Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Post by myglaren »

I should qualify that.

They were all great kids and there were very few problems with them and all minor problems, nothing of any note.

elma

Post by elma »

As for the Cats.......

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

elma wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 20:10
As for the Cats.......

I can really do without cats and dogs. Five kids and seven grand kids are quite sufficient.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 08:04
Siamese cats by any chance James?

They can be trained to a degree in my experience...

Moggy cats are just contrary little buggers and that's one reason I don't have any time for them :twisted:

Well, Mum did breed Siamese (she was the first breeder in Europe to breed TWO European Grand Champion Internationals), and Waah-Li, being an Oriental Black, did have Siamese in her ancestry.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 21 Jun 2017, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

elma

Post by elma »

Theres only one Cat for me, a Dart 16 X.
They do exactly as they are told and are really good fun.

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

elma wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 00:04
Theres only one Cat for me, a Dart 16 X.
They do exactly as they are told and are really good fun.

Yes, you are a lucky lot living where you do. I recall (when I attended a school down near Lymington in the early '90s) we went windsurfing somewhere, the water was really shallow (easily under 4') for what seemed like miles & had great fun.

Had my first real taste of messing with French cars while there, in the shape of a couple of CX's, big Renaults, Cit. Visa (with econoscope) and the very common at the time R4s.

Being a Citroen enthusiast in the vicinity, you haven't come across someone by the name of Guy Ashton per chance? The very person who introduced me to these cars & sparked my enthusiasm for the things :)

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

1st it was Gay Bikers on Acid, then Lesbian Dopeheads on Mopeds - now Goats on Speed! Oh, it's NOT a band, damn well ought to be, with a name like that!

Now I'll try & work my way back to the original subject matter, which can sometimes be tricky on this forum, especially when playing catch-up.

My mother told of a cat they had when she was a girl (in a hamlet in N. Devon) that earned its keep by bringing a rabbit home every week & depositing it in the kitchen.

My introduction to ARB's was as a 17 year old who knew no fear (or anything about the 100E Ford he was trying to run on pocket money, really) trying to deform it enough to align it with the mountings to bolt it back on: I seem to recall laying on my back on front of the car, with my feet on the bar trying to lean forward to reach the mountings, while maintaining pressure on the bar. It comes back to me whenever I replace bushes because, although the first time filled me with dread, it's not been a problem [although the caddy was "fun" because they'd changed the design, so you had replace the saddles (was I glad I'd not bought the bushes on-line), the ARB is behind the "axle" & access is, shall we say, a challenge] - then again I've never actually removed/replaced on again.

Thanks for confirming my own thoughts about damage, it's just that as it's only a matter of time before it needs re-bushing AND it is so visible that replacing it with a shiny black (or maybe red) one that was known to be OK, seemed a smart move. Now I don't think the spare one is so rusty as to be be weakened, it's just typical of any steering/suspension component under a vehicle that's been standing for several years. However cleaning it up to paint, short of blasting/soda dipping, would be a major task - & one that doesn't greatly appeal.

Right having got to this point, I can launch into updates & developments:-

Thursday evening, C15 had its weekly constitutional to Lidl's. Nothing remarkable about that or to report but it does remind me of something I forgot the week before - & now I'm going to go off at a tangent. When I came out of the shop that time I noticed I'd contrived to leave it with the headlights on. No problem, in the event, but then the battery has never been a cause of concern; now I know that's tempting fate but it's got to the stage where I couldn't complain, after all, I've had it over 2 years now & I doubt that even the Varta battery fitted (one of the paradoxes of this tatty, somewhat neglected van) is expected to last more than 3. Now a bit of history (I know I did mention I might do a retrospective/prequel to this blog - at least so far as the C15's concerned - but that'll have to wait for another time) When I went to look at this poor specimen, they had to use a starter pack - although all the signs were, it's not been there more than a month - so a new battery was quite high on my mental list of things to be done/needed. However since then, it has, a couple of times not been used for 3 weeks & started without hesitation BUT, once again, I must be living on borrowed time. Soooooh, does anyone know how to date (NO! not in the American sense) a battery?

