Dodgy MOT?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Dodgy MOT?

Post by van ordinaire »

Of course they're meant for people who never take their own wheels off but a useful back-up nevertheless (I've not known them not to work) & should have averted the disster that prompted this thread.

Also, with, what I thought was the more modern system, what appears to be 2 leads that is triggered by that being severed, if you dispense with the sensors, you have to bridge the 2-pin socket, or the light will be on all the time AND, if the pads have flying leads you'd have to cut them off or tie them up out of the way - might just as well plug the leads in surely?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

On a Xantia bridging the 2 pins would turn on the lights.
The wires have plastic caps on the ends (pad end) which poke through holes in the backing plate so when the friction material is low the plastic should be rubbed off and the wires circuit completed using the brake disc as a conductor.
I think the reason they never seem to work right is water bridging the 2 pin connector and the fact that Xantias rarely wear front brakes evenly. As they are only fitted to the outer pad if the inner pad wears faster (mine usually do) you wouldn't be warned anyhow.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Same with my C5, if not fitted, there is no circuit to bring on the warning light.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks fr setting record straight on the MOT issue guys. You also explained my next query about the brake wear indicators. On close inspection the wires had come away from the pads but this did not set off the warning light! Yup defo a Citroën! All fixed now and brakes working very well
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That isn't meant to set off the warning light, only when the wires are shorted out will the light come on.
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

It's a test not a service.

If it works on the day, you pass. Responsibility for maintaining your car remains with you. If the pads were due for replacement, why hadn't you noticed?