Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Re: Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Unread post by van ordinaire »

It's nice when, just once in awhile, things work out BUT, must confess, I was too relieved to stop & be thankful - which is probably why it all went wrong today :(

Dive under the oldest Cherokee (now relegated to donor status) to investigate removing the handbrake & straight away see a problem: I can't see it, well not in any detail. I'd quite forgotten that with standard height Cherokees, while you can lie under them, you can't raise your head much & not a lot of daylight penetrates the gloom. Jack it up, so o/s f. wheel's about 1' in the air - & all the other wheels are still on the ground (no wonder they're so good off-road!) 7 back under with a light & what I hope is the right spanner, 'cos this is definitely a job for a ratchetting ring - & my largest is 13mm. Yes, it's the right size, but there's no way I'm going to wind an all but seized adjuster nut along 2" of rusty (once I'd brushed the mud off, to reveal the thread!), in a the confined space above the prop. when the adjuster itself is not solidly mounted but at the end of a thin rod. :idea: the rear brakes were donated to the green one Christmas before last, so should be able to unhook the rear cables from the adjuster, then the whole thing can be withdrawn up through the hole in the tunnel. Back inside (the Jeep, not indoors!) find that contrary to what I thought yesterday, while you can see one of the mounting bolts, & onewhere the other one is - under the carpet! without removing the console you can't get to them! Anyway you CAN get the console out without removing the T-handle, it helps if you're not to fussed about the shutter the selector lever moves through - AND it would be so much easier if it wasn't stuck in "P"!
Anyway, console's out of the way, trunking for rear heater outlets likewise, handbrake's out. Triumphantly borne into shed, place in vice, adjuster nut unwound & the bridge that the rear cables connect to is removed. Clean up the rust, ready for some gel prior to painting & decide to look in the red one, for which it's destined, to see how much of the lever is actually visible, only to find - it's completey different! :shock:
Roll under it (with a 2" lift & o/s tyres no need for a jack here) just to confirm how different & apart from much improved access, as what was up in the tunnel above the prop. is now just inboard of the o/s sill, I fear it'll be a far worse job - &, if the trans in the green one doesn't respond to the tender administrations of my new found friend in the trade, it will become the "parts car" so I'll have to do it twice :cry:
It's at times like this that doing something trivial often helps - & I'd noticed the centre armrest/cubbybox lid was a little loose; hardly surprising, one of the hinge screws was working its way out. That's when I realised that, with these later consoles, you can remove the cubbybox itself - which should give direct access to the handbrake beneath, through the hole, i.e. no need to wrestle with the console :-D - & so it does, but you can't even see the mounting bolts - because the rear heater trunking's in the way!!! :x

Here endeth the lesson - happy Bank Holiday :)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Zelandeth
Donor 2024

Unread post by Zelandeth »

Definitely information I'm filing away for future use when I have one of these things to argue with...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Funny enough I did think of that, because if the green one's trans is beyond salvation, then it'll replace the the '96 as a parts car which, had you got one by then, for the cost of some diesel & a day's trailer hire could keep you on the (or, indeed, off) road for a long time to come.

Actually that trick with the console is a good one & completely contrary to all received wisdom - I'm just hoping that it can be applied to the later one.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Your tales of the Chrokee are really enjoyed Van :) My feelings always when reading your adventures is just how closely related they are to 90s Citroens!!! Especially XMs :twisted:

You need an XM to enjoy you know ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Hmmmmmm! (more later - & with only a passing reference to Cherokees - because a proper response requires as careful consideration as purchasing an XM!!!)

I did return to this topic but, suddenly, the last 2/3 of the text disappeared & I really can't face the prospect of starting again.

Maybe when I've had some sleep, I'll feel differently - then again, maybe I really can't be bothered.
Last edited by van ordinaire on 30 May 2017, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

No, an XM purchase has to made on impulse and blind... It's the only way ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Unread post by elma »

:-D Jims buying an Xm this afternoon then. Make it a V6 Jim :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

elma wrote::-D Jims buying an Xm this afternoon then. Make it a V6 Jim :-D

Many a stranger thing has happened ;)

I'm off out on my bike shortly... maybe I'll see one...