Friday evening threw caution to the wind - & (I think) the last 5 litres of sunflower oil in 1/2 full tank (random thought: could that be why I've been lucky, not using extract of turnip - or whatever's in surplus at the time?), mile down the road & topped up with diesel, drove down to Devon, in a little more than average time - thanks to road works (of which more anon). What idiot decided that the M25/M3 junction would have to remain closed well into the holiday season? Oh if only these people were required to live with the consequences of their decisions! Only 2 things of note, on the A3 (the signposted diversion around the closed section of the M3) passed a sign announcing the road would be closed at some point, disbelief prevented me noting the relevent time(s)/date(s) - they're going to close the diversion for the closed M3?!!! Seems the lunatics have abandoned the asylum - & taken over the Highway Agency. On a lighter note, 2nd thing was I passed a Romahome at some point on the 303: flicked on hazards as I drew ahead - no response! Not surprised, sadly Romahomas seem to be a breed apart & probably wouldn't recognise a C15 as the basis of their pride & joy; sad, 'cos Visa/C15 folk accept them as one of the family.

Saturday morning dawned - but missed it due to technical hitch but up just about early enough to refit oilpan to trans on green Cherokee before my new found friend arrived. I swallowed semi-professional pride & used some gloop to stick gasket to flange (I could justify that because I was re-using the gasket) which meant (a) gasket didn't demonstrate a life of its own as you tried to offer up the pan & insert the bolts (b) you could insert the corner bolts through the flange where thery'd be retained by the gasket; that AND having managed to separate the dipstick tube made the whole job at least 2 or 3 times easier. Pour in the 3 litres of ATF I'd drained out, but it holds 4 quarts AND I don't have any more of the right fluid; for the moment have to pin hopes on torque converter holdin a litre/quart. While I'm refilling the PAS reservoir (remenber last week's plumbing job?) I'm thinking, to check the fluid level never mind the tests we're supposed to be doing, it's got to be running - & it's been sat outside since November, October possibly. However I needn't have given it a thought, having taken the precaution of charging the battery last weekend, got in turned the on the ignition, waited for the "Detroit cockpit
drill" to finish, turned the key - & it started, just like that. In that moment, it suddenly re-endeared itself to me. Check fluid level several times as advised (because of false readings from drag on the tube) & it's at Max. Not so lucky with diagnostics though, can't get the scanner to recognise the vehicle - AND it's a Jeep scanner! Then we go old school & both learn something (which is obvious when you think of it) If you've got a trans cooler & the pump is suspect, loosen a union & if nothing escapes - the pump's failed. Quick discussion re alternatives & decision is fairly quickly reached that, subject to confirmation it IS the same trans. the most cost effective remedy is to fit the trans out of the parts car. Torquay Transmissions quoted me £800 for that optiion, same as repairing the old one: hence the red one! But the 2 of us know the green one's not worth that much - & he's already talking in sentimetal terms about it. For me there's a big plus in getting involved in a job I wouldn't have dared embark on on my own, although time & space are going to be a problem. Friday week, we're going to manhandle the green one onto the drive alongside the spares car, it'll be tight but not much choice really.

& so, clear up, clean up, clear off, in the C15, up to Shepton Mallet. Would've been really nice if only I could open the driver's window: any offers of a regulator or, ideally, a 1/2-decent door gratefully received). Didn't run out of fuel at 1/4-full for the first time since that problem originally occurred, but relieved that at that very moment the Shell sign (on the only reasonably priced forecourt on the 303) appeared.
I've reported on the "Bristol" elsewhere but wasn't successful with my shopping, either the tools to facilitate removing the track bar, ATF for the Cherokees or diesel treatment (best offer was 2nd litre of RedX 1/2-price). Did get some superior working gloves, some very nice torx drive, flange head S/S set screws AND a pair of wiper blades for nothing though (they were only £1 anyway but trader couldn't be bothered with change when he was closing his stall).

Last evening, I finally managed to undo the nut on the balljoint holding the track bar to the bracket & tonight I might return to trying to break the taper. If I'd been a day ahead with this job, I would've got a pickle-fork at "Bristol" - 'cos much as I dislike them (which is why I don't have one) I think, maybe, this is the one job for which they are the right tool.
Last edited by van ordinaire on 23 Jun 2017, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Post by van ordinaire »

Just a quick update: once the heat was out of the day, crawled under the front of the parts car & played my trusty chef's blowlamp on the stud of the balljoint at the end of the track bar. When I got tired/bored I left that & rolled under it amidships to try & identify the trans but, so far all I've established is the manufacturer's plate is a different colour. Just hoping that's not significant, but will have another look when ei ther the light's better - or it's darker, so my work lamp is more effective; oh, & a bit of height would help as the limited line of sight means trying to read the plate upsidedown.

