Hi.......................... im back......

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Hi.......................... im back......

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Qrt?? I dont do abbreviations often jim..
QRT - I am stopping sending and/or I am closing down my station. Old morse radio procedure signal...

It will only be temporary in my case - more of a QRX* than a full QRT ;)

*QRX - I will call you again at <date/time> / I'll be back at<date/time>

That Xantia looks smart Paul and well worth sorting...

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

It has two awfull weld patchs on the rear outer cills.. but solid. . Other wise good..

So does the cph control b pillar lamps and foot welll lumination seperatly then?

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IIRC the switch had three contacts, and there were three wires on the plug. I think that one wire was for earth, one was for a direct feed, and one was fed via the door switch. I only had the foot well lights on my earlier Xantia (an SX), and I did not have any issues with the lights on that one, so I cannot say if the switches controlled the foot well lights. My later Xantia had the switch issues, but no foot well lights.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Four wires.. :wink:

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Nothing done yet... only after today's storm the passenger mirror woke up again. There was no life from it nor electric adjustment then i left work.. got to mums backed up and the mirror dipped.. so i checked it on the adjuster and it all worked again.. bizzare.. a job to tick off i guess..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Nothing done yet... only after today's storm the passenger mirror woke up again. There was no life from it nor electric adjustment then i left work.. got to mums backed up and the mirror dipped.. so i checked it on the adjuster and it all worked again.. bizzare.. a job to tick off i guess..
As I say, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good :)

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

An update.. i left the interior lighting for now.. and moved on..

There was a non functioning fuel guage. After a bit of probing and proding i discovered the metal arm that holds the float was the wrong shape.. a bit of reshaping and its now roughly correct bearing in mind the orange light gives around 60 miles..

Happy with that the next was non functiong electric front windows.. posting else where i asked for wiring diagrams and location of relays. I got the wiring diagrams and armed removed the door card to check out the motors.. cable wires turrned out to be fine.. so it was door off

Throughly checking the harness showed wire insulation cracking up but only one small white wire broken... so that wasnt the issue

So centre console out i followed the door harness.. it comes out the drivers door down under the carpet across the drivers foot well.. up and over the centre .. and across to a plug on the passenger side.. this.. unfound untill after i took the centre console out to follow it.. so. I decided to lift the carpet on the passenger side and remove the plastic protector cover... and lo and behold all was revealed..

Yup.. water has been gettting into the plugs and has corroded the copper and a number of wires broke off.. including the feed to the windows.. a quick strip back and twist join temperary and hey presto working windows.. i now also beleve this plug is responsible for lack of B pillar illumination..

elma

Post by elma »

It's can be a nasty little surprise taking out that carpet. I did the same this weekend and had to bypass the other connector as I had similar issues. In my case I now have working remote locking which is very nice.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's been wet for a while Paul...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

See Jim, I told you that spray "Contact Cleaner & Protection Wax" was a good thing.

That look horrid !

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:See Jim, I told you that spray "Contact Cleaner & Protection Wax" was a good thing.
Absolutely, it would have saved that one...

I had the same problem with a connector in the passenger footwell in the original Rattiva... I had to cut it out and join the wires using butt crimps...

Main thing though is to check your floorpans for water ingress regularly and take prompt action if you find things a bit moist down below...

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I think ill have to cut this one out too...

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

So.. i tackled the bull at the horns and decided to remove the plug from the harness...

It took a good two and a half wires.. but i now swear by the paste flux for soldering!! Without it id have been stuffed as a few wires once cut away were copper corroded and all black and have never of soldered...

Half way break... lol

The finished resulting look...

All joints soldered nicely and strong useing flux paste and now to put back under the carpet.

The result . Well a couple of good results..

B Piller interior lights work again
The door open warning light from drivers door works now so i wont leave the lights on again
The alarm siren doesnt seem to have gone off after ten mins when locked with the plipper

Ao now to look at why the battery flattens after two days parked up..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Paul :D Good work =D>

Why did you solder rather than use butt crimps? Soldering can cause the joints to become very brittle and the wiring is brittle enough as it is :twisted:
citroenxm wrote: now to look at why the battery flattens after two days parked up..

Hopefully between us we've got that one cracked too!

Standing current draw should be around 50mA (0.05A)

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I prefer soldered joints.. many a but connectors ive seen have been badly crimpped.. and there were quite a few very low current cables that would hardly hold.. then there were 4 very large higher current wires which i dont beleve butt connectors would carry for very long...

Bit of my harness working history showing through.. the cables themselfs were not suprisingly very brittle at all..