Daytime running lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Daytime running lights

Post by GiveMeABreak »

white exec wrote:The good news here (Spain) is that driving with foglights on when there is no fog is an offence - points and fine.
The bad news is that traffic police almost never enforce it.
It's really annoying - the boy racers here who don't have DRLs just think it is totally cool to drive about with their fogs on all day - the problem is that the idiots can't be bothered to turn them off in the evening and so just dazzle everyone!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

van ordinaire wrote:Direct replacement LED's seem to be available @ http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-DRL-HP24W-7- ... -5008-/282.
Those are not direct replacements in your link - that's my point. Citroen only sell the complete bulb and holder module for the DRLs - they are not separate components. Therefore you have to firstly remove the old DRL bulb complete with the holders, extract the bulb from the holder, then use a fine knife to cut off some of the plastic lugs. This will enable the LED replacement which just has 2 long wires to be cut to length and inserted into the bulb holder so that the bulbs are seated firmly and won't work loose. None of those on the ebay link you supplied will work they are not the correct fitment for the bulb holder.

You need these: - the black part slides of - it is just a cover to protect the pins.
DRLs D.png
van ordinaire wrote:Personally I'm for LED's in most applications (all my rear light conversions have been very red, rather than very bright) but found that they're poor for illumination, so am interested what GiveMeABreak used in his reversing lights (I know there are some listed specifically for that application)
I used these: - but am not happy with them - they have 30 x 1210 SMD leds on each - but they are still not bright enough, although the colour temperature is a a crisper white. I will be replacing these in the next few weeks with a newer design which will improve matters -so I wouldn't recommend these. Below is a snapshot of the before and after with the current LED reversing light replacements:
X7 Reverse H21W LEDs Comparison C.png
These are the current LED replacements - but will be looking for some new ones.
H21W.png

Marc
Sunderas
My Cars: 2009 Citroën C5 Exclusive 2.0 Hdi

Post by Sunderas »

Anywhere in the EU it is illegal to use fog lights in the absence of fog conditions. I don't really know if it is so here in the UK. I've seen several drivers with them on so I am not certain. It doesn't really bother me as they usually point towards the ground.
I am going to try and get some sylvania leds or osrams and test them out. I'll leave pics as soon as I can do it.

Does anyone have a schematics of the rear lights? I really need to know what bulbs it uses.

I would also like to know what bulb you've used for the reverse. I also believe the same thing. There is badly any light being poured out through that gap. Let me know your newer replacements. I would assume it needs some decent CREE leds to pack a serious punch. Yours not only looks whiter, but looks brighter as well. Probably just not enough for you. :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sunderas wrote:Anywhere in the EU it is illegal to use fog lights in the absence of fog conditions. I don't really know if it is so here in the UK.
Does anyone have a schematics of the rear lights? I really need to know what bulbs it uses.

I would also like to know what bulb you've used for the reverse. I also believe the same thing. There is badly any light being poured out through that gap. Let me know your newer replacements. I would assume it needs some decent CREE leds to pack a serious punch. Yours not only looks whiter, but looks brighter as well. Probably just not enough for you. :)
Yes, you are only supposed to use fog lights in thick fog where there is poor visibility in the UK - but I swear some people use them because they can't be bothered to wash their windscreens!

Ok here are the bulb types (X7 Saloon) - I assume this is what you mean when you say 'schematics'

Rear:
The 2 Boot Lamps:
Top = Side lamp: R5W
Bottom = Reversing Lamp: H21W

Wing Cluster:
Top = Stop and Side Lamp: P21W / 5W
Bottom = Foglamp: H21W
Outer = Indicator: P21W

Marc
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

Exactly what I was looking for GiveMeABreak, thank you!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

The fog light thing really annoys me, I'm quite sensitive to light and cannot see when other drivers abuse their lighting systems. I'm often tempted to fit massive spotlights for revenge but I expect they would be just as blinded as me and probably drive straight into me. I've been wondering if the drive wear lenses, I wear glasses, which have a mild polaroid lens blended with a photochromic would reduce the dazzle somewhat. It's hard to understand the marketing around these lenses and I used to sell them!
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

elma wrote:The fog light thing really annoys me, I'm quite sensitive to light and cannot see when other drivers abuse their lighting systems. I'm often tempted to fit massive spotlights for revenge but I expect they would be just as blinded as me and probably drive straight into me. I've been wondering if the drive wear lenses, I wear glasses, which have a mild polaroid lens blended with a photochromic would reduce the dazzle somewhat. It's hard to understand the marketing around these lenses and I used to sell them!
Polarized lenses do exactly that, they polarize (filter) the light incoming, blocking out every light that does not conform with the polarization. If you live in a sunny country a polarized set of sunglasses feel like a godsend.