So back to the track bar, removing the o/s f wheel provided better access to swing a hammer AND I found a more positive location for the tyre lever I was using to apply downward force on the bar. This is where a 2nd pair of hands would've helped but needs must, so got into a rhythm swinging the hammer. Took a break, & felt found the top of the boot to confirm that there had been some movement - & it just came away in my hand! So, still 100% success rate splitting tapers with a hammer!

Flushed with success (pride?) I made a start on the bolts that hold the bracket on, they're not 15 or 16 mm (as I originally suggested) but 19mm - just as well in the event, but I'll save that for another day, when, hopefully, I'll have all 4 undone & the bracket off.

elma

Post by elma »

ekjdm14 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 12:43

Being a Citroen enthusiast in the vicinity, you haven't come across someone by the name of Guy Ashton per chance? The very person who introduced me to these cars & sparked my enthusiasm for the things :)

No I haven't met him, or anyone else yet to be honest. There's some nice Citroens round here though so I my well do in the future.
Lymington seems nice, it's about 30 mins away and I went for a meal there with friends the day I was reunited with my V6.
I haven't done any sailing for quite some time but I intend to get back into it. In fact I better do it soon while the weather's good or I'll never get round to it.

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Not long back from an enjoyable evening ar a live music venue in Paignton - as the result of a chance encounter at "Bristol" :)

Before I went, I managed to get the trackbar "frame bracket" off the parts car & give it a cursory wire brushing. For something that looks like it shares a design phylosophy with Victorian bridge building I'm amazed that the other 2 have significant rust damage. :o :shock:

It did occur to me early on that a rattle gun would really come into its own for this job - & if I've got do go through all this again - twice, I think I might well look more seriously at what comes up on eBay. Did think about leaving it 'til my next American road trip & poppong into Harbour Freight (bit like a budget Macihne Mart) - but then I'd have to cope with a 110v charger! #-o

Driving back this evening, it seemed my fiddling with the o/s headlight adjustment on th C15 has paid dividends, as I'd noticed on Friday night that, on dip, it did little more than produce a very bright, clearly defined, rectangle of light on the road, not far in front of the bumper. :roll:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattle guns are good Van, I can well recommend one for tedious, repetitive jobs :)

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Bit like electric screwdrivers for grown-ups then!?

Acually, I had in mind high torque applications, where access is poor.

Anyway, under the parts car again this evening, with it rather further off the ground than before, & with the aid of 2 pairs of glasses & a strategically positioned LED worklight managed to read the model number on the trans. ID plate - &, yes, it is the same :P
As for starting on some preliminary work in preparation for dropping the trans, I've no idea how/where to start

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've never got on with electric screwdrivers... I have had about as much success with those as I have with MIG welders...

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Know what you mean, they only really come into their own on repetitive assembly jobs - fitting the back panels on washing machines springs to mind, although they can be useful assembling kitchen cabinets, assembling stell racking, that sort of thing. Although there must be a whole generation of buiders who've never used anything else.
However, of limited use on or around a car. (removing/replacing a Cherokee grille, &, possibly, headlight bezels, might be an exception).
All that said, I've just (i.e. earlier this, i.e. Friday, evening) bought one: went to Lidl's & saw the latest version of the one I used to have, which I found useful from time-to-time, but haven't been able to find more recently. I thought for £15 I would be saved the frustration of not having one the next time I think it would come in handy AND, should the original ever turn up, well I can have one at each end, as it were.

Don't know about welders, it's a bit of a black art to me (bit like plastering - in a way). I did buy one once, that were in Lidl's too, for the money I couldn't resist it, even bought a pack of rods, I've never even opened the box! Too conscious of the fact that the time I'd spend playing could always be much better spent - until, of course, the time comes when being able to use it would've been invaluable.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Van, you're right about welding being a black art!!! Unpack yours and have a play - being mindful of the dangers of arc-eye; I was only speaking about that to my optician when I went for an eye test in the week...

The subject came up whilst we were poring over pictures of my retinas looking for any problems...

With your Lidl welder, don't expect to weld thin stuff - start with heavy stuff first...