Tyres (again!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Tyres (again!)

Post by CitroJim »

Triang made toys when I was a kid... I could never trust tyres with that name...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Tyres (again!)

Post by mickeymoon »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Never heard of those in particular, but there are some cracking names they've invented for tyres!
Really? You guys have never heard of Yokohama tyres? One of the biggest Japanese tyre makers who've been going since 1917?

Yokohama is the official tyre supplier of the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge, the World Touring Car Championship and Japanese Super Formula.

Yokohama has been the official tyre supplier of the Macau Grand Prix Formula 3 Intercontinental Cup race since 1983.

They also sponsor one of those football club organisations, some little outfit in London owned by a Russian.

Good tyres. I've got a set of 4 on my car.
Last edited by mickeymoon on 07 Dec 2016, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

demag wrote:Yes noise and fuel efficiency are important for me. Did you know 70db is twice as loud as 69db? When they turned the radio up at work I used to sabotage the speakers!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
I worked with a guy who used to annoy people with his music and sounds from his PC.

Opened his PC up, removed the contacts from inside the little connector from the speaker to the sound card. Looked perfectly ok. No contact = no sound.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

demag wrote:As long as they're round and black. I don't drive fast enough for performance to become an issue.

I'm generally the same. I have to make this very decision today!

The only ones I would truly avoid are Accelera. They really are shyte.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

mickeymoon wrote:
GiveMeABreak wrote:Never heard of those in particular, but there are some cracking names they've invented for tyres!
Really? You guys have never heard of Yokohama tyres? One of the biggest Japanese tyre makers who've been going since 1917
Of course I've heard (and used) Yokohama, :roll: I was referring to 'Prestivo' which is what the OP was asking. They were too soft and no good for me, wearing out in 5 months.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Thank heavens for that. I thought I'd stepped into an alternate reality there for a moment :D

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

For may years I used Gislaved tyres on my cars. They were a good medium range tyre and had a wonderful guarantee against damage whereby if you damaged a tyre beyond simple puncture repair they would replace it with another one and you only paid for the tread that you had used - the same as the old Esso tyres in fact.

They became impossible to obtain in the UK as the brand was targeted by its owner Continental as a winter tyre producer and I switched to its stablemate Viking. Sadly they also became difficult to get and for the last five years or so I've flitted with Dunlop, Firestone and, believe it not, Michelin.

I managed to avoid the period when there were some very poor tyres around and now I believe that the mid to low range of tyres may include names you've heard of but at least grip the road. So I'm not sure what tyres will next grace the new cars. If I can get them at a reasonable price I'll probably tend towards Michelin but for a set of proposed winter tyres for the X7 I'm really not sure.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:Really? You guys have never heard of Yokohama tyres? One of the biggest Japanese tyre makers who've been going since 1917?
Oh yes, I remember them from the 70s along with all the other Japanese tyre makers of that time and how awful they were :roll:

Their motorbike tyres all seemed to be made of a material that resembled black PTFE :lol:

I still can't quite trust Japanese tyres even now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote:.... If I can get them at a reasonable price I'll probably tend towards Michelin but for a set of proposed winter tyres for the X7 I'm really not sure.
Well TBH Paul, I've never changed my tyres from summer to winter, opting in the past to get a summer tyre with a decent tread pattern and trying to avoid those where they cut all your rubber away leaving those ridiculous 1" grooves! No thanks, I'd rather have more of the rubber I've paid for on the road ta very much!

Paul if budget allows, I would recommend trying the Crossclimate tyres. A summer tyre with winter certification that seems to shine in all the tests. Now I'm no Michelin aficionado, as I don't believe their standard premium tyres perform or last any longer that a mid range - and I would rather pay half or a third of the price of a Primacy for the same mileage I'm getting out of them. But when this tyre came out, I took a chance, as it is very hilly here and I expect it to be a cold winter this year, so took a chance on them. I am very impressed and as said, am considering getting a set for the rears too. This looks like a good test:

Marc
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

demag wrote:Yes noise and fuel efficiency are important for me. Did you know 70db is twice as loud as 69db? When they turned the radio up at work I used to sabotage the speakers!

That reminds me of a guy at work about 20 years ago, he absolutely HATED the radio on but obviously was outnumbered. Eventually he got so p***ed off he ended up booting the radio about 10 foot in the air :rofl2:

And Jim, I posted about my old Yamaha in another thread. That came as a grey import from Japan with a Yoko' front tyre, I rode round the block once in the slight damp (less than a mile) before putting the bike on the centre stand and leaving it there until I had a pair of Dunlops on it...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

Oh, and on the subject of tyres to avoid (if they even still make them, this was in the '90s!) Kelly "Steelmark"... I think they should have been renamed "Smelly Brownmark" TBH
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

ekjdm14 wrote:That reminds me of a guy at work about 20 years ago, he absolutely HATED the radio on but obviously was outnumbered. Eventually he got so p***ed off he ended up booting the radio about 10 foot in the air :rofl2:

Give that man a medal! =D> - there are such things as headphones. No good for me when working on complicated nested IIF Spreadsheet functions with all that going on :-D

And Jim, I posted about my old Yamaha in another thread. That came as a grey import from Japan with a Yoko' front tyre, I rode round the block once in the slight damp (less than a mile) before putting the bike on the centre stand and leaving it there until I had a pair of Dunlops on it...
Horrendous tyres (Yokos) , they were like putty.. Only good if you live in Tarmac heaven on immaculately preserved straight roads in the dry heat :-D

Marc
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Fair enough in an office environment, but this was an aerospace workshop with multiple welding/grinding/polishing and other noisy operations going on at the same time so I'm sure you'll understand why Bob from dye-pen was not given a medal, but a bath in a cold water header tank :D

And I'm not sure the Yokohama covers were even ok for the conditions described... Truly shocking they were!
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

ekjdm14 wrote:

That reminds me of a guy at work about 20 years ago, he absolutely HATED the radio on but obviously was outnumbered. Eventually he got so p***ed off he ended up booting the radio about 10 foot in the air :rofl2:

I always used Metzeler tyres on my two-wheeled vehicles.

The Yokos I had on my car were really quite good. I've just had the fronts replaced this morning with a pair of Firestones.

£43 each fitted.
Last edited by mickeymoon on 07 Dec 2016, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

ekjdm14 wrote:Fair enough in an office environment, but this was an aerospace workshop with multiple welding/grinding/polishing and other noisy operations going on at the same time so I'm sure you'll understand why Bob from dye-pen was not given a medal, but a bath in a cold water header tank :D
And I'm not sure the Yokohama covers were even ok for the conditions described... Truly shocking they were!
Fair play in that environment - ear muffs or headphones :-D

Marc