Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 17:42 Followed a big black Tesla through a small village with narrow streets today... Gosh, aren't they big and wide :shock:

So wide in fact the driver had difficulty in getting through the village... I'm seen smaller lorries.
That will be one of these than Jim, one advantage though no exhaust fumes to breathe in when you are following one on your bike.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

What happens when a dozen of those park next to each other in one of our older multi-storey car parks? :shock: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Even the Ford Mondeo is too big for a standard parking space as reported here in the Parking Tales and Hassles thread

viewtopic.php?p=657421&hilit=mondeo#p657421.

Don't be worried about the gull wing doors hitting the roof in a multi-storey.. there's more software and sensors in the car than a jumbo jet, and any door dinging from adjacent cars will all be captured as Steve noticed with 'Sentry Activated' .

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 27 Feb 2021, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

i was more concerned about not being able to open the doors when you get back with your shopping, assuming of course that you weren't daft enough to park where you couldn't get out of the car in the first place!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 20:37 i was more concerned about not being able to open the doors when you get back with your shopping, assuming of course that you weren't daft enough to park where you couldn't get out of the car in the first place!! :-D
Just put up a video Mick as you posted, edited into my previous post :-D The doors detect objects and open differently to avoid hitting them. Looks like if there were a car parked right next to it the right hand wing would clatter it. But the door would open differently to avoid it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Watched that video but he wimped out of the test I'd like to see. You park it, go shopping and come back to find two similar cars either side in the narrow spaces we have in older car parks. Then what happens? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 20:48 Watched that video but he wimped out of the test I'd like to see. You park it, go shopping and come back to find two similar cars either side in the narrow spaces we have in older car parks. Then what happens? :-D
I am disappointed to say Mick, that there may well be a technological solution.
Spoiler: show
You simply "smart summon" your vehicle and hoy the shopping in the trunk when it comes to you
Probably should have vetted that.....not a totally successful demo but you get the idea :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

:rofl2: :rofl2: Well I can't deny that it would be able to back out to clear the doors but using that target thing would be ludicrous if everybody were trying to do it at the same time, plus of course by the time the car got to me my fish and chips would be stone cold!!! :-D
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I'm not sure that unoccupied autonomous vehicles are allowed loose out in the wild in the UK yet ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yes, it would pose all sorts of insurance issues and possibly promote a new game for the local boy racers, how many of them can you hit in one lap of the car park? :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They recognise when there is limited space to operate and do a trial and error approach to opening until they get it right, then remember the steps, also they remember the precise location so if you park there again, they already know what to do.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

myglaren wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 21:30 ................, also they remember the precise location so if you park there again, they already know what to do.
The trouble with that is the location may be different next time you park there, maybe a new false ceiling installed or obviously different vehicles parked around you. :-D

[Sorry but I still don't see the point in spending all the research and investment funds to enable something which we can solve using a human brain at the time. As ever its fixing issues that don't exist and doing apparently clever stuff because they can. Meanwhile people are suffering throughout the world. Senseless!! :shock: ]
NewcastleFalcon

Yes I've watched a few smart summon videos. Not many totally up to date, but at the time some of them were done the full capability wasn't possible in the UK/EU and probably still isn't. I have seen remote control toy electric cars which are much more summonable, and you have a little steering wheel or a joystick on your controller to steer it and control the speed....simple. Not a great deal of expensive software or sensors or a phone app to make it work! :-D

Regards Neil
Bit more on Summon
Spoiler: show
Tesla’s ‘Summon’ feature not as described In the Model 3 configuration tool, which allows you to configure and buy your new Model 3, the Summon feature is described as ‘your parked car will come find you anywhere in a car park. Really.’ Except not really. It’s only intended for use on private property, operating up to a maximum distance of 12 metres. It also can’t see narrow objects like bicycles. When we approached Tesla for comment, we were referred to the manual for the Model S, which also has the Summon feature. This is what the manual states: Summon is a BETA feature. Summon is designed and intended for use only on private property When using Summon, you must continually monitor the vehicle. Summon has a maximum distance of 12 meters Model S cannot detect obstacles that are located lower than the bumper, are very narrow (i.e. bicycles)

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/05/te ... ng-claims/ - Which?
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 27 Feb 2021, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 21:03 I'm not sure that unoccupied autonomous vehicles are allowed loose out in the wild in the UK yet ?
Key point is autonomous vehicles have to be on an approved list under the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018, none currently have been approved, so effectively no unoccupied autonomous vehicles are allowed loose out in the wild in the UK yet.

Had a bit of an airing on the Self-driving cars thread
viewtopic.php?p=674451#p674451

The first thing on the way will be Automated Lane Keeping System (ALKS) possibly this year, with appropriate amendments to the Act or approving specific vehicles for specific levels of automation under existing provisions.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another, or perhaps the same, white Model 3.
Probably passed many others but wasn't paying attention.