Room 101 open for deposits.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Room 101 open for deposits.....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Websites that annoy and irritate.

..and today's choice is the KIA website. I saw a KIA Niro which was in front of me on my bike when approaching a junction. Quiet and electric-like and an eco-hybrid badge. So I wanted to examine the credentials of the eco-hybrid on the KIA website.

Couldn't even find a decent image of one, and throughout the bumpf they seemed to have taken on board the phrase "self-charging hybrid" as a Toyota-like mantra. Indeed I suspect Toyota have won and the complete BS phrase "self-charging hybrid" has now adopted a life of its own ready to con the buying public.

...So half way round the 360 degree view to see if I could make out the badge to see if indeed the "eco Hybrid" I had spotted was the same beast, up pops a register your interest prompt.....no I dont want to register my interest thank you. Abandoned the 360 degree view because it was so small and the image looked like a computer generated car rather than a real car.

So how about a brochure...that should have some decent pics in it. What has happened? You can maybe accept the cost cutting of not printing out a huge stock of glossy brocuhures these days but how precious are they about their on line brochures. Yes you have to fill in a form and then and only then will they allow you access to 3 brochures.

The well-crafted website is a thing of the past if it ever existed, not very impressive KIA but you are not alone.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Websites which don't have a 'Reject all' option on the cookie control. I have just spent 12 minutes scrolling down the list of ad cookies on the website from Simon's link to the Hydrogen Fuel Station explosion turning off each one individually. What a pain!! Had I not been sufficiently interested in the topic I would have just given up and left the site!! I am sure that every company on the planet had a cookie link on that site, :^o Well stuff them, that's what I say!! :shock:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I accept cookies as they are all cleared when the page and/or browser is closed. You could also use the private browsing mode that accepts no cookies in the first place.
Firefox - CTRL+Shift+P
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I accept that Steve, but getting rid of them after they've already passed on info about your activity is pointless. I am happy to allow some sites to do that but not all as I reserve the right to maintain control over who I help and who I don't!! Its just the fact that some sites don't offer the option to reject all which effectively forces you to accept them or while away valuable time rejecting them one at a time or give up on the site. However I feel much better having consigned them to Room 101! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 09:49 Websites which don't have a 'Reject all' option on the cookie control. I have just spent 12 minutes scrolling down the list of ad cookies on the website from Simon's link to the Hydrogen Fuel Station explosion turning off each one individually. What a pain!! Had I not been sufficiently interested in the topic I would have just given up and left the site!! I am sure that every company on the planet had a cookie link on that site, :^o Well stuff them, that's what I say!! :shock:
Have to agreed Mick. I thought I had put the same thing into my personal 101 too, but my rant about it was on "Big Brother is Watching You-your evidence please" here viewtopic.php?p=606007#p606007

There are very few sites indeed which allow you simply to reject all cookies, and increasingly sites go a bit further and require signing in to to view content....bit like KIA you cant see one of our precious brochures unless you give us your e-mail address and a few other personal details.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My 101 is for people who can't have a conversation without waving their arms about.

If I was interviewing a politician or celebrity (cough) I'd insist they sit on their hands. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 12:32 My 101 is for people who can't have a conversation without waving their arms about.

If I was interviewing a politician or celebrity (cough) I'd insist they sit on their hands. :-D
Magnus Pyke?

Firefox and presumably other browsers will reject all cookies, or accept from designated sources.
As said, I accept then bin them and have yet to have a problem.
Probably the places I visit are too boring for anyone to notice.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Adverts that simply refuse to acknowledge when they are not wanted. eg, "Yes sir I understand that you don't want cheap petrol because you have an electric car. Can I interest you in cheap diesel fuel then sir?" or having killed the ads in my email to give me more space on the screen I get this:
Screenshot
Screenshot
grrrrrrrrr!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If I get an anti-ad blocker message, the site goes in my personal room 101.

Metro is the most recent one. It is a bit DM but less focussed on celebs and fashion. The multiple entries there are also an irritant that I have lived with until a couple of days ago.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Good plan Steve but mine wasn't from a site. I have installed MS Office on my new laptop and it is a screenshot of my outlook inbox page! :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Strange. I'll have to log in to my hotmail/outlook/whatever inbox and see if it is the same. Only log in about every six weeks to keep it alive.

ED: Nope, nothing like that at all.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll get this with the Web version of Outlook with an Ad Blocker, but if you set up your Hotmail / Outlook email account in a desktop mail client you won't have that issue as you are not using the web, so there are no ads to block.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I do use the web version and have for years.
I have just this week installed Thunderbird to harvest one of my Gmail accounts. I prefer the web interface but the account is full and I need to download a huge amount of stuff. I have been using some of my other accounts to reduce traffic there.
The plan is to buy a caddy for the 2Tb drive from my recently deceased desktop, download everything from the two laptops and everything from the Gmail account then install the upcoming upgrade of Mint to each one. I should sort all the crap out as it has been saved dozens of times so there is much redundancy there.
Also need to upgrade the memory in this laptop, it bogs down a lot, especially if I have both Firefox and Chromium running.
The irony is that I have tons of RAM cads here, all the wrong sort.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Tea towels that don't absorb water!!

There is a story here: SWMBO decided that our tea towels were looking tired (they'd been used at least twice!) so she went to buy some new ones which matched the saucepans (which are kept in a closed drawer below the hob :?: #-o ). Having her basic instinct for a bargain she bought 6 nice pretty saucepan matching ones from Matalan. She returned home, washed the new ones, Covid precautions, and then proudly hung the first on our tea towel hook and cast the originals into the household cupboard as general "cloths". I washed up the breakfast things this morning and discovered that I might as well have tried drying up with a polythene bag!! The new ones have now been put in the household cupboard and the originals restored to active duty. War has been declared in the kitchen so I thought by placing them in here I'd have a small victory. I will simply leave her to do the drying up until common sense prevails!! :-D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Speaking from the 'Domestic God' perspective and having the same issues - I found the culprit to be fabric conditioner. As in, don't use it on towels or cloths.

Linen cloths seem to be better - certainly for glasses, which we always used in the Wine bar many moons ago.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc