Tales from beyond the grave AKA Dan & Emma's Black Xantia, pug 206HDi, Daniel's 206 Verve 1.4i, GTi180 plus XUD9TE 206!!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Re: Tales from beyond the grave AKA Dan & Emma's Black & White Xantiae... & a 206

Post by ekjdm14 »

Compressor finally arrived yesterday, so a couple of hours was spent stripping & removing the rear beam from the 206. It actually all came apart without much of a struggle, surprisingly considering it's never been touched in the 15 years the car has been around. There wasn't even any corrosion on the subframe bolts, obviously had a quiet life until now this car... Compressor was definitely a boon though when it came to removing fastners, must have saved at least 30 mins of sweating & spannering :)

On stripping down it's easy to see how knackered the offside bearing was at least, the "good" nearside tube is also Brinelled on it's underside. The only surprise here is how little play could be felt with the beam on the car, the offside inner bearing is completely ground into dust & the tube itself is very heavily corroded. I'll try & get some pics up later as it's shocking that the car drove as well as it did like this!

Now I'm off out to give the "new" beam a good clean up & lick of paint, pull the rear arch liners out & remove all the debris from behind them while access is good and do any small repairs/undersealing that needs done. Also going to have the beam lowered a bit when it goes back together as that's what the better half wants & who am I to argue? Personally I think it'll look strange while it's still on 14" wheels but alloys are on the shopping list when the tyres are finished with. (also going to either fit lowering springs to the front, or some coilovers I spotted on ebay which look the business).

Anyway, that's me for now. Off to sweat it out in the sun now, at least the underseal will go on nicely in this heat lol.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Tales from beyond the grave AKA Dan & Emma's Black & White Xantiae... & a 206

Post by CitroJim »

Do you think the old beam is salvagable Dan or is it too far gone and ovalised?

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

The stubs are absolutely shot, although I think the outer bearing surface has survived so it could possibly be rebuilt in much the same way as I'm doing with the donor beam except the stubs would have to be replaced as well. It's something I was prepared to do if I had to, but it looks a royal PITA so glad to sidestep that one for now!

Some worthwhile progress made this afternoon despite the heat, although not all of it in the direction intended. The subframe/heart of the beam is now nice and shiny like a new one and is bolted up to the car but having looked at the front-rear brake pipes I've decided to replace those as well rather than struggling with the terminally rusted flare nuts. Sooo, aside from fitting the cleaned up subframe & giving the rear arches a good clean out & coat of fresh underseal all I've achieved is dropping the fuel tank (thankfully near empty!), removing the battery box & wriggling the old brake lines out from under the car.

Order of the day tomorrow will be shaping up & clipping in new copper brake lines all round, although it'll be Monday before I can finish the job as I'm out of flare nuts. Also, time permitting I'll get on with cleaning the trailing arm assemblies & fitting the new bearings, assembling them onto the beam & setting the torsion bars for a nice (possibly 50/maybe 60-70mm) drop and putting the rest of the back of the car together. Not too fussed about waiting on the flare nuts as I have a pair of QH flexi hoses in the post too that it'd make sense to fit.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's good work Dan and good to do it whilst the subframe and beam is out of the way.

Definitely a good idea to replace iffy looking brake pipes...

That 206 will be good for years yet after all the TLC you're giving it :)

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

I hope so Jim, although I think there's some improvements to be made to the rustproofing on the rear chassis legs as well but they feel OK for another couple of years so I've elected to just grease the thin areas and do welded repairs if/ when needed.
Personally I'd have sold it and run the 2 Xants but it's Emma's car and she likes it so I'll just make it as good as I can :)

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Black managed to disgrace herself yesterday, ran out of fuel with the gauge showing nearly 1/4 tank! First time I've known a French fuel gauge to over read, the exception that proves the rule?

Anyway, wasn't too much of an inconvenience despite being a good hours walk from a petrol station. We simply went into the corner shop 5 minutes down the road, purchased 3 litres of best Rapeseed oil and were underway again with a quick squeeze of the primer. :) Since we've had the drip from the fuel pump we've been running on 100% veg as it doesn't stink and pollute the ground as much as fossil fuel, morning starting has been less than perfect & it sounds like it's got a racy cam for a minute or so but that's soon to be addressed with the rebuilt pump, just need a working 206 first...

elma

Post by elma »

Xantia fuel gauges all seem to do this nowadays. Ten years ago they weren't so bad. Running veg may not be helping. If you havent already it may be worth cleaning the gauze on the tank pick up.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have no trust whatsoever in any Xantia fuel gauge... Actually in any Xantia gauge!

Gabriel's occasionally plays up and under-reads by about a quarter of a tank...

The Activa tends to be a bit optimistic.

I always keep the tanks well filled up and look more at the trip recorder than the gauge...

Likewise, I have absolutely no faith in the fuel consumption/range computer on the 207...

elma

Post by elma »

I always try to fill mine up by halfway or 300 miles, whichever comes soonest.
Get to a quarter and that scary engine cough can develop but won't necessarily.

10 years ago in 1.9tds I used to go 45miles when the red light came on with no problems.
Wouldn't dare nowadays.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I am probably living in a fools paradise but have great faith in the gauges.
My car is currently empty but I know it will last another couple of days so will fill it up tomorrow.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 15:05
My car is currently empty but I know it will last another couple of days so will fill it up tomorrow.

The stress of that would kill me Steve :twisted:

I start to get anxious when the gauge, backed up by the trip, says there's only half a tankful left...

By the time the gauge is heading for the red I'm a complete basket-case :lol:

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

After judicious experimentation I have deduced that I have about sixty miles left when the light comes on and the beep sounds.
I have a 65L tank that I managed to get 72L in one day - must have been close :shock:

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

myglaren wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 15:05
I am probably living in a fools paradise but have great faith in the gauges.

I wouldn't have said I had faith in the gauges accuracy, as much as I had faith that it only tended to under-read up to now.

The veg probably hasn't helped, quite correct & had it not rained so thoroughly today I'd have had the sender out & cleaned up but will soon. Need to tend to both Xantia in that respect since White was on the peg when she arrived but has subsequently gone up enough to put the light out without the addition of any fuel...

The only time I get any real paranoia is when I either know the gauge is faulty (as I do now with Black) or when the light has been on for 20 miles or so. I do like to perform a little experiment with new-to-me cars though to ascertain the fuel light's meaning in relation to how far I can go. As soon as the light comes on properly, I zero the trip & run round with a can in the boot until it starts to run out. (good way to get any crap sucked into the old filter before a service too lol)

elma

Post by elma »

myglaren wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 16:06
After judicious experimentation I have deduced that I have about sixty miles left when the light comes on and the beep sounds.
I have a 65L tank that I managed to get 72L in one day - must have been close :shock:

I'd agree with that exactly 10yrs ago on a xantia. Nowadays I find their gauges prone to mood swings.
Dan if you park facing downhill when youre lowish on fuel the Xantias are far more likely to start in the morning. I've run out before hitting reserve in a Xantia in the past by parking facing up a steep hill.

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

I'd never intentionally run low enough for parking uphill to make a difference, "test mode" excepted, too close to the bone that! :D

Sun's back out today anyhow so with luck the 206 will be back in commission and ready for MoT shortly, provided I don't overheat too much. If I get a moment I'll pop the tank senders out and give them a spruce up too.