your views please on Mk1 C5 2.0 Hdi automatics please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: your views please on Mk1 C5 2.0 Hdi automatics please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

thanks Marc, I had been umming and arring over the ebay one wether or not to order from Poland
or just splash out on the expensive alternative, wow what a dilemma.
Ive not had much luck shopping on fle-bay lately sellers are beginning to lie about being where they say they are.
and items are not turning up.

cheers Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's is true and very annoying Nigel! I did order one from Poland for my Mark II and it was total crap. it didn't fit - the holes were in the wrong place and my mech. had to drill it and fix it himself. I paid £52 at the time back in 2012 and couldn't be bothered returning it as my immediate need was to protect the engine bay given the weather at the time, so opted to modify it and get some protection rather than having nothing and allowing water to get in there and cause other damage. I think as long as the material is as flexible as shown in the one on the video and won't shatter into parts - even if it does need a slight additional hole drilling to fix it - it is still a lot cheaper than an original. They do sell the clip kits too if you need these.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Well I have to give a contrary view to Marc's on these undertrays. I too fitted one of the Polish trays to my Mk1 C5 after the original self-destructed on the A6 approaching Paris. The replacement tray did not have the soundproofing bonded on that the original had but was a reasonable fit. It also came with a packet of new turnbutton screws.

Yes, I had to drill the front edge and use self-tappers but this was due to the fact that the spire nuts had broken away with the original tray taking some of the plastic radiator surround with it.

It was still on the car when I sold it last year. Well worth while IMHO.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm sure they have improved since I got mine Paul - and I can only say that the firm I got mine from is no longer trading (or at least under the same name) on the bay. There will be good copies and bad copies and mine was a bad one - but to be honest the one I linked to does SEEM to be better than the one I had :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Bought a pattern undertray for my mark 1 from eBay and it fitted a treat. Decent thick plastic too.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Ive been having lots of fun with tyre pressure sensors, yesterday they woke up from Not being detected
to being fully functional "Tyre pressures to low" on the nearside front so I pumped up the nearside front
then the alarm went off again off side front so I pumped up the offside front then the offside rear later in the day
so I added more air to that tyre.
Even later in the evening the alarm went off again offside rear has to little air in tyre.
so I visited a garage paid 40p for air and set the rears to 31psi and the fronts to 36 psi after checking the conversion tables on my phone
apparently the rears are 2.2 bar and the fronts are 2.5 bar.

it did appear that if a tyre was over inflated it would read as being to low, at one point the off side rear had 40 psi in it and was still reading low.

started the engine and the service light extinguished its self, then 250 yrds from my front door the alarm came up again tyre pressures not monitored.

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

at last its fitted to the new car. The Light is fitted under the drivers seat.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:at last its fitted to the new car. The Light is fitted under the drivers seat.

That's neat 8-) I like that! I could do with similar as I so seldom drive now I forget where the pedals are...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Hi Jim. I'll look up the amazon supplier for the screen bracket and the eBay suppliers for the screen and camera and build a fresh thread with an appropriate title ( any ideas)? As I don't want anyone doing anything dangerous. I can still move my feet but I cannot feel the pedals beneath them with Neuropathy. The foot well lighting has turned out to be poor. So im going to make a home made light from the IR illuminator casing and install a side light bulb and bulb holder inside it.. Camera was six quid screen seven and the bracket ten quid. I used meths to clean the dash and a hairdryer to heat up the dash mounting and dashboard I got the dash mount disk from halfrauds.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

That is brilliant Nigel. Let's you know if you are driving with your slippers on by mistake! :-D
The C5 undertray design is rather poor and flimsy. When you see a quality tray EG BMW Vel Satis..........even Honda Jazz, you realise how poor they are. I have plastic welded and zip tied mine together. It takes longer to zip tie it on again that it does to change the oil!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nigel, while this may seem a silly question, it is relevant to an idea I am coming up with. If you run a finger up and down your calf muscles can you feel that?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car

lexi wrote:That is brilliant Nigel. Let's you know if you are driving with your slippers on by mistake! :-D
The C5 undertray design is rather poor and flimsy. When you see a quality tray EG BMW Vel Satis..........even Honda Jazz, you realise how poor they are. I have plastic welded and zip tied mine together. It takes longer to zip tie it on again that it does to change the oil!
Nope my shoes are made especially for me by the Podiatry clinic in Kettering. :wink:
falling-out-with-my-car

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Nigel, while this may seem a silly question, it is relevant to an idea I am coming up with. If you run a finger up and down your calf muscles can you feel that?
The answer is just about (less in the right leg) but I don't know how much progress the nerve damage will have
and it is still progressing, I noticed numbness in my lower jaw the other morning
whilst using an electric toothbrush. Progress has been fairly rapid in the last six months.
others may find progress much slower.

There is peripheral neuropathy at the extremities fingers, hands, legs and feet which is what I have to some degree at the moment.
Then autonomic neuropathy which means internal organs heart, lungs, liver, kidneys.

hope this helps. :wink:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do not know if this would work for you, but here goes. What I was thinking was a simple mechanism that was really just a flat plate and a rod (with a wheel at the top end), hinged where they join. The plate would strap onto the sole of your shoe, while the rod has a couple of guide straps (they strap around your lower leg, but the rod must be free to move). The wheel would gently rest against your calf muscle, and as you flex your ankle the wheel would move up and down your calf, which would (I hope) let you know how far down you had pressed the pedals.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car

sounds like a good idea,

I don't need worry about clutch pedal travel hit it till it stops raise it gently so not to snatch the clutch.
I can feel the clutch take up through my backside in the seat.

This is only a journey until I can afford a Duck clutch fitted to the C5.
yep Duck Clutch its quite interesting There are about four companies in the UK that fit them starting at £900.00

here's a video of one working.

acceleration is judged by eye and the lines in the road, kerbs pavements lamp posts and the force in the my back from the seat back.

stopping is easy enough again allowing plenty of time, not getting to close to others (I learned that one on my birthday in 2016) when I rear ended someone
this was roughly when the neuropathy started affecting my feet but I just didn't have a diagnosis and didn't know it yet at the time.

I want to keep a manual car they are cheaper to run and gearboxes are cheaper to replace if they go wrong.
an auto could be quite dangerous for me with neuropathy if I press hard on the accelerator in drive I could end up having a nasty collision.

someone hit me in a Granada v6 years ago he had one foot in the car and one foot out he somehow knocked it into drive and he pressed the accelerator with his left foot
his granny literally took off up the street his right leg trapped in the door shut and left foot unable to lift off the accelerator.
he ploughed into four cars and my Mk2 cavalier was written off by the car behind me, my car continued forward into a Mini a 1969 Mini which rear ended a Vauxhall Astra,
very Messy. he wasn't insured and was driving illegally with no license.

cheers.
Last edited by myglaren on 05 Feb 2017, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags added