Think my berlingo has hgf

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Think my berlingo has hgf

Post by lexi »

Considering you have done the axle etc, it may be worth the rest of the work, when the weather fairs. All these older cars are projects anyway, so you only buy another project. It can be down to what time and bits you have invested in the donkey you already have, which is why I keep mine ATM . I keep looking at an estate and then think of doing all those jobs over again..........nope, not for just 6 inches.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The axle is one of the big jobs on these and done. I really wasn't expecting engine problems, but as you say at 10 years old it's a project and always will be. And if I sell it I can't afford anything better so maybe better fixing it. I've done a cylinder head gasket before bit it was an a+ 1100 pushrod so never touched a timing belt. I think I will park it and do it in the spring. If I screw up the job it will not leave me much worse off. Looking for an engine and a total transplant!

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Didn't realise you'd done that much work on it Davie... That puts a rather different complexion on things...

Yes, good idea. Park it until Sprig and get some cheap and tatty winter stop-gap with just enough MOT and run it until you can fix the 'Lingo and then scrap/sell the winter car...

eBay will deliver a suitable candidate I'm sure ;) Doesn't matter what it is.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

If you were closer I'd have suggested the loan of a certain 406 that wants a few more miles shoving on it, not sure it'd be worth your while making the round trip to collect/drop off though and it's manual too. is auto a must for you I guess?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:It's a difficult one Davie :( Doing a head gasket in this weather at this time of the year is grim. I did a 1.9TD (not mine) on the side of the road at this time of the year a few years ago and it took bloody ages due to the weather constantly fighting us... That was down here in the balmy south - up your way it is not going to be in your favour at all..
A lot of it does depend on how you catch the weather, I did the HG on my old Supra (3.0 l6 turbo) in January/February a few years back, probably '08/'09ish and got the timing just right, if it wasn't down to waiting on parts it'd have been done in under a week. Main thing is to protect the bores & block surface while the lid's off, I filled them with blue roll and laid a blanket over the top followed by a tarp and bonnet back on. That and not rushing things, staying warm and dry helps!
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Having said all of that, if this reasonably dry weather keeps up I'll be doing Gabriel's cambelt and water pump on Friday. It's a job I want to do as soon as I can for my own peace of mind... If a 1.9TD cambelt lets go it's not good news...

Cold I'm OK with but wet is a different story entirely ...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...