Toolbag Tales-Homemade and improvised tools

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2020

Re: Toolbag Tales-Homemade and improvised tools

Post by bobins »

So.... what to do ? :-k
I wanted to fit front fog lamps to my hairdryer as I always think it looks somewhat naff having the black plastic blanking covers where the fog lamps should be on them. No problem - I got a set of second hand Jagwarrrr F-Type front fog lamps as they're the same as the MX5 ones, but a hell of a lot cheaper second hand.
I procured a used MX5 double fog lamp switch (front/rear) which goes into the same hole as the old single position rocker one.
MX5 fog switch
MX5 fog switch

The only issue was that one of the switches is designed to latch, and one not. No problem, the non-latching bit can be overcome with more wiring and relays....... But I'm a cheapskate :lol:
So...... out with the screwdriver.
Fog switch internals
Fog switch internals
Take both switches out and see what makes them tick.

Here's the latching one. The two components more or less in the middle of the switch are what make it latch - a small spring with a bent bit of wire resting on it, and another spring sticking out from the end. I'm sure you're ahead of me here :-D
Switch latching bit
Switch latching bit
The non-latching switch already had the spring recess and wire pivot hole molded in, so it was just a case of..........
One small butchered spring, and one paperclip that gave its life so something else could work later, and I'd replicated the latching mechanism in the non-latching switch. Result ! :)

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

bobins wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 17:44
So.... what to do ? :-k
I wanted to fit front fog lamps to my hairdryer as I always think it looks somewhat naff having the black plastic blanking covers where the fog lamps should be on them. No problem - I got a set of second hand Jagwarrrr F-Type front fog lamps as they're the same as the MX5 ones, but a hell of a lot cheaper second hand.
I procured a used MX5 double fog lamp switch (front/rear) which goes into the same hole as the old single position rocker one.

I note there is no tell tale on the rear light part of that switch bobins, so I assume you are fitting an aux reminder somewhere? After all having made it latching it wont go off with the lights and so come on whenever you put on the headlights unless you have remembered to switch it off. Don't want to join the mindless moron group that drive around with fog lights blazing on bright rainy days now do we? :-D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Bobbins 🙂 I must say the MX5, in MK1 guise at least, has a rather nice dash. The MX5 living with me has a bad case of fading on the wood trim though... Not sure if the wood is real or fake? I suspect it's the former...

bobins
Donor 2020

Post by bobins »

Already taken care of - I've simply transferred the wiring from the old rear switch to the new switch which incorporates wiring to the dash rear fog warning lamp. One of the switches will illuminate its own internal lamp, and the other will light the dash light. :)

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

bobins wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 18:11
Already taken care of - I've simply transferred the wiring from the old rear switch to the new switch which incorporates wiring to the dash rear fog warning lamp. One of the switches will illuminate its own internal lamp, and the other will light the dash light. :)
Excellent, well done that man!! =D>

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Nice dash, new lights I can think of at least 2 FCF threads which would be a welcome home for images of the finished job. Nice arty night-time shots please. :-D

Regards Neil