Citroen C5 - Front suspension stuck

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andyhugill
My Cars: citroen c5 mk3

Re: Citroen C5 - Front suspension stuck

Post by andyhugill »

Thank you Marc, i have received the pdf and is very useful. Since then i have jacked the car up at the front with both wheels off the ground to take the weight off them and the wheels have dropped to full height but now they wont raise again so it's stuck full height.
I've ordered a lexia from easy diagnostics so will see what that says.

Regards......Andrew
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Andrew - you are welcome, but please also be aware that when raising more than one wheel off the ground with the wheels suspended, you MUST always remove the LDS tank cap first, to avoid pressurisation issues that can burst the tank. Replace the cap when the car is back on the ground. Always make your tyre fitting / garage aware of this too, when they raise the car up with the wheels freely suspended - some know to do this - others don't! Also, if they use raise on a post lift, you should raise the suspension to high as well to further reduce the risk, then lower and then replace the cap after it has returned to the ground.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Xantippa wrote:I´ve got cheap Lexia clone from aliexpress, and I´ve managed to adjust ride height with it on X7.

How long ago did you buy it?
Full or partial chip? What Rev firmware is fitted?
What year X7 was that?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I've bought it on 2014. Car was 2008 Exclusive X7.

Don't know about firmware.

Adjusting height was a bit of hit and miss, but I figured it out eventually. :D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It could be a partial chip type then as your car is so early. Even my incredibly old Lexia (version 3 point something from about 2008) has the X7 as a vehicle choice. Never tried it out on one though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Andy, when you changed the front wishbones did you jack the car up without first setting the suspension to maximum height? If so, it is quite common in my experience for the car to sink to low height when you put the weight back on the wheels.

To sort this I usually find that jacking the car up slightly from the low position, but not so much that the wheels come of the floor, and then running the suspension pump using the height adjust button sorts it.

I reckon that the reason the suspension will not automatically raise from this condition is that suspension control unit sees the signals from the height controls as faulty when the front is on low height and the back on normal height.

I understand that the front suspension is now stuck on high. I would try raising the back of the car using the jack and then running the suspension pump (try both up and down). Effectively, as noted above, the issue of the suspension freezing with the front in low or high height when the back is normal height seems to be caused by the unexpected difference in the height of the front compared to the back, which the suspension controller doesn't like and assumes one or more sensors to be faulty, and so is disabled.

If I were you I would leave messing with settings using a Lexia until you have explored all mechanical options.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
andyhugill
My Cars: citroen c5 mk3

Post by andyhugill »

Next chapter - i have installed lexia and diagbox and it will let me run diagnostics and some basic functions of the suspension, ie raise or lower front or rear. When i try and raise the front or rear the pump runs for 1 second then stops. You can feel the suspension judder slightly but then cuts out. I summising that the sensors need calibrating but diagbox wont let me go into the repair or documentation menus and asks for a username and password to continue, diagbox version is upgraded to 7.57 as suggested by easy diagnostics.
SInce my previous posts i have put the front sensor on the rear to check if the sensor was faulty and now the rear is stuck down and not working like it did previously, a warning has now come on in the car saying that suspension is faulty and the buttons will not operate. I have now put the sensors back where they were and dropped the car to the ground. I'm assuming i need to be into the repair and documentation section and recalibrate the sensors, or reset on the ecu for the suspension.
Any ideas to get diagbox working properly would be greatly appreciated. Should i go back to a previous version? I know the documentation is there from the download. At the moment i only seem to be getting partial use of the software.

Thanks in advance
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Andy please keep this in one thread rather than two as it gets overlapped and confusing. I have responded to your post in the merged Lexia and Diagbox thread.

As there is slightly more info here than you posted, I would say that moving sensors was not a good idea as they are not the same! This has probably made it worse, I'm sorry to say. Resetting the ECU will not help at this point. As you have removed, reattached and swapped the height sensors over and back, it is probably completely upset the system. I'll have a look at the docs tomorrow to see what the next step might be.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall somebody having issues with the sensors. What he found was that (within the casing) one or more of the three joins had failed. What Citroen appeared to have done was to push three square pins into three round holes, and then trust it will work. Well, it does for a long while, but eventually the connections fail. What this person did was to carefully take off the cover, clean things up, and then applied some solder to the connections. That sorted out the problem.

I would post pictures, but I am not sure that they are still available. Try looking in Trainmans' thread about his C6. I know I posted the information there.

EDIT; Found the thread, but there are no pictures;

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 56736&hili
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!