C5, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That may well drop, it always starts out high like that then settles once you hit a few inclines. As a comparison, in my old Mark II 138 I only averaged 38 to 42.8 in a rural hilly environment. If I ever filled up on the flats it always went to the 50s and 60s, but rapidly settled to the previous values.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That economy is exceptional Dave; you must be a very skilful driver to achieve that consistently :)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Still remember being staggered by the range in the Xantia, first time I'd ever had a car where I could fill up in Milton Keynes, drive to Aberdeen and still have enough fuel to wander around for a couple of days before filling up (think I arrived with about 1/3rd a tank left). The cruising economy even from the old 1.9TD was fantastic - just checked my records and it was 52mpg I got on that run.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've done even better than that with Gabriel Zel, I've seen over 60 mpg but admittedly I am a very sedate driver!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

I've seen figures that way too Jim, but over a 500 odd mile trip - especially as I was in emergency mode at the time so was, shall we say "not hanging about" - I thought was a decent average.

Would happily do the trip again, fantastic, relaxed long distance cruiser that car is.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 18:18
fantastic, relaxed long distance cruiser that car is.

Absolutely :) One of the very best and better than the Activa in that role...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I've done 427 miles today for a total of 493 miles since last fill up (Friday).

Managed to get 44.7 mpg out of it and that is without babying it at all. According to the onboard computer that is surprisingly accurate.

Stuck in a queue on the A1 for about half an hour creeping forward at about 2mph too (nasty accident) and the usual 50mph stretches.

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Overall mpg today was 45.6 which I'm still very impressed with. It was a lot busier coming home as the Silverstone traffic was also on the road and I had to go rather close to the speed limit once or twice, honest officer. :oops: I also had the ac on a few times as the car seemed very stuffy until I realised I'd got recirc switched on, doh! It cooled down once I let the fresh air in. :roll:

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Today I had to take my daughter in law into Birmingham for an appointment. I don't like driving round there now I'm older, you have to have eyes everywhere. Anyway we did ok despite the best efforts of the satnav to route us way out down the motorway. We had just parked on the private carpark when there was a loud bang and the rear screen shattered! To say I nearly pooped my pants was an understatement, it was like a bomb going off. It just disintegrated into a thousand pieces, I rang the insurance there and then and after a bit of messing about it will hopefully be repaired tomorrow. Originally they said Thursday so I complained that the car was not secure and I couldn't lock it and they managed to fit me in tomorrow.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, that's a shock Dave! was the window in direct sun for a while when it let go?

Last time I saw that happen was on a MK1 Vauxhall Cavalier back in the 70s and direct sun and heat was blamed then.

Well done on driving at all in Birmingham! I couldn't now even if I wanted to. My limit currently is Tesco and back; one major reason I was unable to attend the National yesterday :(

I have got to drive to my holiday destination in the New Forest next week. Luckily I know the area and route well so should be OK. Once I'm there the car will then not move for a week and transport will be by bike and foot...

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

It was/is hot and sunny Jim but I don't know what it was. Yes years ago when I was a lift engineer I was in and out of Birmingham and London all the time but I'm not comfortable doing it now.

The New Forest will be lovely Jim, just chill out and recharge your batteries. It was nice yesterday and the burgers were top drawer. I'm hoping to get to the Chevrons if I don't get too much resistance from wifey and with a bit of luck it will be drier than last year.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Commiserations on the dead screen Dave :(

Last time I was in Brum was in a clapped out mini cooper.
Drove around for ages trying to find the venue (Glee Club for Heather Nova).
I said "OK, We'll park here and look around" Turned out we had no choice as the engine died there and we had to push it into a parking bay and discovered we had no change for the meter and ten minutes to find the venue.

Took us half an hour and was well worth it.
No ticket on return and it just fired up straight away.
Getting home was another story altogether.
Wouldn't fancy driving in Brum now :(

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Glee club it's down a side road not far from the Hippodrome theatre. I was thinking the back screen is the opening type but it's not opened since I owned it. I hope they can do it ok.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Not opening is very usual but fixable. I have done mine when I had the estate and James (Hellrazorator) has done his, though a different cause to mine.

It was our first and only trip to Brum so we were totally lost and locals sending us up and down, here and there didn't help in the slightest, chanced upon it by accident in the end.

All the problems were well worth it, she was magnificent despite being eight months pregnant (she has a reputation for being hit and miss).

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On MY C5 the rear window not opening was because the switch had suffered water ingress. A replacement switch was had from Peugeot for around £40. While you can access the mechanism it would be worth testing the switch. Unplug the lead, and use a multi-meter to check whether the switch works.