Is this a write off ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Muppets aside, this particular one in our case was 10-15 car bays wide and should never of been there in the first place - he went in the customer car park instead of the delivery park and got stuck!

Muppets was a generalisation of all car drivers.

I've seen this many times with a lorry in the customer car park. It comes from two problems; the unfamiliarity of the driver with the store and/or a complete lack of signs informing the driver where the goods in loading bay is. Guess the wrong way and . . . ooops!
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Richard_C wrote:Their excess is usually 4 figures and anything less than that they prefer to sort it directly.

Spot on. When you're dealing with such large vehicles the companies understand that things will go pear-shaped every now and again.

Ring the company.
mickeymoon

Re: Is this a write off ?

Post by mickeymoon »

On the M6 yesterday, about 11am near Stafford on the Southbound side, it appeared a new Beetle had pulled out in front of an overtaking lorry and been knocked sideways. The traffic and lorry were stopped and the Beetle was tight up against the bumper of the truck at 90 degrees to the direction it should have been going (hit on driver's side, driver next to bumper). Driver and child passenger still sat in talking to copper, huge tyre marks down the road. Car appeared pretty much undamaged!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Wasn't our local trucking "youtube heroes" Arclid Transport was it? there's a much viewed video on there showing one of their drivers pushing a Clio (IIRC) sideways down a wet motorway in just the fashion you describe, and for quite a distance!

Classic "blind spot" type of collision to be fair, but from the audio it seems the trucker is blissfully unaware of his unintentional grille mascot! Must be a real brown-trouser moment that, far more so than failed roll correction on an Activa... Something every one of us "tin-boxed muppets" need to stay aware of, the huge blind spots on heavies not to mention the fact that what can be a relatively major crash for the car driver may barely even be noticed by the trucker due to the sheer mass of his vehicle & the noises generated by the trailer in general. Give 'em plenty of space & everyone stays safe, and fresh "downstairs" :D
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Your insurance will almost certainly write the car off (it is completely wrong a company with an interest in the outcome should have this authority - but that's another issue) BUT the other driver's company can't, because they are obliged to restore the staus quo. If have to inform your company, you don't have to claim from them. Claim from the truck's owners, it's for them to deal with their insurance, if they wish. Get some quotes, claim the amount of the one you like, + loss of use, inconvenience, distress & anything else that reasonably arises from the accident & give them 21 days to come up with the money, making it clear you'll sue if they don't. Then, if needs be, without further ado start proceedings in the County Court, which, it seems, you can do on-line now. There is a fee - but you can add that to the claim. Remember, we have to have insurance by law BUT, it serves no useful purpose becuse the like all financial institutions, insurance companies will always put their own interests before their customers'.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o