Steering rack refurb recommendations ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Steering rack refurb recommendations ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Had mine done at about 66k - as soon as it started leaking oil - didn't hang about and had the revised rack fitted under warranty. It really depends on factors such as where you live i.e. - does it rain a lot, do you drive it in the wet a lot, through flooded roads - are you by the sea, etc., There's too many factors like this to say for sure, but ultimately it is likely to go if an original, unless you have had it well-greased before now. I suspect if it hasn't been looked at before considering the current mileage, it could only be a matter of time - very hard to say...
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Steering rack refurb recommendations ?

Post by bobins »

Quackers wrote:My X7 C5 is on 88,000 miles (2010 plate) and has no mention of the steering rack ever being replaced, should i be expecting the worse?

To answer your question directly - Yes :(

My 2009 one held out until 88k, then started leaking. Not a bad leak when I noticed it and I got to it before I needed to top up the steering fluid reservoir, but it was leaking and it was only going to get worse. My second hand replacement one had already been fitted to the donor car as a replacement - that car had only done 32k in total - though it was a 2008 model, so although mileage has an effect, it's really a combination of mileage and driving conditions and pot-luck as to when they need replacing.
You can check the condition of the pinion by both getting to it via the footwell, or by looking through the drivers roadwheel and pointing a torch to where the pinion goes into the rack. It does help if you know exactly where to look, but the 'roadwheel' method only takes about 30 seconds to do. You're looking for any dampness in the area or any drips coming off of the pipework or rack where the pinion is.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(