Throttle issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BX
My Cars:

Re: Throttle issues

Post by BX »

This is a not uncommon trait for Bosch injected common rail diesels. As regards fault codes. Eobd readers only retrieve emmission related codes. Brand specific readers can retrieve a wider range. PSA cars will display more information to generic eobd code readers than most makes do. All vehicles only transmit the error information to diagnostic equipment in the form of a code. The code reader then performs a lookup in a table for the human language version of the fault. If the code is not found in the tables then the diagnostic tool describes the fault as "unknown". The next stage is to consult Mr Google.
With manufacturer specific codes the same code can have different meanings depending on manufacturer and often depending on the exact model
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Likewise it could be the stepper motor on the throttle body itself, rather than the throttle sensor.

BTW ek9jdm14... Civic owner I presume? :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

wurlycorner wrote:BTW ek9jdm14... Civic owner I presume? :)

Lol :rofl2: actually no, it's an amalgam of my own & my partner's initials and the year in which we met! Having said that, you're not the first to make the JDM connection with our username! However you are the first to mention the EK Civic as part of that...

I have had a few imports though, starting with a super-rare Suzuki Cultus Convertible (complete with semi-experimental push belt CVT transmission good for, ohhh, 28,000 miles!), then a Mk1 Pajero SWB which was great fun and ended up being swapped for my personal favourite, my old MA70 Supra 3.0 Turbo (complete with blown head gasket on a freshly rebuilt engine, due to Mr. Toyoda's torque figure faux-pas, speccing 58lb/ft instead of 78)... Oh, and a Nissan Largo (also forgot to mention the Subaru Sumo, but that was quite a forgettable little van with it's 3-pot engine that could barely move it in 4WD)...

Think that about completes my import resume as far as 4 wheels go. I have had JDM Hondas before but they were 400cc bikes. (Just remembered I actually had a JDM Yamaha XJ750 at one point as well, built 1983 and imported here in the late 90's so the bike's original owner must have had some money to burn if what I've heard about licences/roadworthiness over there is even half true!)

Anyway, now I've well and truly rambled as far off topic as I can... Good point about the actual throttle valve itself, that would be a more likely cause for the engine to die completely (I just never thought of it as it's a Diesel & I'm not used to them having throttles/doseurs per-se... would have been a good anti-runaway device back in the day!). That is also a likely culprit then, perhaps more likely that the pot.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k