As for the fog lights I do not understand for the life of me why are they used in perfect conditions. They do not help at all to see better. Only to annoy other people.
Things is the nitwits that use these when you warn them they look at you like either you're insulting them or they simply don't understand what you are trying to communicate.
Too bad the police in this country does not enforce the law as these idiots say it helps. It helps?!? How bad do your headlight have to be for you to need the foggies?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Here is a solution for you :)

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Stickyfinger wrote:Here is a solution for you :)

That was my plan A, the idiots will just crash into me though if I blind them back.

I totally get polaroids, I spend 6 years studying and working in optics. I just don't want to spend £400+ to find out it's only a marketing lens, I don't trust the dummy lenses they show you in the opticians either they have totally different coatings to the ones we buy. I don't know of anyone who has actually bought a pair to get an honest evaluation from.

Theres a good explanation of polarisation here. It's not just a filter, it limits the directions that lightwaves can oscillate in. Not trying to doubt or undermine you, just for those who haven't come across it they filter in a particular way.
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

That is precisely it. I was trying to simplify it. I've used polarised glasses. The tint on the lenses is what cuts the light incoming. The polarisation cuts of mainly glare or bright spots. Try them in the summer, they are worth it. Although here in the UK that may be a not at all justified purchase as the sun never slams you. Summers here are the same as Spring in continental Europe. You should be able to get some Polaroid branded ones for less than 90 pounds.
As it polarises light you can sometimes see the the changes in light transmittance on cars' front and rear windshields due to the plastic present in the glass sandwich. :)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Polaroid sunglasses are principally designed to block/reduce light that bounces off reflective horizontal surfaces - eg the surface of the sea, wet roads, lakes and rivers, etc. The classic trick is being able to see 'through' the surface of a pond, to what is lurking underneath - an angler's boon.

To test the polarising effect, simply look through one eye, and rotate the specs slowly through 90deg. You will see the brightness alter.

As stated, there can be some unwanted effects when driving - toughened and laminated screens included. Some upmarket car windscreens and rear-view mirrors are themselves polarised to combat bounce-glare.

Car foglights and headlights do not produce light in any particular plane - just a haphazard beam/wash of light. As such, polaroid glasses will only have a limited effect on them, but will help with the light from them that reflects off road surfaces and bonnets.

There is no reason (apart from marketing/brand) why polaroid glasses should be expensive: the material they're made from is cheap as chips.

Now, if car headlights and foglights themselves were to be polarised, the fun could begin.
Chris
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

When I wear my polarising lenses in the X7 the digital speed indication becomes hard to read and I have to twist my head one way to make it clearer, twisting the other way causes it to disappear. I presume that the display is polarised at 45 degrees.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Rear-illuminated and unlit LCD displays all have polarising filters in them - it's how they work.
By placing a polarising film in front of one of these displays and rotating it, you can 'flip' the display from positive to negative. Try it on a calculator.
Anyone who has taken apart an XM matrix display will know there are several in there :? .
Last edited by white exec on 20 Jan 2017, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
hoggers
My Cars: C5 Exclusive

Post by hoggers »

I read this post last night and checked my lights this morning and realised of them doesn't work and I think they are after market LEDs?

What it looks like working on the drivers side

Anyone got a link to a standard set or a better after market option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They don't look right, I'll look them up in a bit. Your DRLs are at the bottom, where the bodywork meets in the picture and are probably not enabled - a Lexia can enable them, if there is no option to turn them on via the left hand steering wheel (wheel button) in the lighting menu.

Marc