Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by myglaren »

It allegedly bungs up piston rings eventually.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 12:35
Within your comment above Jim, is my 20 year old HDi considered modern? :) :?:
To me, yes!!!

The problem is, as I understand it, with running a common-rail DI diesel on clean straight veg. oil is the significant risk of liquid oil causing gumming due to blow-by past the pistons into the crankcase, especially on a cold engine. Rings are particularly at risk of gumming and then a vicious circle starts up...

And if enough straight veg. gets into the sump the level can rise to the extent the engine is in danger of an uncontrolled runaway...

Also veg may not effectively lubricate the precision parts of the HP pump and other precision parts of the injection system...

An IDI diesel where the oil is injected into a pre-chamber sees it vaporised very effectively under all conditions... Powerful glowplugs and lots of post-heating until the engine is truly hot helps...

To see how badly straight veg. oil gums just look at an XUD that's run on it for several years... It looks like an old chip pan :shock: :lol:

I've rebuilt Bosch diesel injection pumps that have run on veg. and I've had to chisel off the gummed deposits...
Peter.N. wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 13:07
The earlier 406's had the XUD engine which would quite happily run on chip fat but I think the Hdi will be a bit more particular on account of the fact that the injection pressure is about 20 times higher. Not heard of anyone who has tried it but I expect someone will pop up and prove me wrong.
With a Bosch VP or AS pump, yes... Not if they have a Lucas DPC...
myglaren wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 14:04
It allegedly bungs up piston rings eventually.
Yes, as I understand Steve... That is so...

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

Thanks Jim, I knew about the cold engine issues which is why I went for the dual fuel system in my Mitsubishi's but my concerns are about the injection pump, so having read some more myself and taking on board what has been said here I have decided to abandon that plan!! Back to the drawing board :-D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Wasn't it Xac that had huge problems after running veg for a while?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 19:10
Wasn't it Xac that had huge problems after running veg for a while?
Oh gosh yes, It was his engine and pump, amongst several, I took a chisel to in order to remove the gummed-up veg. residue...

Technically it's described as polymerisation... To me it looked and felt more like Bakelite :twisted: :lol:

Great fun and happy days :)