascade - 68k
87 AX RE - 135k