Xantia Magic Carpet Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

guzzidom

Post by guzzidom »

Ok a little exaggeration maybe, but it is definitely a less refined ride than the '92 Peugeot 405 GLD it replaced this weekend which I find surprising, the whole car feels firmly sprung, though the damping seems ok, it rumbles and jolts on rough roads and I'm aware of my wifes legs jerking about out of the corner of my eye whilst I'm driving, but then she does that sometimes anyway, maybe the relay that sets it to "sports" mode via the little button has jammed on, though pressing it does make it slightly worse.
Dom
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philhoward</i>

I've also been told that all Citroens are very picky about their tyres (preferably Michelins)- whether or not this is true, I don't know.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had Continental ContiEcoContact tyres on the front of my Xantia and Michelins on the rear, I swapped them over and now the front of the car seems more comfortable (with the correct tyre pressures). When I got my current Xantia I didn't think that the ride was good, so I replaced the front spheres which improved things but still the ride wasn't as good as my old Xantia, I'm blaming the tyres for that one...
shugster
My Cars:

Post by shugster »

Guys, can I just say how truly impressed I am at the time being taken to share info and help on this forum. Big thank you to all! It is my intention in the next couple of weeks to replace my 2 centre spheres, hopefully I can give some positive feedback on the results.
I also intend to carry out a replacement of the LHM fluid as per this article http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27, fantastic article incidentally, big thanks for that! I carried out the Citaerobics ( excellent technical term [:D]), however I did notice that the rear of the car almost 'sticks' on the way up from the lowermost to the highest position, and then all of a sudden, almost 'twangs' up, feels as though it has got stuck, and is then freed. The rear of my car is generally 'slow' at rising on a cold start. Did I mention it has done 74K? therfor is overdue. There has been lots of food for thought, for which I am eternally grateful, I will feedback the outcome in a few weeks time. Oh, how easy is it do do the timing belt, or should I leave that to a garage?
guzzidom

Post by guzzidom »

Timing belt as on a lot of french fwd cars is a complete knuckle skinning bugger, as an aside the water pump almost always need changing at the same time, but are only £25 quid or so, expect 2.2 hrs labour to do the belt (Autodata Service Time Guide, as used by most garages) you, if anything like me would still be doing it after 5 hrs, probably sobbing uncontrollably.