So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by jgra1 »

I did another long trip in the X7 today, after about 1000 miles last week, and 500 the week before.... its really the first time I have used the car for these trips since I bought it from Scotland a year ago, and replaced and serviced the engine..
It is really a very good car, averaging 60 mpg, with fluid suspension, and also being an auto handled the journey today with so much ease!
I know its not new anymore, and they can have issues with wrong oil, infrequent oil changes, and bad jacking (which can help to fail the strut seals), and of course the rack..but its really quite sublime! and I have whinged most about the wallowy ride (which I still want to sort out)

it could just be a very last example of a car, and a good one..

it could

John
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: So whats your plan now their are no longer green or orange blooded Citroens being made?

Post by wurlycorner »

Well, the ride may not all be lost if these stories turn out to be true...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... t’-comfort

http://www.citroen.co.uk/about-citroen/ ... technology

Just without all the rest of the fun and function that went with hydropneumatic of course...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

So, light damping and spring rates, combined with progressive bump stops. I think they must be desperate to maintain some claim to being something special, ride-wise. Otherwise, what's the point?
Chris
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Certainly very little for me. My original reason for buying the Mk1 C5 was the height adjustment for heavy loads. Nothing in the "new" suspension to help me on that.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Paul-R wrote:Certainly very little for me. My original reason for buying the Mk1 C5 was the height adjustment for heavy loads. Nothing in the "new" suspension to help me on that.
This
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As a sixty plus years motor mechanic and trader I've never considered the need to be choosy about transport.

I've always run the part exchange 'bangers' any make any model whatever is sticking around waiting for a buyer.

My first car was a 1937 Austin ten Cambridge, I remember mending punctures at the roadside on a trip from Brum to Wallasey, always had to have the puncture kit and tyre levers in the boot.

My next was an ex army tilly truck a Hillman ten, you'll see one in the Dam Busters film, from then on I've had almost the full range from AC to Yugo and they've all served their purpose, getting me from A to B as needed.

I'm currently running a 2004 C5 2.0 HDI and whilst it was of the road with engine trouble I bought and used a 2002 Toyota Avensis Estate 1.8 petrol.

Next................................ :) who knows?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds about like me. My first car was a '39 Ford Prefect, transverse springs, rod brakes and no heater. I was a TV engineer but repaired my own cars which I still do.

My second car was a '50 Hillman minx, sheer luxury, independent front suspension, hydraulic brakes, 12v electrics, full width bench seats and column change, still a side valve engine but much better then the ford.

Unlike you though I did appreciate the nicer things and went on to have a string of Vauxhall Velox's and Cresta's.

I also liked the economy of diesel engines and did my first conversion in '59 followed over the years with about 10 more, until the Citroen diesels came out, no more need after that.

As I used to do a high mileage in my working life I went for comfort rather than speed, that's how I got hooked on Citroens, ran hydropnumatics for 30 years. Nothing rides quite like the older ones but the 406 is a fair compromise.

Peter
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I've already gone! When I scrapped the Xantia as no-one wanted it I bought a 2008 Volvo S60 with the gorgeous 2.4 d5. I'll be keeping my two old bangers as weekend toys but modern Citroen's just don't hold my attention.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I won't go through the whole car thing, but like Gibbo, I will use most things for transport. I try to get 4yrs from them once I give them a good shakedown with service and maintenance. C5 suits me perfect. Loading them up is the big advantage as Paul and Sticky mention. Normal cars can't take that, less you get heavy 4x4. Then you have expense of purchase, lower fuel consumption and really not that much room, considering the 4x4 tank you are driving.
If you only have cars to worry about in the future.........you'll be doing ok I reckon.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re:

Post by elma »

Eddie Nuff wrote:I've already gone! When I scrapped the Xantia as no-one wanted it I bought a 2008 Volvo S60 with the gorgeous 2.4 d5. I'll be keeping my two old bangers as weekend toys but modern Citroen's just don't hold my attention.
I had one of them for work, loved the engine and box but not the car. Briefly had a go with a C70 T5 as well (girlfriends) I liked that one.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

The engine and box is just cream, they marry up superbly. Interior is wanting a wee bit in that it all seems a bit crammed in, but the car as a whole is spot on. So much so that this one, which I bought cheap knowing it needed paint and brakes, will be having the wheels refurbed and new tyres and then being sold in the spring to fund a 3 or 4 yo S60 or S80 needing work. And swmbo likes the look of the newer C70 with the folding steel roof.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I had four BX and two Xantia but Hydractive II was as much electronics as I trust Citroen with. The prospect of an all electronic controlled suspension with no physical backup would worry me too much.

The steel sprung X7 seems pretty close in ride, although that is after nine years or so of people carriers so it may be a case of anything would be better.

It's a shame they decided continuing with hydropneumatic was too expensive and I think it's a position they put themselves in by making it too complicated, the old mechanical system worked just fine and was simple. There never was any need to try turn it into some advanced system no other car of the same class has.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, it was fine on the CX and even better on the DS. I suppose it comes down to cost, electronics are now a lot cheaper than mechanics.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Although I agree the design and the ride was somewhat better on the earlier models - it has to be said that it really wouldn't be acceptable by today's safety standards to have the suspension, brakes and steering all working off the same system - one fault and you've lost the lot! I've been caught like this several times with a hydraulic leak on a CX on a main road in a rural area with no Citroen dealer for 70 miles each way! I didn't have breakdown back in those days so had to wait hours to get some LHM delivered, just to allow me to get it off the road and left a green trail for several miles! That was always my biggest worry with one of the older cars. Have you ever tried to turn a CX steering wheel with no hydraulics? Almost impossible.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: Have you ever tried to turn a CX steering wheel with no hydraulics? Almost impossible.
No, but I have a Xantia with failed hydraulics and that was nearly impossible too...

I have to agree that a large hydraulic leak is fatal and I've had it happen once with a Xantia... And, unlike dual-circuit brakes there's not a lot you can do to make it failsafe really...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...