Missing earth strap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Missing earth strap

Post by elma »

Stickyfinger wrote:Lol....the bonnet weighs the earth that's for sure ! ...best thing I did was fit gas rams

I did like that upgrade, Santa face was better though. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: Jim, I'd love to see you and a Xantia, please do visit in the new year when you have time. I've noticed the National Motor Museum is nearby, I think we'd enjoy a good look around after you've done some 2 wheeled exploring. Romsey, my local Town, is beautiful I've only had a little exploratory walk but I think it has enough to entertain us both for more than one visit.
James, excellent :D Be looking forward to that! We'll get something sorted before too long ;)
chinkostu wrote: It's worth noting the bonnet probably earths through the hinges anyway!
Yes, and therein, from an RF interference suppression perspective, lies an issue... The hinge pins are often a little corroded and this can lead to 'rusty bolt effect' wherein the corrosion on the hinge acts as a diode and can rectify any radiation (e.g. from the ignition and fuel injection systems) occurring under the bonnet and transform it into radio interference and potential interference to other vehicle systems.

I can tell you some interesting/entertaining tales of the 'rusty bolt effect' in the close vicinity of high-power HF radio transmitters ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:.....I can tell you some interesting/entertaining tales of the 'rusty bolt effect' in the close vicinity of high-power HF radio transmitters ;)
Brilliant, the conversation has come round to radio/electronics again :) I was thinking last night about the comment you made about aerial riggers being "characters" so to speak, brought about while staggering round Youtube as I couldn't sleep. I stumbled across a fella calling himself "photonic", happily sending c. 300Kv through a couple of old CRT's using home-made kit (also using home built transformers to melt various items like crowbars, indoors, upstairs on a wooden floor covered in old carpet).

Strange man, but also strangely fascinating videos and he did have some nice vintage control gear in his (for want of a better word) "den"

This one was interesting too, overdriving the CRT from an external source while the set was powered on...

March hare enough for the job? :rofl2:
Last edited by myglaren on 28 Dec 2016, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Youtube tags
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: Strange man, but also strangely fascinating videos and he did have some nice vintage control gear in his (for want of a better word) "den"
Strange indeed :rofl2: A real character..In a bizarre way I rather enjoyed those videos... Shame the language was a bit fruity in places...

ekjdm14 wrote: March hare enough for the job? :rofl2:
He makes a March Hare look positively sane!

I think he must be about the biggest nut-job I've ever seen. How he is still alive is something to marvel at :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I bet the local police ambulance and taxi guys love him when they try to communicate.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote: Strange man, but also strangely fascinating videos and he did have some nice vintage control gear in his (for want of a better word) "den"
Strange indeed :rofl2: A real character..In a bizarre way I rather enjoyed those videos... Shame the language was a bit fruity in places...
Haha yep, it is a shame he tends toward the Anglo-Saxon a bit too readily. I have to admit I have spent more than a few minutes watching some of his other videos too, pretty spectacular when he turns up the volts AND amps.

He is, however, very safety conscious. I've seen his risk assessment (in accordance with ISO 9000 no less! :-D ) and it makes for interesting reading too. Things like cracking one off every so often, in order to maintain full concentration seem to have made it into the list. Actually IIRC that was the only one of his objectives to be marked as fulfilled [-X

Gibbo, at least the fire station is only "a call away"... I'd lay odds that the local service already know how to translate his calls into English anyway
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'm really looking forward to seeing these videos. Finally I have rj45 connectors so I expect to have real internet this evening.