A Bit About Diesel Particulate filters For You

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: A Bit About Diesel Particulate filters For You

Post by red_dwarfers »

I tend to use supermarket fuels exclusively for diesels, my thought process being if I'm willing to run it on vegetable oil then any proper fuel designed for my car will be superior to vegetable oil. I don't tend to bother with veg oil any more as I don't really have space for the plastic containers. I go through at least 60-70 litres of fuel a week these days.

The GSA is fed on a diet of non supermarket 97+ octane as it was designed for high octane fuel.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I tend to avoid tescos and any type of city diesel which just doesn't seem to return many miles.(although I do like the sainsburys car wash). I have almost exclusively used Asda fuel ever since I Saw a shell tanker filling their tanks (on more than one occasion) and figured that people could be paying a premium for the brand at shell stations if they were buying regular diesel. Can't say I've had any water issues or problems because of Asda fuels which does return decent mpg. My 2cv hates shell 97+ higher octane fuel it runs very rough on it even backfiring occasionally it also becomes difficult to start when hot
It loves shell regular unleaded which I have stuck to since it coughed and spluttered on BP unleaded My independent Citroen garage regularly finds water in customers filters and tanks from filling up at Morrison's garages with diesel fuel. So I avoid them to.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I only use Tesco diesel, mainly because it's the nearest but in the past I've been to the wholesale wharfs and seen all the brand names filling up their tankers from the same outlet as the supermarkets.

I've concluded that you pay for the brand name, it's a psychological thing. :-D

By the way on the pollution subject did you see the India story where they intend to use redundant jet plane engines to blast the city smog into the high atmosphere.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I will not use Tesco fuel, not after the problems they had with silicon in the fuel knackering the Lambda sensors.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I will not use Tesco fuel, not after the problems they had with silicon in the fuel knackering the Lambda sensors.
Never heard about that but I've used it pretty well exclusively for the last thirty years in all my Citroens, BXs Xantias and C5s without any problem.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Gibbo. Funny you should mention fanning smog into the higher atmosphere I was thinking about pavement mounted fans with particulate filters when the news broke about the possibility of diesels being banned in our cities. Jet engines surely burn kerosene and are part of the problem.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I just go where it's cheapest.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: By the way on the pollution subject did you see the India story where they intend to use redundant jet plane engines to blast the city smog into the high atmosphere.
Yes, with a wry smile.. Surely this is trying to fix a symptom rather than the root cause... A bit of clever lateral thinking but ultimately misguided. And the thought of two jets running full-chat on a flat-bed trailer is horrific.. The potential for an accident is, well...
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Gibbo. Funny you should mention fanning smog into the higher atmosphere I was thinking about pavement mounted fans with particulate filters when the news broke about the possibility of diesels being banned in our cities. Jet engines surely burn kerosene and are part of the problem.
Precisely... A bit like the old story of the spider and the fly... They'll be looking to ever-more outlandish ideas before tackling the real problem...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

In the UK, there is a national grid for fuel, which links the refineries and importing ports to the bunkering depots where road tankers fill up. Only in a few cases SFAIK does one company's refinery link exclusively to that same company's depot. In that respect, it's similar to the national grid for electricity - all the generators feed into the same network, and it's pulled off and sold by an accountancy exercise.

All the major airports are linked into a similar kerosene underground national grid (for security, and to be able to shift the sheer amount of fuel needed), so if you see a Virgin plane being pump-delivered with BP fuel, then it's only a billing exercise - a contracted price between the two of them.

For the road tankers supplying filling stations, the tankers fill up at bunkering depots (like the infamous Buncefield), and what differentiates one diesel fuel from another, for example, is the additives that are put in at that point. Tesco, Morrisons, the independents, BP and Shell do not all have dedicated pipelines or large tanks on all these sites! They share several base fuels, and differentiate themselves by additives.

There are also contracts out there between supermarkets and supply companies for the delivery of fuel to their fitting stations. The sight of a Shell tanker on a Morrisons forecourt doesn't actually tell you much. You certainly can't assume that the fuel is the same quality and grade that Shell will be selling.

More info about the UK fuel grid here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLH_Pipeline_System
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:I will not use Tesco fuel, not after the problems they had with silicon in the fuel knackering the Lambda sensors.
Never heard about that but I've used it pretty well exclusively for the last thirty years in all my Citroens, BXs Xantias and C5s without any problem.
It was mainly an issue with petrol supplied to several supermarkets, Tesco included;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Unit ... tamination
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

its 2002 C5 - I`ll try it this weekend chaps!
Simon
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Harlequin wrote:its 2002 C5 - I`ll try it this weekend chaps!
Almost forgot what the main subject was at this point!

If it's back to the DPF Reset - good luck with the job, hopefully the videos may help and won't cost anything to try Simon.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

thank you - slightly different on lexia than PP2000 :D

but on topic - when I did a regenerate , the black rubbish that came out (running for 3 mins I think at 4000 rpm) and the heat were rather intense!
Simon
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It will be on a forced regen - it takes a toll on components, plus you don't get the cooling from driving.

I thought it was for your Peugeot (just looking at your profile) so dug up a Peugeot and a PP2000 relative video - was I wrong then as you've mentioned Lexia? :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

sadly I no longer the old Pug 405 GLx4 - many year long gone :(

video is still quite helpful though! thank you
Simon