Cactus

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Cactus

Post by demag »

Saw one today in Alcudia Majorca. Still not impressed.[emoji58]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Richard_C wrote:Then my son who is a classical percussion student called to say he was about to buy a set of 4 timpani drums which we will keep here and take out to concerts as required. Downsizing is on hold for a while
What about a recorder instead!! :rofl2: , failing that a trailer :idea:
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Too late for that! I would have voted for a Piccolo. Here he is playing with the BBC Youth Proms Ensemble at the Last Night.

C5 is OK for drum kit and a dismantled Marimba or Vibraphone, but not really high enough roof for Timpani. These Timps are a full concert set as owned by the BBC Symphony. Weigh a ton (he tells me). If/when you get a 'seat' in an Orchestra after many years you use their set but as a jobbing musician you need your own.

The ironically named "portable" sets are a bit lighter, shorter body, and designed to demount from the stand and pedal gear. So - you end up with 4 flattened hemispheres about 32" down to 26" which can be stacked in 2 pairs flat to flat, and 4 chunky bases with their tuning pedals which can fold flat. Still not Cactus land though.

Picking up a C4 Picasso next Monday, year old, fancy spec, no Petrol about so going for Blue Hdi 120, at least its Euro 6 so should be ULEZ proof for a good few years but who knows. Had the C5 over 5 years so time for a change but will miss the hidden hand of torque that thrusts you from 40 to 90 in 4th when you hurry on to (foreign) motorways. Plan to change driving style and bumble along, as long as I can cruise at 70+ on long trips will be OK. Might fit myself out with a pipe to puff and flat cap to tip to passing aristocrats. "Sweep on ye fat and greasy citizens", as I always say when a Range Rover hurries by (As You Like it)

Quite liked a Berlingo but Mrs Me says she would never want to drive it.

Still fancy a Cactus for when we really can downsize though.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don't forget to leave room in the boot for emergency supplies of the dreaded Blue Cow Urine (Adblue)!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, you want a nice H Van for carting that lot around ;)
GiveMeABreak wrote:Blue Cow Urine (Adblue)!
Is that what it's made of Marc?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's made of about 67% de-ionised water and 33% urea Jim - but although a standing joke, the urea is actually man-made - here's an article: :-D
https://www.rix.co.uk/blog/2014/8/cows- ... or-adblue/

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Marc, that's an excellent article explaining what it does and how...

So, it's to control NOx and not particulates which is a common misconception and one I harboured until now...

A bloody sight better than EGR that's for sure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I think the following PSA video illustrates it much better than I can Jim, however, I still think there will be Eolys additives in addition to Adblue, as the particulates still need burning off. The Adblue just helps with the first stage converting the NOx into water and hydrogen. Although not explained, the particulates can't remain in the filter forever - so I can't see how else the filter will regenerate without Eolys or similar additive. According to PSA, the BlueHDi engines incorporate both the SCR system with the Adblue and the DPF for the particulates - so I think people are getting confused that it is one or the other when it is actually both systems incorporated.

The only issue with the Adblue is - you need to top up every 12,500 miles, or the engine won't start!

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Richard, you want a nice H Van for carting that lot around ;)
Yep, from real blue cows - and they are are as common as flying horses.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Richard, you want a nice H Van for carting that lot around ;)
Yep, from real blue cows - and they are are as common as flying horses.
And more common than rocking horse dung!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thing is, will anyone actually remember to put any FUEL in? :roll:

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Marc, thanks for the diagram of how it all works with a particulate filter! All these additives in a modern diesel is quite astonishing....

Makes my old 1.9TD seem a bit of a dinosaur... all it needs is straight diesel :lol:

And for an old-school IDI diesel it makes hardly any smoke under any circumstances but no doubt by today's standards it's horrible. What I don't understand though is all these modern hi-tech diesels still seem to make quite a lot of smoke when accelerating hard, especially when passing cyclists :evil: and arguably more than my old 1.9TD so I question if all this hi-tech stuff actually works and what they'd be like without it - factory chimneys I expect!
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's interesting Jim, I've never had any black smoke out of an HDi that I've owned, certainly not with the DPF C5s. Having said that, don't forget there are probably a number of cars on the road that have had their DPFs removed. This was widespread practice before the DOT cottoned on, and the now known illegalities of removing them being more publicised. There are now alternatives like DPF cleaning kits that even Halfords provide at their stores as a service for clogged filters that are very reasonably priced.

So I would suspect that if you see a smokey modern diesel that it has been de-FAPed at some point and should be given a wide berth, whilst breaking out your chemical warfare biohazard suit and engaging oxygen mask and emergency turbo boost on the bike! Oh, and possibly a few choice hand signals too! :-D

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: So I would suspect that if you see a smokey modern diesel that it has been de-FAPed at some point and should be given a wide berth, whilst breaking out your chemical warfare biohazard suit and engaging oxygen mask and emergency turbo boost on the bike! :-D
In that case some jolly recent diesels have been de-DPF'd then! Big Land Rover pose-mobiles seem to be shocking offenders, closely followed by the usual big German suspects..

So, to guard against de-DPF'ing are MOT testing stations now doing some functional tests or is it just a 'visual' to ensure the DPF appears to be present?

I would surmise one reason the HDi and the old XUD are quite smoke-free is their specific outputs are very moderate compared with the incredible power they wring out of current diesels - with that level of tuning I guess smoke will be inevitable and needs all the filtering and additive skullduggery it can muster to keep it more or less under control...

Back to Adblue, is the driver expected to top this up or is it done as a service item by a garage? I ask as I see big cans of Adblue in filling stations now and can't image how a little old lady in her Micra might manage to top up the Adblue tank :roll:

Or are those only intended for lorries?
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Adblue is not included as part of any PSA service contract, they will of course top this up for you but at over inflated prices, hence the copious supplies now seen along side the screen wash at various stores. The consumer is expected to fill this tank up (usually a 17 lt capacity) enough for 12,500 miles approx, but depends on vehicle. There is usually a separate tank in the boot or an additional filler port. There should be plenty of warning via the dashboard of when you need to top up adblue additive, but if it is ignored car won't start deliberately.

There are new MOT checks being looked at now by DOT apart from the current visual check to test if the DPF is there, likely to be incorporated into the current smoke test. They think they will be able to check if a DPF is doing its job where it is supposed to be fitted with some tweaks to the current smoke test equipment. They are clamping down on companies offering DPF removal as it is illegal to remove them from vehicles used on public roads despite what they say. Now many of these companies are offering DPF cleaning instead, although they are still offering the DPF ECU deletion map.

Marc