1997 1.9TD Estate - A Tyre-ing question about handling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: RE: Re: 1997 1.9TD Estate - A Tyre-ing question about handling

Post by ekjdm14 »

mickeymoon wrote:
beko1987 wrote:I've got about 100, do need to sell some though. Currently dailying a 1985 Turbopower Junior. I repair dysons for beer money too, am never properly skint for long!
I never thought I'd hear someone tell me what vacuum cleaner they're dailying!

Good on you sir!!
Me neither! And repairing Dysons, even for loose change, I'd expect you to be very comfortably off indeed given my experience of the damnable things! Can't recall the model but my favoured "steed" is a white Panasonic from the mid '90s, perfectly good after a rear axle repair (just like certain PSA models lol) aside from a gummed up blockage warning/bag fullness gauge thingy... :-D

I think my mum used to have a yellow Turbopower Junior in the '80s (it was certainly a Hoover, as was my nanna's although that was a very old blue/white & chrome thing with a cloth bag and "headlamp"!)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

Re: 1997 1.9TD Estate - A Tyre-ing question about handling

Post by beko1987 »

Of you search Google for my username you'll see it all come up!

Your mums hoover would have probably been a U1036, the last junior before they became turbopower juniors

Your white panasonic is a good machine, which had the accolade of being one of the last bagged uprights in production, and one of the longest too, its been going forever. I pulled a 1600w one out of a skip on holiday (I had the xm at the time) and refurbished it and gave it to mums mum. Upgraded it last year to a vax mach air I got for a fiver and gave it to someone who asked me if I had a hoover for her son who just moved out of the family home. Their like cockroaches, those and 1. 9d citroen will be running after the apololypse! Very soft brushrolls though, I'm not keen, no grooming or agitation. The panasonic icon was a much better cleaner
Last edited by myglaren on 11 Mar 2017, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think vacuum cleaner collecting is just great... :D

The Vintage Wireless forum has a section devoted to household electrical items so you're by no means the only one Sam...

I'll wager there's not a person alive who does not have a collection of something interesting...

I collect. Perhaps the most unusual is my little collection of slide rules... And my clocks...

Everyone knows of my collections of vintage wireless and electronics of various sorts so I won't elaborate on that any further...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Watches. I collect watches. Nothing too flash, I think the most expensive is a Tissot that cost £300 that I got for my 21st. The rest are just random watches I liked the look of, usually when I walked past a shop and they were on sale..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

Post by beko1987 »

My main issue is I buy anything that's cheap and collection only very close, but then don't get round to the refurbishing and selling part... Must sort that out, I have a 1983 Hoover Sensotronic that I'm part way through but am having electronics issues with!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What's the electronics issues Sam? I may be able to help with those... Electronics, more specifically radio, was my first trade until the Internet made it obsolete...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've started collecting slide rules too now, that was caught from you Jim. I have 2 so far a big Castell that was my Dads and a little one from Boots I found in Oxfam. Dad was going to throw his one away! I've Just got to work out how to use the things now then the little ones going into my tool box.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I'm not a collector, just a hoarder. Old vacuum cleaners? Yeah, a few - 195? Hoover Senior restoration project anyone?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

van ordinaire wrote:I'm not a collector, just a hoarder. Old vacuum cleaners? Yeah, a few - 195? Hoover Senior restoration project anyone?

I seem to have "lost" a post somewhere, must've forgotten to hit reply lol... Anyway, same here on being a hoarder. I still have loads of bits of the 206 we broke that'll most likely never see use again but "you never know" when you might need a 3 door front window (specially driving round in a 5 door :roll: )

Of more interest maybe could be a few CRT televisions including a Beko, no less, (although I think it's mid '90s vintage) and a tiny portable B&W set that either runs off 12vDC or a few D cells. Only time I've had a picture on it was when I connected an aerial to the RF out of my Sky box and placed the set close to it, since it doesn't have an RF socket just a telescopic aerial. Shame the analogue signal is off now as I did enjoy messing with old CRT's back in the day. My favourite being a 15" "portable" Ferguson Moviestar I had in the late '90s, I bet it'd still be going now if I hadn't had to get rid of it :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I used to be a terrible hoarder but I cured myself of that when I was ill back along and worried that I might never be well enough again to sort it it if necessary, not wanting to give my kids the headache of it...

So, as soon as I was just well enough I had - with help - a massive clear-out of all my hoard I no longer wanted. It felt bloody good and so far, I've not missed any of it...

The lesson was reinforced when I cleared out dad's place last year... Never again will I hoard.... I'll collect but not hoard...
ekjdm14 wrote:Shame the analogue signal is off now as I did enjoy messing with old CRT's back in the day. My favourite being a 15" "portable" Ferguson Moviestar I had in the late '90s, I bet it'd still be going now if I hadn't had to get rid of it :(
It's not a problem any more...

The boys over at the Vintage Radio Forum (http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/) where vintage TV thrives will show you the existence of standards converters (The Aurora) that will do the job for you - even for 405 sets...

It's a great forum although it's over-moderated to the point of sterility... The total opposite to this forum!

I'm a closet vintage TV fan as I used to fix tellies back in my younger days. Started when I was 12... I do have one vintage portable in my collection. A 9" Crown that has been in our family since 1968...
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

That sounds great, may have a look into it sometime although to be honest we don't watch TV anymore except for the odd film on catch up once in a blue moon (maybe 1 or 2 a year if that!). Would be pretty cool though to get the little'n going again just for kicks :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: we don't watch TV anymore except for the odd film on catch up once in a blue moon
That's exactly the pattern of my TV viewing and has been for a while now... My TV is almost an ornament now... It's vintage in itself now, being a late CRT model... I think it still works...

No digital on it so I use it with a little internet-connected box of tricks that give me access to the BBC and ITV player things... I believe live TV is available on it now too but I've never really explored that area...
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Same here, love a good movie but don't understand watching tv.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I find I have little conversation with my colleagues 'cos I've not had a TV for years - & fighting off the TVLO is tiresome.

Somewhere I might still have the lovely '70's TV with a teak cabinet, my parents' last B&W job - it would still pick up all 4 stations up to the end of analogue. Always thought it would become collectable but, unfortunately it wasn't treated so carefully by other family members when being shunted from pillar to post, so I fear for its present state.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote: we don't watch TV anymore except for the odd film on catch up once in a blue moon
That's exactly the pattern of my TV viewing and has been for a while now... My TV is almost an ornament now... It's vintage in itself now, being a late CRT model... I think it still works...

No digital on it so I use it with a little internet-connected box of tricks that give me access to the BBC and ITV player things... I believe live TV is available on it now too but I've never really explored that area...
Exactly the same here, my original reasons for "quitting" TV were more centred around the Licence Fee and my feelings towards their collection tactics. (I'm a firm believer in the justice system's mantra of innocent until proven guilty, not TVL/Capita's version of "guilty until we decide we can't scare cash out of you, especially if you're female/vulnerable") but since then I've just not missed any of the rubbish they show anyway & I can get the things I like on DVD or catch up.

I spent a good few years running merry rings round their "officers" without ever definitively proving that I didn't receive broadcasts, just to prove my point to friends that there's really no danger of being fined if you're legally licence free even if you don't invite their heavies in once in a while to try and prove otherwise.