Mk1 Xantia hp pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Mk1 Xantia hp pump

Post by Mandrake »

xantos wrote:Damn bubbles! When will we get to the bottom of it! :?
Only after the last Xantia has rusted away. :rofl2:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Re: Mk1 Xantia hp pump

Post by aerodynamica »

Well! after several weeks I took the Xantia into my workspace and began a proper investigation. Still bubbles in the LHM return after 12mm screw tightened. I removed the HP pump and had a look at the inlet connection - rubber hose a little hardened but no sign of it actually perishing. The pulley has a fairly obvious bit of excess endfloat and just felt worn. I decided to contact Pleiades and chat about it and finally sent the pump to them. Igot it back only 2 days later and Simon called me to discuss. It has new seals and a replaced shaft but the endfloat couldn't apparently be reduced due to reshimming causing it to seize up. I'm told seris 1 pumps were often seen to have this bit of endfloat.. Also the inlet connection was found to be loose and that could also contribute to it drawing a bit of air. Anyway, got it back , all looked promising and refitted with the inlet pipe trimmed down and a good new hose clip added. Same with the LHM tank end of it and finally with the engine running, had it all primed. I took extra care with this to ensure it was fully primed. Soon the 12 mm bolt retightened to reach it's first regulator cut-out and what a difference! It is quiet, and no bubbles at all in the LHM. In fact the only noise really is the hiss sound from the FDV valve that seems a bit louder (maybe due to higher output from the pump?) Now the ride raises much quicker from cold start as well. Recently the front end was taking ages to reach cruising height. No bubbles returning from suspension any more and so far the brakes are staying purged of air. Long term will tell for sure though. So all in all good result. I also ordered a custom suspension sphere for the front Hydractive regulator - a 500cc 75bar instead of the standard 400cc/75bar. The 500cc front of course, should be 70bar. The outgoing sphere tested on my sphere tester at 67bar (from its original 75) so I moved it to do time as the main accumulator. The outgoing accumulator tested at 50 bar so was getting low for the accumulator job but might serve as a rear center sphere in the next couple of years. See, I'm recycling!

With the car off the road for a week I also revamped the front arm P-bushings and front bushings - despite what I had heard, the bushings were very difficult to remove and I had to burn them out. New ones pressed in quite easily though and the P bushings were not too difficult with the help of the cutting disk (though I learned the hard way that you have to protect nearby things from the spray of melted rubber .... it's very hard to remove from the side of the car....) Changed the front ball joints (one needed the blow torch with the full hub carrier removed) and on the same side, I swapped the RH drive shaft that has a split CCV boot with a spare MK1 driveshaft I had (same number of teeth to the ABS ring you see). New gearbox oil and that finished that project. I must admit to feeling a little disapponted to how it drove on the way home - felt exactly the same! but at least I know all those things are done , MOT is looming in a couple of months. Thanks all for the advice.

Still need to hook the hydractive up to the Lexia with the right adapter.....
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi