Alloy Wheelnut Adapter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickeymoon

Re: Alloy Wheelnut Adapter

Post by mickeymoon »

I called a guy out to remove mine when they wouldn't undo on my C4 VTS. He had a thing like an impact driver with a "socket" on that was just too small to fit over the wheel bolt, and BFO hammer.

He removed all 4 in less than 2 mins.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

No tyre place would touch mine or had tools to get them off, so they claimed. They were all independents too, one of which I'm a regular at!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My usual way of removing such things is to weld a nut onto it, if you can find a reasonably sized one and weld through the hole you shouldn't do to much damage. I have often used this method to remove studs that have broken off flush. The heat also expands the bolt making it looser.

I scrapped the locking bolts on my 406s and replaced them with secondhand ordinary ones. If you have the type with 4 pins 2 of them are usually at 180 degrees, if you grind off the other two in my experience they have fitted other cars, but have a look first.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Something like this might get them out...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip ... ansion+Set
Chris
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: Alloy Wheelnut Adapter

Post by daviemck2006 »

white exec wrote:Something like this might get them out...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip ... ansion+Set
I have those and they wouldn't take off citroen nuts. The guide bit of the nut broke off as it's supposed to do and it does not leave a big enough bit to get a hold of. I had to drill one of my studs off which took a long time and plenty swearing. My indy said have you got a drill? I said yes buy no decent bits. He gave me a few bits and said go home and drill then!

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As I said in my first reply I just popped into my tyre place and they had a box full of tools to remove them.............and a lump hammer to hit them with :) all four off in under ten minutes and no charge, although I do buy all my tyres from them.
Had the new bolts already from Ebay.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I think that's broken, half of it has been ripped off.
They don't look broken, they look the same as the ones on my C5, the "key" has four pins which latch the little cutouts. It should be in the car somewhere.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Homer wrote:
They don't look broken, they look the same as the ones on my C5, the "key" has four pins which latch the little cutouts. It should be in the car somewhere.
I think the op has said he's already searched the car and been unable to find the tool, I still say the one in the op's photo looks broken, the round guide that the tool fits on has been broken off, it could of course be just the photo not being clear enough.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

A neighbour had a similar problem with a new-to-her Fiesta. The dealer was able to supply the right adapter from the VIN and proof of ownership - think it took 2 days to come from central stores. I suspect there are finite variations so they can hold a stock. I don't remember what it cost - maybe £40 ish, a lot for piece of steel but compared with fines for 4 illegal tyres or being stuck on a motorway with a flat, not bad.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

For £40 you could get the old locking bolts taken out and buy four second-hand standard wheel bolts and still have enough for a several gallons of fuel to celebrate.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

For £40 you could get a set of locking nut/bolt removak sockets (probably the ones Gibbo's tyre place uses) AND a new set of lockers (if you hadn't learned your lesson).

Actually, I have done this for some unfortunate who had a puncture outside my house, in a car he's obviously not had long & didn't know it had locking nuts. After some time & effort using anthing that came to hand mind (hand?) - he didn't have any tools - I remembered the Gator Grip (?) socket (that's one of those with lots of pins in it) that I'd bought on a whim & never used! Worked a treat, probably helped by the nut, by this time (long passed the sh*&t or bust stage), being burred, distorted & generally abused.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Homer wrote:
I would agree they dont look broken too. These bolts have a weak point designed to shear if someone tries to force them. In they pic above the look in tact, you can even see them casting a shadow in the pic.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Homer wrote: They don't look broken, they look the same as the ones on my C5, the "key" has four pins which latch the little cutouts.
Like this one

And no, it wasn't in the car. I was lucky, in a sense, in that I never got to use the bolt extractors as work took over my time. Inbetween I made a few phone calls, to Citroen and Peugeot, tyre places and motor factors but got nowhere. Yesterday, on my way home from work, I nipped into a back street garage I use for the heavy stuff I can't handle. After the usual insults about the s**t Citroens I take their I explain my predicament. "Blue plastic box over there. If you don't find one in there we ain't got one". Sure enough, amongst the huge amount there was, I found the above. The only comment I got on leaving was "Remember where it lives". :roll:

One hit with a cracking bar on each and all four came out with ease

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done, and it looks like they were NOT sheared. Nice. I take it standard bolts will be going in instead?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

The alloys have nearly new tyres on them so they are going on another C4GP I bought for swmbo as this one is being stripped this weekend as the mercenary in me has found a Pug 5008 with a poorly engine to which this engine and box (with nearly new clutch) will be going into. Front end already sold to a guy with same car in same colour that's had a smash. And I have my eye on a C4GP that's had a sideswipe.