For my sins.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: For my sins.

Post by Richard_C »

I see that A16 BXC is available from DVLA for £250 - after all its A 1.6 BX Citroen :-)
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

[emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

white exec wrote:
Richard_C wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote:Cock & Trumpet, the pub that was on the same site.
Gosh. :shock: I wonder what the pub sign looked like???? :roll:
Just as intriguing as The Tart'n'Blanket . . .
When on earth did I write that? :shock: have I fallen victim to Anonymous hackers perhaps? :?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Does anyone watch Car SOS? They were rebuilding a Nissan Skyline in the last episode I saw. Fuzz Townsend was replacing the cambelt. He carefully cut the old one in the middle with a Stanley knife all the way round so in effect he'd got two belts side by side. Then he slackened the tension slightly and removed the outside half of the belt. He slid the new belt on and then cut the rest of the old belt off. Re-tensioned everything and didn't have to time the engine or lock any sprockets up. I've never seen that done before.[emoji3]

Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Maybe on a Skyline in a TV studio - but not a Citroen in the real world.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Dennismenace92
My Cars: 2018 Renault Megane RS280 Cup
1990 Citroen BX 16 TGS Auto

Post by Dennismenace92 »

demag wrote: 15 Dec 2016, 15:14 A couple of years ago I became the custodian of a quite rare Bx. It is a Tgs automatic, I think there are eight on the road presently. I drove it back from Bristol to home and for an old car in need of some tlc it went reasonably well. Over the ensuing months I have picked away at it and got quite a few jobs done. I didn't mot it last year because I had that much going on after I retired it would have been pointless. However I managed to repair/replace/rebuild the carb, Speedo, fuel pump, time the ignition which was mysteriously retarded, start changing the gearbox Dexron ll and had all the spheres checked and recharged plus I repaired some odd electrical faults.

Then.... I had to move it on Monday because we are having the drive block paved. It started and stood up as it always does and just as I was reversing off the drive down it went! Not nowww! I got it moved onto the chapel carpark next door but knew it couldn't stay there. So popped over to see Paul the indie and explained my dilemma. Normally a grumpy bugger he enthused about it saying he hadn't seen one for years. So he gave me the number of a friendly recovery man, Breakdown Brian! [emoji3] Well I rang him and he seemed a really nice chap. He came over yesterday and turned up in a beaver tail Transit. I thought there's no way it will go on that but you know it went on as sweet as a nut with no suspension and no pas. He made it look easy, oh and he looked just like Father Christmas.[emoji3]

This morning I had a call from Paul the indie. I was expecting the worst. "Do you know" he said, "this is a lovely little car, we've checked it all over and the leak is an easy fix and I reckon it would go through an MOT with a little work".
I knew it wanted strut returns but I have loads of spares for it including two genuine returns. So he's going to do the few jobs and put an MOT on it for Monday. Then after New Year he will do the cambelt as well.

Hi mate, I have become the owner of this BX. Wondered if you can tell me more about it.
Dennis
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dennis, congratulations on becoming the new owner of this BX :D

Do please keep us updated on your adventures with it ;)

I'm not so far from you and will be looking forward to seeing you and it at some local shows...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

demag wrote: 23 Jan 2017, 01:48 Does anyone watch Car SOS? They were rebuilding a Nissan Skyline in the last episode I saw. Fuzz Townsend was replacing the cambelt. He carefully cut the old one in the middle with a Stanley knife all the way round so in effect he'd got two belts side by side. Then he slackened the tension slightly and removed the outside half of the belt. He slid the new belt on and then cut the rest of the old belt off. Re-tensioned everything and didn't have to time the engine or lock any sprockets up. I've never seen that done before.[emoji3]

I've heard of this technique but never seen the point, if you're doing it properly then water pump and tensioner all will be swapped as part of the task.

Wouldn't work on my C5 with its floating crank pulley even if you left the tensioner/ water pump as is!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And the tension, if the car has a manually adjusted tensioner, must be reset... No ifs or buts about it... To do a cambelt other than properly is a bodge of the highest order and carries huge risks...

And as you say Matt, if you don't do the water pump and tensioner at the same time you'll find you'll soon have to... Been there - once... And once was enough...

This won't work on a TU engine due to the guide flanges on the crank sprocket...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

I have done a "belt only change" on my car in the past, but only my second change on that car as I used a good quality full belt kit 1st time so knew the tensioner/idler was decent quality. Still checked they ran smoothly and didn't come a cropper in the second change.

Mind you this was an XUD9TE and was changing at 50,000 miles (think official interval is 72,000 and Haynes suggests halving it to 36,000. So I went in the middle). Don't think I'd do the same belt only for a DV6 with the 125,000 - 150,000 mile intervals!