Xantia HDI rear spheres?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Xantia HDI rear spheres?

Post by elma »

They can be really hard to get off, especially if they've been overtightened and left on for ages. As long as you do yours hand tight they shouldn't be so bad next time.

You can have the hydraulics assist you a bit by cracking the spheres off with the engine running and the suspension not depressurised. I think I used to do that with suspension on high but I don't remember. Soon as they are cracked off depressurise though or it'll be an almighty mess.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Hydraurincage isn't a lot more expensive than the equivalent amount of LHM, and isn't just a 'quick cleaner' that you put in and then ditch almost immediately. You actually run the car on it for a recommended 3000 miles (some folk do 5000). It just depends whether you want a really clean system, or not, for less than the price of a tankful of fuel.
Chris
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

elma wrote:They can be really hard to get off, especially if they've been overtightened and left on for ages. As long as you do yours hand tight they shouldn't be so bad next time.
Copy that, I'm installing them hand tight.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

hand-tight is all they need but they do seem to get tight(er) over time...

All ones on my Activa, just hand-tightening them, are normally easy enough to remove again but they definitely get tighter than the original hand-tight!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

These were hand tight, for the incredible hulk!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing I would suggest is to, every six months or so, undo them slightly (with the car properly supported), and then do them back up hand tight (the only exception would be the anti sink sphere). This makes it easier to replace them when the time comes, as they don't need Samson to remove them. Something that has been suggested (and which I did on my silver Xantia) is to use one of the old large O rings on the anti sink sphere, where it screws onto the bracket. That way it should not rust in place, and be difficult to remove (as the bracket is not very strong).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 10 Dec 2016, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Still having issues with the rear suspension. The front is fine, responds to the height lever and maintains the correct ride height. The rear won't maintain the correct ride height, only changes height either to max or minimum via the height lever. When I juggle the height lever to get a correct ride height the ride quality is normal. The plastic link is in place and the AR bar connection is tight. So, how does the rear suspension system work, in relation to the centre sphere and the front system? Is the height corrector the only thing that controls or affects ride height? The centre spehere is the only one I haven't changed, yet.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is a symptom of the rear height corrector mechanism being seized - the linkage in the cradle that transmits the movement form the ARB to the height corrector proper via the 'dog bone'.

The fact the height is adjustable via the lever shows the hydraulic part of the height corrector is fine...

The height lever and the link from the ARB via the 'dog bone' uses separate mechanisms and linkage sets within the cradle.

There are some guides on here on how to overhaul the cradle and linkages but a study of how the linkages within the cradle work will reveal all... I expect the pivot is seized... A common enough issue if the corrector cradle and mechanism is not kept adequately lubricated...

This is a good guide - although for the front one, the rear is very similar and functionality identical:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=27122

It will be nothing to do with the centre sphere...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thanks Jim, I'll delve into the height corrector then! That whole mechanism was devoid of any lubrication, so despite me dousing it with spray grease it seems it hasn't responded :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Just a thought. If the height corrector is stuck, wouldn't that cause the plastic link (dog bone) to pop off?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No, often they don't if they have been very dry for a while...

Basically, if you get lots of lube (WD-40 initially can be effective here) in and disconnect everything so that it can be 'worked' back and forth easily over its whole travel it may well soon ease up... In operation it's extent of travel is quite small - a small movement of the corrector makes a big difference in height...

Once the mechanism is really free and easy, lube it well with spray grease.

You may need to adjust the ride height once everything is nice and free again...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote:Just a thought. If the height corrector is stuck, wouldn't that cause the plastic link (dog bone) to pop off?
Not necessarily as there's enough 'give' in the linkages and as said in my earlier reply, the absolute movements are really quite tiny...
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Well I finally found the problem! The lever clamped to the anti roll bar has snapped due to corrosion! I did check that initially but it seemed ok, it must have been partially broken and not directing force to the plastic link. When I checked again today, in an effort to finally sort the problem out, the plastic link was just floating about! The height corrector seems free, I can move it slightly against the spring pressure. So now it's a case of removing the AR bar lever from my crashed donor Xantia to fit to my daily driver! Setting ride height should be fun..........not! Bloody thing!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It could be worth taking off the height corrector and giving it a thorough servicing, as well as making sure all of the levers are cleaned, greased, and are free to move. CitroJim has a detailed walk-through on how to do this;

http://www.eastment.net/hcrefurb/index.htm
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thanks for that. I'd like to do that but I just don't have the time available, just hope it works when reconnected! I might pull the one off the donor car, service it and keep it in stock for as and when it's needed.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !