Room 101 open for deposits.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Chambre cent-un open for deposits.....

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:.apart from those little black things in the summer that drive you to distraction and overwhelming violence as they merrily eat your face away.
I believe those are what's known as 'Cleggies' by our Jockinese friends north of the border...

Definitely candidates for Chambre cent-un as all the reports I've read of them attacking visitors to Alba make me rather reluctant to want to go there... Mozzies (another candidate :twisted:) just bloody adore me so I'm sure Cleggies would lust after me with great delight...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

...another deposit from me which can be summarised in the following phrase
Being in a hurry to get anywhere
I am putting that in in preference to
Stupid pheasants which walk across 90% of the road in front of you in one direction then inexplicably turn and go back the other way when you are right up to them
I allocate the blame 100% to me. I am fully aware of this behaviour of pheasants, and I was going too fast in a hurry to get somewhere. My fault entirely.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, it's not your fault... In the bird world the pheasant is the least intellectual and stupid of all birds.. Truly 'the lights are on but nobody’s home...' The compete definition of birdbrain' :lol:

In complete contrast to the corvids who are the most intelligent and able - they perform differential calculus whilst dealing with roadkill to calculate just when they should take off to avoid being hit... Have you ever seen a corvid killed by a vehicle?

I love all corvids and have immense respect for them.

Birds generally are pretty smart, even pigeons. Speaking of which, pigeons are an excellent candidate too... Not my favourite at all and an urban pest on a par with rats... In fact their pejorative name of 'flying rat' is apt...

let's chuck rats in there with them too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Rats were always going to make an appearance....as they did for Winston Smith in the original 101 from George Orwell's 1984.
from wiki
This is manifested in Room 101 by confronting Smith with a wire cage that contains two large rats. The front of the cage is shaped so that it can fit over a person's face. A trap-door is then opened, allowing the rats to devour the victim's face. This cage is fitted over Smith's face, but he saves himself by begging the authorities to let his lover, Julia, suffer this torture instead of him. The threatened torture, and what Winston does to escape it, breaks his last promise to himself and to Julia: never to betray her.
George Orwell himself was inspired to use 101 as this was a room in Broadcasting House where he had to sit through tedious meetings.

So whats worse tedious meetings or having your face eaten away by rats :?: :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: So whats worse tedious meetings or having your face eaten away by rats :?: :!:
That's easy - tedious meetings every time ;)

Something else for 101.. Guns. All of them and every one of them...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote: I believe those are what's known as 'Cleggies' by our Jockinese friends north of the border...

Definitely candidates for Chambre cent-un as all the reports I've read of them attacking visitors to Alba make me rather reluctant to want to go there... Mozzies (another candidate :twisted:) just bloody adore me so I'm sure Cleggies would lust after me with great delight...
Nah, the small ones are midges. They are a complete pain, reputed to cost the Scottish economy something like half a billion pounds a year in lost tourism. Clegs are something else entirely - they're more like horse flies; and damned vicious! I react quite badly to midges - but got bitten by a cleg on my wrist a couple of years ago. Hurt like hell, and within a couple of minutes had a swelling about 2" across and 1/2" high.
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:Moths are just bloody annoying...
As are starlings when they fall down the chimney and end up behind a fixed gas fire............. guess what my first task was yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, first remove the gas fire then wait for the damn thing to emerge from hiding, open all the windows and wait for the silly sod to try to batter his way out through the ones that don't open before finally zipping off into the distance
:(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, thanks for the clarification over midges and cleggies :) Both are as bad in my book :evil:

Gibbo... Been there with starlings in the chimney...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Tarmac coloured cars, including mine :-D Apparently invisible to emerging Taxi Drivers, thankfully just a near miss.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Moths are just bloody annoying...
As are starlings when they fall down the chimney and end up behind a fixed gas fire............. guess what my first task was yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, first remove the gas fire then wait for the damn thing to emerge from hiding, open all the windows and wait for the silly sod to try to batter his way out through the ones that don't open before finally zipping off into the distance
:(

It's not just us then haha, they nest under the eaves in our house and manage to find their way into the cavity wall and then somehow get trapped behind the fitted wardrobe, which then either means ripping the carpet up to remove the "kick plate" (for want of a better description) at the bottom of said wardrobe, then the wait/open window/clean bird prints off fixed windows afterwards routine you describe.

Or the other option, where we don't hear the poor thing but smell it weeks later :)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
NewcastleFalcon

Anyone had a bird fly in through open window when driving? Bit distracting but not as bad as being stung in the crotch by a wasp :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've had one try to smash it's way through the windscreen but never actually make it in. I had a wasp come for a ride in the Scenic and get all aggressive once. I opened the window and it got sucked out, bet I can't repeat that ever again.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Headbutted a Pheasant when on a motorbike, luck that he hit the top of my lid rather than my face.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Had a few incidents with big bumble bees whilst cycling!
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My son swallowed a bluebottle whilst riding his bike, it must have been a dirty beast, he was violently sick for days.

My encounter with a bird was different, I was driving along one of the local narrow lanes with high hedgerows when in front of me a very large bird of prey made a very long slow take off, when he spread his wings they were about four feet wide and hanging from his talons was a fully grown rabbit.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.