207 Randomly Cuts Out...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 207 Randomly Cuts Out...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear it was a no-sleep night Alasdir - not good :(

Hope tonight will be better [-o<
Stickyfinger wrote: Does the Pug have a double fuse box like the C5's ?
No idea, how would I recognise one?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

One fuse box connects to another one under the first. The lower one acts as a fuse box and a coms-hub for the ECU's as I understand it. It can be problematic on C5's for sure
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:One fuse box connects to another one under the first. The lower one acts as a fuse box and a coms-hub for the ECU's as I understand it. It can be problematic on C5's for sure
Ahh yes, I now know exactly what you mean!

I believe it has ;)

Maybe tomorrow, when I recover from my run, I'll take a look and some pictures...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

It is there the large fuses reside on C5's
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Jim, if it comes down to looking for dry joints, broken traces etc on PCBs riddled with surface mount components and such I'm more than happy to take a look at them for you.

Not un-used to playing that game resurrecting pieces of 80s and 90s tech that thought they had managed to die a death a decade ago. Sony kit is always fun as they were really early on both the SMD and lead free solder band wagons.

Astonishing what a bright light, decent pair of eyes, a magnifying glass and some patience can sometimes turn up...though on many boards I've found just reflowing most components is quicker.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zel, thanks, that's most appreciated :D

When I get down to seriously looking I'll give you a shout!
Jim

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

white exec wrote:IGN switch? Not unknown on PSA vehicles. Are there any details available about the recall's fix?
I agree, have a look at the amount of keys on your keyring!!

My father in-laws Toyota had starting problems, it would start first time turning the key with your arm through the window, but not at all when sitting in the drivers seat, new lock fixed it

I know starting is not you problem, but there reason for this failure was the amount of keys on the keyring, the weight of these keys wore the lock!

Trouble is, if this is the problem, you need a new lock.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stu, I reckon to diagnose that issue I'll try hanging a few test lamps in view of the driver of the ignition switch and see if they go out when the engine dies...

I was thinking of loads of test lamps all over the electrics actually. It'll end up looking liker a mobile Christmas tree! :lol:
Jim

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Full CAN PSA cars don't seem to suffer from ignition switch problems like the older models do as they are low current switches, if you look at the back of the switch there will only be a few very thin wires coming out the back of the switch, less than half the gauge of the wires that come out the back of a traditional ignition switch. The ignition switch is more just a signal wire & only carries very minimal current.

EDIT: The full CAN types can be identified by the 3 position switch- Off, ignition & start as opposed to the older 4 position switches that also have an accessories position.
Last edited by wheeler on 02 Nov 2016, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for that Wheeler :D I must confess all this is very new to me and I've never looked under the steering wheel cowls...
Jim

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good luck with this Jim, looked a half tidy car when I visited on the weekend..

just need to provoke it while driving or even idling.. another pair of hands could be useful maybe..

interesting the engine and dash fail.. suggests an upstream voltage failure over an ignition / injector fail..
I wonder what cost to pull the harnesses off and get them tested.. a bit of work for sure but while they are hanging off another opportunity to invoke a fail..

electrics..grrr!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks John, yes she is basically a fairly tidy car but has seen a lot of hard work... If I can make her good she'll become the family spare car... I love the colour.. That blue is lovely!
jgra1 wrote: I wonder what cost to pull the harnesses off and get them tested.. a bit of work for sure but while they are hanging off another opportunity to invoke a fail..
That's all the kind of stuff I plan to do in slow time. There's no rush and I can treat it as a little plaything for now :D
jgra1 wrote:electrics..grrr!
Yes, precisely - especially complicated modern electrics :twisted:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I don't know if it's significant but this car has always had an unhealthy appetite for bulbs of all kinds and its bulb failure warning system is not exactly honest about what blow and what's not..

Could this be connected perhaps?
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Immediately makes me wonder what the alternator is up to...Even a slightly higher than normal voltage will result in the car eating bulbs...and if there are odd spikes or anything finding their way into the system, goodness only knows what the rest of the vehicle systems might make of it...the filtering on a lot of ECUs these days seems to be downright laughably poor.

Not something really daft like poor grounding at the alternator upsetting the regulator or something is it?

Really does sound like we need to spend some time with a truly improbable number of multimeters and/or test lamps hanging off that car and see what happens. I've got five that I can immediately lay my hands on...The Krypton makes six though it's rather less portable than the rest of them! ...It does let you see the waveform coming out of the alternator though...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zel, the alternator has got to be worth very close attention... Battery is currently off and now the car is in an ideal state to start a very detailed look for the root cause.

I reckon it's going to be a fun and interesting ride....
Jim