MikeT's Dashcam captures

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: MikeT's Dashcam captures

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We're just trying to iron out the teething issues post upgrade - so will park this one for a bit and will look into it a s soon as poss. :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

MikeT wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 14:45
Admin: Does this forum not support vimeo embedding?

At least these marauding hooligans show some semblance of road-awareness.

And fair's fair, I can admit my own mistakes. I forgot to turn off the cloaking device in time.

Speaking of admitting mistakes I have to hang my head in shame today.
Long straight 30mph road, approaching a bus stop with a pedestrian crossing a bit before it.
I always check carefully for anyone approaching the crossing, most mornings there is a little girl with her dad, going for the bus, plus lots of other folks depending on the time.
I swept through the crossing and only as I was on it saw a girl - mid teens by the look of her, waiting on the kerb.

She was heavily camouflaged, dark browns and greens with lots of trees behind her but that is a poor excuse.
Mortified, especially as the Audi following stopped for her :(

Forty lashes I think.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'm pretty sure she didn't notice it was a Give Way junction and wasn't looking in my direction at all until I gave a warning. (It looks more distant due to wide-angle lens)

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Same junction again.
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Busy main roundabout.......typical behaviour
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Looking at that it seems the roundabout is poorly designed, anyone in the left hand lane (where your offenders are) has their view blocked by the vehicle to the right of them until they all move on.

A place to be doubly careful when approaching from where you do.

A similar roundabout locally here has traffic light control, part time in busy periods.

They've also spent the last many months redesigning it for better traffic movement...............they hope. :)

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/roads ... ovements/
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

IIRC, it's national, intentional, traffic calming, designed to create uncertainty. The idea being that road users are forced to be more careful when negotiating junctions.

This is a classic example where the view of oncoming traffic is obscured by the addition of vegetative lattice on the central reservation (approach to Cooper Dean Roundabout). For me, at least, it has the desired effect. With a clear view, I would happily enter that junction at speed when I consider it safe to do so. Now I am forced to slow to a crawl before I can best judge when to proceed.
Attachments
ObstructedView.JPG
ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Now I know why older Citroen parts are harder to get hold of... The New Forest Ponies have run off with them all! :D
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Same roundabout, same confusion. This driver was quite busy talking to his passenger (leaning over and facing them with animated hand gestures) and studying his sat-nav both before and after negotiating the junctions.

This is another local roundabout (hurn) I traverse a few times each week. However, the last three occasions, this has happened to me and I think, it's again the road layout that adds to confusion
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I know what was happening in the first one, his missus was navigating. :-D
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

He certainly seemed more engaged in what was going on inside his vehicle than outside. It makes me cringe to see drivers giving eye contact to people they're talking to in their car when driving.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Typically, yesterday I had an Audi road-rager cut me up and threaten me with violence for standing my ground, only to find I failed to capture it all on dashcam. It was surreal, because when I faced up to him on first threat, he got back in his car... only to once again jump out in heavy traffic after I'd got in front of him and asked why all the rage for the sake of one car's length, he ran up to my car, half-eaten pork pie in hand, asking if I wanted him to drag me out of my car. Again, he walked away when I answered Yes, please.

However, the cam was working today and I bring you a couple of screenshots of from an annual local event. This is the first welcoming scarecrow, it reads Oyez, Oyez, the Bisterne Annual Scarecrow Festival.
Scarecrow1.JPG
This on has Jame's May face, wearing tread-marked overalls, and the banner read "Captain Slow says drive carefully, scarecrows are about"
Scarecrow2.JPG
And lastly I award this one, Impatient driver of the day. He caught up with me some way back when travelling @50mph in a 50 zone. He tailgated me when we entered a 30 (even though I was following traffic @33) and once we entered a 40, he overtook me (wouldn't have been possible if I tailgated as he does) only to hold me up while he waited to turn right. :x

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

What a twonk!

My best tailgate angst story was on the M40, Easter 1998. There was an awful lot of rain that day, and everywhere around the central midlands was grid locked. We were crawling along the M40 - me driving a BX TD - I was just letting it trundle along at idle in 1st, and the gap in front had run out to maybe 150m. Matey behind in a minibus took great umbrage at this and managed to move over and undertake me with much light flashing horn beeping, and hanging out the window shouting and gesticulating. Must have put 5 years on him. 2 hours, and only about 5 miles later, I was along side him....!!
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I was passed yesterday in a 50 zone by some moron who must have been doing damn near a ton through the solid white line hatch marks on the A48, have it on dash cam but couldn't work out how to post it here.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I've had people pull out from junctions on me before and I can adjust speed to compensate but I wasn't expecting this deviation, forcing a full stop. Not sure where his head was at but I got no eye contact.