Old Remote Key Fob into New Car?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Re: Old Remote Key Fob into New Car?

Post by uncle buck »

No, even with a new virgin ID46 transponder fitted the remote part of the key won't work when using a 2nd hand key.

A new virgin remote key will programme with lexia and the remote part will work.

It's not just a pairing issue, apparently the ID46 needs to contain data from the remote control chip in the plip for the remote control function to work.

As you probably know you can get virgin ID46 transponders from just about anywhere now.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

uncle buck wrote:It's not just a pairing issue, apparently the ID46 needs to contain data from the remote control chip in the plip for the remote control function to work.
Where did you get this from?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
cancunia
My Cars: 2004 Berlingo 2.0HDi

Post by cancunia »

I started this thread to see if it's possible to re-use old fobs that are readily available for locking / unlocking and starting the engine. My feeling from what I've read is ... maybe.

The factory pairing of the Remote 73373067B-C Plip & ID46 PCF7936 Transponders to each other (as opposed to registering to the car via Lexia which comes later) is discussed at some length & detail at the start of the Digital Kaos thread that was linked earlier and what was I read before coming to the same conclusion & posted a few days ago. It seems that some of the ID data from the Remote is encoded into the Transponder.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/sh ... 3373067B-C

The very first post has this:
"You can reuse old remotes if you know what kind of data to write into transponder. It is placed in USER 0,1,2,3 pages in PCF7936.
Actual problem is retrieving data from an old, used remote and then put it into blank transponder."

I don't know if normal, non remote keys have any data factory pre-encoded into the ID46 or if you can simply use a totally new ID46 that you can buy for very little money on Fleabay or Aliexpress etc in a non remote key, then register it to a car.

I think I've written just about all I can without repeating my speculation any more. If anyone else has direct experience, or views please feel free to comment.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Paul-R wrote:
uncle buck wrote:It's not just a pairing issue, apparently the ID46 needs to contain data from the remote control chip in the plip for the remote control function to work.
Where did you get this from?
From the forum I linked to earlier on.

Cancunia has also linked to it :wink:

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It's a difficult read. I must admit I bailed out as soon as I saw it was grey on white. I'll see if I can work my way through it.

Interesting that the original poster has been banned by the site. I wonder why?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
cancunia
My Cars: 2004 Berlingo 2.0HDi

Post by cancunia »

Paul-R wrote:It's a difficult read. I must admit I bailed out as soon as I saw it was grey on white. I'll see if I can work my way through it.

Interesting that the original poster has been banned by the site. I wonder why?

He was banned as he tried to charge for his work, apparently forbidden on that forum. The first couple of pages have most of the detail where he works out what needs to be encoded. The rest is mostly electronics & people asking for his help to supply the correct data. The last page has some interesting observations tho :P