Tales from beyond the grave AKA Dan & Emma's Black Xantia, pug 206HDi, Daniel's 206 Verve 1.4i, GTi180 plus XUD9TE 206!!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Black Xantia NA Diesel auto... Do we have an engine?...

Post by CitroJim »

I've used a forklift to lift and engine in and out in the past... Works a treat...

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Engine crane is £19 for a day or £28 for two days, not sure on their mini/micro diggers as they're POA but there's only a small door with 8" step as access from the garage to back garden anyway sadly.
Plus there's not much we could use it for anyway as the missus is adamant I'm not ripping the annoying 8'+ conifers out between the back part of the old driveway and lawn, though it would make so much more garden space if I did *ahem*accidentally kill them off (not to mention how much my skin would thank me not having to trim those beastly things! haha)...

Digger/forklift idea is a nice thought & if I was able to borrow one cheaply I may have considered it but for my budget the engine crane is more than adequate... (if I was younger I may have been even more stingy and lashed something up with ramps, jacks and angle iron to drop the car over the top haha)

elma

Post by elma »

That's not a bad price.
In n Wales I was quoted £120 a week for a crane but we pay £110 a week currently for a mini digger.
I've assumed prices have gone up, could be wrong.
It was a couple of years ago I enquired about the crane and decided buying one made better financial sense.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

My mate took the gearbox out of S11A landrover with a mini digger.....!

elma

Post by elma »

Handy aren't they.

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

indeed, at those prices buying makes much more sense... To be honest if I carry on having a lot of faffing with engines I may take the plunge this year and get one myself. cheapies rated at either 1 or even 2 ton seem to be about 100 quid on ebay which is a bargain to be quite honest even if they did require a bit of bracing and valve fiddling to cope with heavier tasks...

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

And just seen this one for a penny under 60 quid! I might try my luck with one next week, even if it only does for the Xantia & one other before dying it'd be same as hiring for 2 jobs of 2 days, and total cost is less than the deposit for hire too!

elma

Post by elma »

That was my thinking when in the same position, you might even sell it for £70 when you've finished.

Ah just looked at the ad, probably not as I assumed it was used.

Good price though and should be guaranteed for a year.

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Engine duly arrived at about half 6ish, on first impressions it's better than I have any right to expect for an engine costing £20 delivered to my door. Seller believes it to be on about 150k or thereabouts and it's from a ZX. it's an early type same as the outgoing unit which is a bonus IMO even if that does mean I have the awkward cambelt cover bolt at the back. It appears well stored with intake/exhaust and fuel inlets blocked off, it turns freely on the crank pulley nut, compression is evident and it's a very clean & dry example that smacks of being well cared for. Only crud is a few greasy deposits down the front likely from spilled oil top-ups and some bits like the fuel filter housing and cambelt kit don't appear to have been on it for a long time prior to removal.

Next week or so I'll be swapping a few ancillaries over although I will likely keep the Lucas injection system for the moment at least, removing the flywheel and swapping the crank pulley as the Xant's item looks better. Depending how itchy I get I'll either buy one of those cranes on Tuesday when I get paid, or just get the engines ready to swap and hire one for the day. Excitement is building now I have my grubby little mitts on what I need to make the old girl live again. :)

Thanks again to David (fastandfurryous) for dropping the engine off with us and at such a reasonable price, and also big thanks are due to Simon (Harlequin) for putting us in touch in the first place. Your help is very much appreciated.

elma

Post by elma »

ekjdm14 wrote: even if that does mean I have the awkward cambelt cover bolt at the back.

It's only awkward by reputation. I've never had any trouble getting a 1/4 ratchet onto it with the top mounts undone and the engine slightly tilted forwards. Trying to take it off before the engine mount is undone would be a nightmare though.

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Re: Black Xantia NA Diesel auto... Replacement engine is here!

Post by ekjdm14 »

IIRC I had no trouble with it on the old engine either, it is a strange location for a bolt though. To be fair though I prefer a bolt to a clip, and I ought to be able to install the engine with the cover already in place once the cambelt is changed so not a problem. I think the awkwardness is more down to how likely one is to drop the bolt on removal/refitting than getting a spanner/socket on it?

elma

Post by elma »

I don't know, never had a problem with it. I'm like that, got these girly fingers that do the trickiest of jobs without complaint. You should see me struggle with the stuff everyone else finds easy.

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Haha I'm a serial nut/bolt/spanner dropper and probably could spend as much time grovelling looking for bits as actually working if I didn't pace myself... too much enthusiasm to see the results is the culprit there!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely result on the engine! That's excellent :)
elma wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote: even if that does mean I have the awkward cambelt cover bolt at the back.

It's only awkward by reputation. I've never had any trouble getting a 1/4 ratchet onto it with the top mounts undone and the engine slightly tilted forwards. Trying to take it off before the engine mount is undone would be a nightmare though.

They are OK to leave out ;) Gabriel does not have one and seems not to miss it!

I find a 'half moon' (crescent-shaped) spanner is good for undoing/doing them up... Not such a problem on the NA is the turbo piping is no in the way of it...

elma

Post by elma »

Yes, turbo pipes undone, thats the other critical thing.

Half moon spanner does get it well but I'm too impatient to use one unless it ratchets which mine does not.

With the engine out it shouldn't even be a problem if you drop the bolt and spanner.