Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 01:47 Whoever spots the first driverless car wins the internet.

It'll be me. When one runs me down on my bike because it could not cope with a cyclist - as most cars can't anyway :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 05:34
MikeT wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 01:47 Whoever spots the first driverless car wins the internet.

It'll be me. When one runs me down on my bike because it could not cope with a cyclist - as most cars can't anyway :twisted: :lol:

The odds are in your favour, though hopefully not as you envisage, Jim. The hub's in Coventry and MK is a popular proving ground.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 05:58MK is a popular proving ground.

Yes, allegedly some have already been spotted moving around MK...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Apparently they're restricted to 40mph currently and will apply the brakes at the slightest provocation as a default safety protocol.
I may have even overtaken one recently as it applied the brakes (unnecessarily imo) as I passed. It was a welcome surprise as it indicated to me the controller (human or othewise) was not only aware but ensured I could pull back into the lane sooner as it was a fast road.
Perhaps, as AV's are still in the test phase they should be required to display L plates or some form of obvious identifying mark?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 08:42 Perhaps, as AV's are still in the test phase they should be required to display L plates or some form of obvious identifying mark?

A skull and cross-bones would be more appropriate ;)
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I saw about four hundred of them in the car park I was trying to find a space in yesterday. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 10:07

I saw about four hundred of them in the car park I was trying to find a space in yesterday. :-D

=D>

Challenge amended to include the requirement they must be moving under their own power and on an open public road.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted this little thing roaming around Central Milton Keynes today...
Own Work
Own Work
Sian tells me it's an autonomous delivery root :)

It was intriguing to watch it negotiate the road crossing it was about to take when I photographed it... It waited until the road was clear, crossed and then turned right on the other side and continued along the pavement...

It did have a human 'minder' close but he was there only to monitor it and no drive it as they are still in development...

Clever stuff... The future is happening right here in Milton Keynes :D
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 15:30 Spotted this little thing roaming around Central Milton Keynes today...

Sian tells me it's an autonomous delivery root :)

Clever stuff... The future is happening right here in Milton Keynes :D

I've got an idea....... Do you think it could take the weight of a 6 foot tall fat bloke sitting on it ? :rofl2: :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 16:51 I've got an idea....... Do you think it could take the weight of a 6 foot tall fat bloke sitting on it ? :rofl2: :lol:

It's got six wheels so I see no reason why not... use it as a autonomous mobility scooter to safely bring you home from the pub after a night on the sauce ;)

I guess it's traction mechanism is largely based on a mobility scooter or electric wheelchair...
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Yet another Tesla S - a red one - in Sayalonga this morning, heading from Competa down to the coast.
That two in less than a month!
The red one should arrive in a decent state of charge: a drop of 600m in 20km!
I regularly see a MiEV doing that same round trip, from coast to 600m up and back. They're no sluggards.
Chris
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Does having an Ebike in for a service count??
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 17:14 Does having an Ebike in for a service count??

Have you got an E-Bike then Tim?

If you have I'd be interested to know which and what you think of them...

I quite like the look of the Giant Road-E+ but the price is a bit daunting... Not much less than I paid for my top-spec sportive machine...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes ... s-pro-2018
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I don't personally Jim is one of my customers bikes (i run a small repairs, maintenance and builds bike business from my shed), is a haibike full7 rc xduro, owners wife said 'as he rode out of the yard the wheel kind a folded, i suggested that he may need to loose a little weight...'
He's done some miles on it mind, have tp say, he'd probably find it a lot easier to ride an equivalent non electric bike as it would be half the weight! :-O
Gent out on the trails on sunday rode past us as we were chatting, he was on an emtb, must have been mid 70's, full credit to him, he wasnt hanging around!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 18:04owners wife said 'as he rode out of the yard the wheel kind a folded, i suggested that he may need to loose a little weight...'

:rofl2: That did make me giggle... Sounds like a wheel build with some rather heftier double-butted spokes was called for ;)

They do say the best place to loose weight on a bike is on the rider and not the bike...

I've had a few e-bikes come flying past me during some local sportives I've done... They do go well...

I too have been seen off by riders considerably older than me during sportives but also I've seen off a good few youngsters; I'm no youngster and I'm convinced we cyclists improve with age - I know our outright endurance and hill-climbing ability does even if we concede a little speed to the youngsters...

Your business sounds idyllic... Wish i was nearer to you...
Jim