Anything Else Before I Swap the Pump

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Anything Else Before I Swap the Pump

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

just a couple of updates, one to say re-reading one of my previous posts, the 200mile away breakdown in Yorkshire was, of course, due to fuel pump failure [I hadn't made it clear]. The service I received from the two breakdown operatives from Thirsk and Birmingham respectively, contracted to Autonational Rescue was by the way, first class. I've been with ANR for some years now, used them a couple of times and been mighty impressed, they're cheap, too.

and 2, Weds has been and gone, its Thursday now and I am at least 'up to date' from previous spannering escapades, the 200+ photos are named & catalogued properly (Aspergers trait, often a useful one), my various 'time-costly' welding errors have been noted for avoidance of repetition and welding consumables have been ordered.

....useful note, my 'Super 6' wire started jammed 3 times in quick succession about 3/4 of the way through the spool so I binned the last of it and had no such problems with a new one; have one spare with this in mind if you use it.

My motivation to get the car fixed is no match for the cold weather outside, the numerous tasks I need to be getting on with which are not car related and the fact that we once again have use of Mum in Law's car, which while I rather dislike it; it works..... so it'll be at least a couple of days yet before any 'proper' news.

Do click the pics link for an 'omg' moment re packaging to an OS handbrake cable, for some just uploaded photos for a little light relief. :-D £6 inc p&p by the way

Hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas and is enjoying the 'twixt & 'tween' period we're in; perhaps with a bit o' spannering in a nice warm garage.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, definitely not at all the weather for delicate pump spannering - the last thing you need is numb fingers...

Let's hope the weather becomes favourable shortly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

well, as Toyah Wilcox would've said back when I were a boy..... "Its a Mystery"

Detail....
I goes out there, removes the front cam cover (OS mount already off) and tries to see whether the pump shaft's turning (unsure)
Disconnect the normal fuel feed at the fuel filter outlet and connect up a can
Prime the temporary system and turns it over
Fuel at the injectors, wahey, so the pump is ok.
Nips up the injectors & starts it (would've started easier if I'd remembered to uncover the air inlets!)

So its gotta be the fuel line...
Visually checks the fuel line itself partic near my welding, which is a good foot shy of the fuel line; and inspects the wet road for any tell-tale rainbow puddles
Removes the 'out' connection to the handprimer: instant fuel
Thinks to myself 'something's chaffed where the fuel line crosses the engine near the injectors....
Removes the outlet from the fuel filter again, and I've got fuel when I prime it
Removes the short pipe between the fuel filter and pump, just to be sure: no problem
Removes the return, again fuel when I prime it

Undoes the Injectors, turns it over... fuel, this time from the tank.
Feeling thoroughly confused by now
Does up the injectors, primes again, starts easily, lets it tick over 15mins ish

Fine....
What was it? Not the foggiest!

As for the Stop Lever Jim, mine's at a different setting to yours, always has been I think.

Only two things that's aren't right
1. You don't half have to move the throttle a lot to actually raise the revs, see video.
2. After taking it up the road for a joyride (60mph limits), I thought it sounded different when I got back; there's a bit more of a Diesel Knock to it (not like 'Ford' style or anything, but defo a touch louder). Wasn't the case while ticking over. Didn't drive it over-hard. No leaks at the injectors afterwards.

Photos, usual link
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6f3814dc2f

And while I'm at it. I note that I made a mess of fitting my NS Gaiter to the Steering Rack back in the summer, so much so that its split already. Any tips, not to get it on, but to get it secured. I had a right struggle with it last time and turns out I was ultimately unsuccessful.

I'll soon be replacing the OSR Handbrake cable, coz the OSR's not releasing properly, responds instantly to a not particularly hard clout on the backplate with a club hammer. I suspect the handbrake cable isn't the fault, partic as I rarely use it; but its a sensible starting point. Shoes and Slaves are both recent and I will have cleaned up & copper greased areas where friction might be a problem when I had it apart last. NSR Cable is nearly new also. Brakes themselves are excellent.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and happy motoring. This one's gonna go down as a bit of a mystery, and possibly bite me on the behind at a later date, hopefully not too far from home.
Puxa
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Has it been very cold in your area? I ask because I once had two VWs (Polo/Golf) broken down on a very frosty morning and it turned out to be water droplets in the tank to pump pipe where it ducked down under the chassis, water must have settled there and frozen.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done, hope it lasts. I used to get this problem when I repaired TVs for a living, dead as a doornail in the customers house, worked brilliantly when I got it on the bench. :?

