C5 Battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 Battery

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stickyfinger wrote:Ahh....the joys of plastic

I think the boot "Nets" and the tiny plastic clips on the surround were supplied from the factory broken :)
The thing is this corner finisher only weighs as much as a sweet wrapper!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I wish they would make car items from Vac-Pack plastic, I need metal shears to get into a Printer Ink cartridge pack !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Vinster 1969
My Cars: C5 X7 Tourer

Post by Vinster 1969 »

Paul-R wrote: 12 Jan 2017, 10:25 From what I've read that monitors the current flowing in and out by measuring the voltage across a resistance, not the voltage as such. So, if the battery is charged up incorrectly (directly to the terminals) or replaced by a different battery then there has to be a procedure to reset the parameters. I think this is what Monkeyfeet is referring to.

As a battery ages then it will not be able to give out as much current as went in so this must also be accountable somewhere.

Incidentally, if you charge the battery up in the correct manner so that the Battery Charge Status Control Unit is in circuit then that surely implies that the BSI has to remain awake all during that time the battery is being charged?
Hi Paul
You Refer to the cost of a new Battery Charge Status Control Unit. Mine is not responding to lecia so i would like to change it where can i buy one .
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When you say Lexia is not responding to it, what are you expecting? If you want a part number you'll need to supply your VIN. What makes you think it is not working?

Marc
enska
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5 Hdi 136 A 2010

Post by enska »

Hi Marc

My car C5 Hdi136 vin VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] LEXIA says: no connection to : Battery charge status control unit, i replaced it ( pn. 9801031580 ) and after that reset BSI, still same fault. What next, check wiring ?
Pls I need wiring diagram for battery status control unit.
Car runing ok, no warning lights lit, battery voltage is above 14 volt when egine runing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no schematic of the BCSCU internals. But the status of the unit can be seen using Diagbox and running a live parameter test on the unit or the battery. Take a screenshot so I can see what the readings are.

Some info regarding this - especially when it has been changed and regarding the 'rest' time of the battery.

Also make sure the BCSCU has been configured with the correct battery type after changing it:

Battery Type
  • 60 amps/hour L2 400 EXIDE, FIAMM or VARTA: 60 amps/hour
  • 70 amps/hour L3 450 EXIDE, FIAMM or VARTA: 70 amps/hour
  • 75 amps/hour L3 500 VARTA: 75 amps/hour

BCSCU Electrical Structure

Electrical supplies
The battery charge status unit is connected directly to terminal '-' of the battery and powered by terminal '+' of the battery.

System standby/triggering

Mode: Rest
In this mode, the battery charge status control unit does not carry out any operations; it is in a minimum consumption mode.
The LIN is deactivated.

Mode: Local triggering
In local wake up mode the battery charge status unit carries out measurements, calculations and parameter saves in order under some conditions to reset the battery charge status parameter.
The LIN is deactivated.

Periodic local triggering (activated by the real time clock)
The battery charge status control unit is fitted with a real time clock which allows it to be triggered periodically.

Local wake-up periods of the battery charge status unit:
  • Once every minute for a duration of 0,3 second in order to measure the physical parameters of the battery
  • Once every hour for a duration of 10 seconds in order to reset the battery charge status parameter
Local triggering activated by the exceeding of a current threshold
The battery charge status control unit is triggered locally when the battery current falls below - 500 mA (consumption on the network higher than 500 mA) or when the battery current is higher than 50 mA (current charged in the battery higher than 50 mA).

Mode: Active
The "active" mode is validated unconditionally when the LIN is activated (communication on the bus).
The battery charge status control unit is triggered with a delay of 0,276 second following the initialisation of communication activated by the BSI.
The battery charge status control unit becomes dormant following a delay of less than 1,3 seconds following the disappearance of or the request to stop communication on the LIN.

Triggering of the BSI following a drop in the battery charge status

When the vehicle is on standby, the battery charge status control unit can attempt to trigger the BSI1 each time the battery charge level drops by 10%.

Triggering attempts counter BSI
The "triggering attempts counter" parameter permits counting of the number of unsuccessful triggering attempts generated by the battery charge status control unit.

N.B.: A triggering attempt represents 6 successive unsuccessful triggering requests.

Backup Mode Info

Disconnection of the battery
Each time the battery is connected, the charge status unit switches to invalid mode, the accuracy of the charge status is then 12,5 % or higher.
Switch to the back-up status
Following a battery connection, the status of the battery charge status switches to the "back-up" status if the battery has not yet reached its optimum chemical rest status but is close to it.

The battery reaches its chemical rest when all of the following criteria are met simultaneously:
  • After a rest period of more than 4 hours
  • Internal battery temperature : Between -18°C and +38°C
  • Battery current : Between -200 mA and 50 mA
  • The battery voltage is decreasing (battery charged before the vehicle switched to standby))
  • In the back-up status, the accuracy of the charge status is between 7,5 % and 12,5 %.
Switch to the nominal status
Following a battery connection, the status of the battery charge status switches to the nominal status if the battery has reached its chemical rest status.
1) The battery reaches its chemical rest when all of the following criteria are met simultaneously:
  • After a rest period of more than 4 hours
  • Internal battery temperature: Between -18°C and +38°C
  • Battery current: Between -200 mA and 50 mA
  • The battery voltage is increasing (battery discharged before switch to standby)
2) The battery reaches its chemical rest when all of the following criteria are met simultaneously:
  • After a standby period of more than 32 hours
  • Internal battery temperature : Between -18°C and +38°C
  • Current supplied between -200 mA and 50 mA
In the nominal status, the accuracy of the battery charge status is 7,5 % or lower.
N.B. : The status of the battery charge status remains at "nominal" until the battery is disconnected.

Sensor fault
The status of the battery charge status is at "fault" if at least one of the sensors incorporated in the battery charge status control unit is faulty.
The built-in systems interface (BSI) no longer takes the battery charge status unit values into account.

Marc