Back at it again, 406 2.1DT this time :)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Back at it again, 406 2.1DT this time :)

Post by ekjdm14 »

You guys are gonna hate me for this. As if £160 wasn't a reasonable enough price for a decently usable 406 diesel with long MoT, I've only just gone and found a little gift in the sun visor while investigating a leaky aerial. Tucked under the little "flap" of material that PSA kindly attached to aid storage of sunglasses etc, 3 £20 notes all neatly folded up just waiting to be taken off the price I paid :shock: :rofl2:

They've obviously been there a fair while, given the musty smell and staining along the fold lines so I have to wonder if the previous owner even put them there or if they'd always been in the car since he bought it 2 years ago. I know the "proper" thing to do would be to contact him and ask if he's lost any cash recently, but to be honest I think the onus is on the seller to properly empty the car of anything they wish to keep before sale. At least, if I left 60 quid in a motor I sold, I'd consider it lost and put down to experience...

If you've bought a car recently, or even a long while ago, be sure to check every possible place for hidden prizes like this. Beats the usual couple of 50p's and few pennies you can normally glean from under the seats of a new purchase, along with assorted belly button fluff and fag packet detritus, anyway.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Result!

I've found a few pound coins, various euros and other small denomination coins but never proper folding stuff although I did find a £20 note by the Activa front wheel the other day amongst a pile of wind-blown leaves...

I did find a cracking haul of parking tickets nestling under the dash switch shelf when I did Gabriel's instrument illumination bulbs back along!

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Our C4 has got a 10p stuck in the centre air vent (thanks, children!) - one day I'll work out how to get it out again!

The 307 has got a parking ticket fallen down between the screen and the dash which obscures the VIN! No way of getting it out short of replacing the screen - which does need doing really, so perhaps it'll get it out in the not too distant.
Richard W
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

RichardW wrote:Our C4 has got a 10p stuck in the centre air vent (thanks, children!) - one day I'll work out how to get it out again!

IIRC 10p coins are magnetic, "Copper" coins certainly are!

The 307 has got a parking ticket fallen down between the screen and the dash which obscures the VIN! No way of getting it out short of replacing the screen - which does need doing really, so perhaps it'll get it out in the not too distant.

Perhaps a zip-tie with a smear of Vaseline or similar on the end could fish this one out? Although if the 'screen is not long for this world then it's not as much an issue.
Jim, it's a first for me also. Quite shocked how someone could forget such a relatively large sum, not complaining mind. I did initially think the car had been well cleared out as there were no under-seat coins to be had, but then this! Car park tickets are quite a common one too, along with gooey decomposing sweets. That's a great stash from Gabriel though, not seen that many before. Did you go as far as looking to see when they were from & what the oldest/furthest from home ones were? :lol:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I found five dessicated French chips in mine and a small bottle of some form of chemical agent called "Air Cleaner Lemon" :(
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:That's a great stash from Gabriel though, not seen that many before. Did you go as far as looking to see when they were from & what the oldest/furthest from home ones were? :lol:
A car park in Aldershot dating from 2002!!! All of them were from that general area as I recall... I can't work out how so many got there... The picture was exactly as found. I can only speculate the tickets somehow folded down the tiny gap between the instrument pod glass and the edge of the shelf...
Stickyfinger wrote:I found five dessicated French chips in mine and a small bottle of some form of chemical agent called "Air Cleaner Lemon" :(
Better than used knickers... Found a few pairs of those in cars in the past...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

how did you know they were used ?

agggggggggggg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:how did you know they were used ?
Use your imagination and all the knowledge you have gained over a lifetime Alasdair ;) :lol:
Jim

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Waaaaaay back in the 70s I had a summer holiday job and I needed a car urgently. I bought a three door Mk 1 Ford Cortina 1200 (early type without the Aeroflow ventilation) for, I think, about £25. When I got it home and opened up the boot I found a large sack of potatoes there. Not a huge discount but it kept the family in roasties for a few weeks.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:how did you know they were used ?
Use your imagination and all the knowledge you have gained over a lifetime Alasdair ;) :lol:

:-& I just barfed a little in my mouth.... :rofl2:

* I mean, finding knickers WITHOUT the price tag still attached, it must be utterly vile! :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it's not nice at all... Totally OT but once when we bought a second-hand touring caravan...

We found the cassette bog had not been emptied and cleaned before we bought it... Only discovered the fact a week or so later when preparing it for a holiday...

I think that was perhaps the most horrible 'find' ever in a vehicle :evil:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:Yes, it's not nice at all... Totally OT but once when we bought a second-hand touring caravan...

We found the cassette bog had not been emptied and cleaned before we bought it... Only discovered the fact a week or so later when preparing it for a holiday...

I think that was perhaps the most horrible 'find' ever in a vehicle :evil:
Erm, no. My brother bought his narrow boat only to find that the pump out tank was full (and had been for several months). For those not of a nautical mind, the pump out tank is the waterborne version of a septic tank.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, that is infinitely worse :evil: At least the caravan loo cassette was properly dosed with the requisite chemicals...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Most people who live on narrow boats prefer to have an 'Elsan' style of cassette toilet rather than the pump out system. Although the pump out does allow you to have a bath fitted to the vessel (you are not allowed to dump that much soapy water over the side), locations where you can get the tank pumped out are few and far between (can be up to a weeks' cruising away!). The nearest 'Elsan' point is usually within a day cruising. Such vessels also normally have shower facilities (which you can vent over the side) and a large amount of space available for better usage than a septic tank!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Many years ago I parked my PC Cresta with a diesel in it, outside an office supplies shop in Eastwood that I used when I was up that way, I parked across the road in a space between other vehicles, bought my supplies and returned to the car where I found a plastic bag attached to the windscreen.

I could find no parking limit signs anywhere so I marched of down to the police station which was not to far away and asked why I had a parking ticket, the young lady on the desk looked at it and said 'it isn't a parking ticket' it's for failing to display a tax disc! The disc had become detached from the screen and fallen down the windscreen heater vent, I had to disconnect the piping under the dash to retrieve it.

The only upside was that although I had to pay the fine a couple of weeks later I received a nice letter from the Nottingham shire constabulary containing a reimbursement of my fine.

Peter