But then, I've already had two V6 XMs so I suppose a third would be in order...
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how one ends up with a rotten, tatty low spec S2 estate with a 2.0i & automatic box ;)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

All right, let's have another go. I think the problem last night was a combination of the lateness of the hour & the sensitivity of the touchpad on my laptop, but I'm playing safe & drafting this as a “rich text document” (whatever happened to “Word”?) which I can copy (assuming I don't lose it) & paste onto the forum.

I had wondered if I'd overdone the Cherokee stuff a bit – but, at least Jim & Zel are happy! :-D

What similarity there is between an '84 SUV, still being made, largely unchanged, nearly 20 years later (shades of a certain van, popular in these circles) & the XM escapes me, although I can see the XM & Cadddy have something in common - they're both lovely 'til something goes wrong, perhaps.
Now, time was when I quite liked the XM, I recall being rather taken with that smoked panel hiding the indicators & reversing lights: different but aesthetically pleasing! Only last year, wandering around their designated area at a French Citroen event, I realised, somewhat ironically, that I actually preferred the estate. None of this, I should perhaps stress, was in any way related to what I might buy. Over the last 12 months or so, I have warmed to Xantias but suspect a ZX or Xsara would be more in my price range (unwilling as I am to spend money on cars, as much as they mean to me). At the Northern Rally I was idly looking at a cheap Xantia, when I relised the XM next to it was also for sale - & even (a bit) cheaper. I was tempted, but resisted, even though there was someone there I knew, who could advise me whether it was worth the money AND what I should expect to do to it. Now, quite by chance, I've found a pair (well, 2 odd ones) for a decent price not a million miles from me. Kismet, mental aberation? No, first, I really do need to be rid of at least one Cadillac – although I shall be getting another, & a Cherokee or two, perhaps depending on whether we can restore Drive to the green one.
Last edited by van ordinaire on 31 May 2017, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
daviemck2006
Donor 2024

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Hi van, just wondering if you could measure the load bay on your c15 for me please. Im looking for a little van and quite fancy a c15 as its different from the thousands od berlingos and partners. TIA Davie

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen dispatch 2014
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

I cheated & took these dimensions from the handbook:
loadspace is, 1.64 m long, 1.54 wide (1.11 between wheelarches) & 1.23 m high (1.14 above wheelarches) which, I think, you'll find compares very favourably with the opposition.

An excellent choice, if you're familiar with 205's you'll be right at home with the mechanics, because under that Visa front sheet metal, it IS a 205!

I was looking for a Berlingo but changed my mind & glad I did, whereas I understand that many who have traded-up to Berlingos, Partners, even Kangoos - have regretted it.

Anything else you think I might be able to help with, just ask.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
daviemck2006
Donor 2024

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Thanks for that. I don't often see them for sale, but there is one I see just now on a 53 reg but it's 300 miles away. I'd like to inspect one before I went buying one that distance away. I know I bought my 205 over 300 miles away, but I knew what I was speaking about having previously owned one. I like the older, more simple engineering of a 205 against a say 207 so I'm presuming I'd like the same about a c15 compared to a berlingo.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen dispatch 2014
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
white exec

Unread post by white exec »

C15's aplenty on our patch. On the way back home last night at about 2230, we passed no fewer than four - all white, and 15RD as they are here - in the space of five minutes.

You can pick them out with your eyes closed: just listen for the rear end graunch from the trailing arm bearings, on the unloved ones. (Our BX did the same, along with a leaning-inward rear wheel. No bloody grease nipple (until mod'd)!
Last edited by white exec on 31 May 2017, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

white exec wrote: You can pick them out with your eyes closed: just listen for the rear end graunch from the trailing arm bearings, on the unloved ones!

:lol:

On a similar note (excuse pun please) I can always identify a PSA diesel when one is behind me when cycling. No need to look around, purely by engine note...

One's ears get very well tuned when riding... A vital safety thing and a reason why I won't listen to am MP3/Radio player when on the bike...
Jim