Just passed your driving test? ....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Just passed your driving test? ....

Post by CitroJim »

You're right Neil, belt colours are very variable across different martial arts and even within... Blue is a low belt in our association bit in other associations it can be a high belt...

The system I described is more or less what our association (TASK - Traditional Association of Shotokan Karate) uses..

As for Dan grades they are very hard to achieve and for me 3rd Dan is about right... Dan grades above 5th tend to be awarded for special reasons - often through significant contribution to the art or association so on here say, certifiably recording all AA boxes in the UK would be recognised with the award of a high Dan grade ;)

Our Shihan (Association Master) is an 8th Dan, is in his mid -70s and has been practising karate all his life and has spent a considerable time in Japan training and learning the art.

He has his own Wikipedia entry... He's a great bloke and very interesting to speak to... He is our grading examiner and critically appraises our performance of kata...

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

Neil

We have two peugeot 406 hdi estates, one I paid £400 for and the other £350, they are very reliable, economical and cheap to repair and the insurance is around £180, gone up somewhat this year. The £400 pound one is a GLX and we have covered over 10,000 miles in it so far with no serious problems.

I am happier with these than I would be a new car - and I can repair them myself.

Peter

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I do think now though that the standard of car you can pick up today in the bargain basement range under £500 is far better than the collection of cheap rust buckets available in my first few years of motoring.
Regards Neil
Peter

Your experience backs up my own view. I paid £380 back in 1978 for a 10 year old mini and all these years later a 2016 £380 would by me a far better preserved car than it did in 1978! despite all the "inflation" of the intervening years and the corresponding greater value of original 1978 £380.

Regards Neil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: I am happier with these than I would be a new car - and I can repair them myself.
Absolutely :D It's just like me with Gabriel - far happier...