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote:Well done, hope it lasts. I used to get this problem when I repaired TVs for a living, dead as a doornail in the customers house, worked brilliantly when I got it on the bench. :?

Peter
We've all had that with cars too Peter damned difficult to sort out and disbelieving customers.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

reckon you could well be onto summat there Gibbo. Christmas Eve was very cold.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance. May 2017 be reliable and provide lots of opportunities for enjoying our cars. =D>
Puxa
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Interesting, and a thought that *should* have crossed my mind also since I'd already noted the recent fill-up and possibility of contaminated fuel... Shame I didn't think about the possibility of freezing weather too. Hope this turns out to be the extent of the problem & no damage done.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

talking of which, as part of my research into what I'd anticipated to be pump failure, I noted a couple of interesting points on other web pages, amounting to.....

the lack of sulphur in modern 'Ultra Low Sulphur' diesel fuel perhaps compromising fuel pump lubrication and potentially causing failure, ironically, at least a couple of forum users suggested the use of a small quantity of two stroke oil to replace the lost lubricity

even more ironically, its suggested that pump diesel is potentially only 93% diesel, and 7% something else, possibly biodiesel !!

some report noticeable differences in performance with supermarket fuel

there's a repeated suggestion that Shell fuel is superior

I also checked out Millers Ecomax Diesel Treatment, but its Cetane content and reading that it 'smells like a solvent' suggested to me that its largely an 'injector cleaner' and in terms of lubricity would be a sizeable backward step. I once did an oil change using Millers oil, it was memorable because I did another less than a 1,000miles later. The engine (XUD9 na in a 309) ran noticeably louder on it; so I have a very low opinion of that brand. I do recommend Wilko 15w-40w semi, which I've used for some years now in the 3 'family' cars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low ... pean_Union
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... tm?t=87962
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/addin ... page3.html
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, nowadays all Diesel does indeed have a percentage of bio stuff in it... I believe it may even be an EU legal requirement....

Pleased the original problem is sorted but it's an odd one... Hate such problems like that that have no clear-cut diagnosis...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

CitroJim wrote:hate such problems like that that have no clear-cut diagnosis...
me too. All good so far and successfully completed a 250mile journey, with the ol girl driving nicely with not the slightest of issues. 'tis nice to actually use it. Also now got through most of the fuel from the pre-Christmas visit to the pumps, so can be trying some other brands.

Inclined to think that one poster's suggestion of a drop of water iced up in the fuel line the most likely cause.

Me thinks I'll pack the spare pump if we take it abroad this year, just in case, though. Sun [newspaper] holiday vouchers start tomorrow: done lots of them usually at a cost of between £25 to £35 each and highly recommend 'em (reading the paper itself optional).

Talking of which: after-thought. If I remove the pump from the 2nd spare engine (known good but head gasket failed), will an occasional turn of the crank back & forth til pistons gently meet valves (obviously I won't be able to refit the cambelt) be enough to keep it from seizing in storage; and I guess at 'spanner speed' there's no real danger of any valve damage?
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Delighted to hear all is still well :D Chances are now it will be...

Yes, your method to keep the engine good is OK. I'd have the glowplugs out and squirt a load of oil into each cylinder too...

As for the pump, empty it of diesel and refill it with light machine oil to preserve it. I've used LHM in the past for this job.

Diesel hanging around in a pump for a long time can cause corrosion due to the water entrained in it... I have seen pumps wrecked because of this.
Jim

moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Quick hijack, good advice on storing the pump. I've always used a bit of 'rouge' or 'red' to you in the UK. I use it as a parts washer, degreaser etc. for engine parts and a preservative. Not thought about the water content. Better empty my spare epic and refill with green juice
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone