Xsara Boot Release (2003)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Re: Xsara Boot Release (2003)

Post by fastandfurryous »

Ah... so the diagram above only shows a snippet of the BSI.. makes sense.

I think the diagram is correct. It's a 2002 Xsara estate 2.0HDi, and the cable numbers seem to match.

Just trying to extract the BSI at the moment so I can test cable 6229 from one end to the other. What a cow of a design! Getting to it is damn near impossible. I am still trying to locate the plug in question.. it's labelled 16v NR on that diagram.. I'm assuming that means it's black.
This is not a signature.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The most likely place for this wire to break is where it exits the body up at the bootlid hinges.
Pull back the rubber boot between the body & bootlid to check for damaged wires.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Bah. One step forwards, one sideways, and one backwards.

Found the cable at the BSI, as noted on the drawing above, 6229 does indeed go to pin 7 on the Black plug, and if you put a meter on that pin when you prod the button on the boot, the meter reacts (although it only supplies +ve for about 300ms, so my meter can't react quickly enough)

So, going back to the boot area.. found a connector behind the side trim (just under the side window) which has cable 6229 going through it (and changing colour in the process. Thanks Citroen!) Flashing +ve volts to this connector does not fire the release motor.. but checking again at the motor itself, flash +ve volts across the unit itself and it operates. So there has to be a break between the body of the car and the tailgate.. As mentioned above, the boot hinge area is the most likely spot.

Except I've now got a completely un-responsive remote key. Having plugged the BSI back in, everything else works, but there's no response from the key. Tried doing the pairing process (key in, to ignition, then hold the unlock button for 10s) and nothing. I know this has worked before on this car, as I re-paired it just a few weeks ago.

Damn car is going to end up nose first in a skip soon....
This is not a signature.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't actually hold it in for 10 seconds - people get this mixed up. You actually put the key in to ignition positive and within 10 seconds hold one of the buttons for a few seconds, turn off ignition and release the key.

However, if the BSI has been physically disconnected from the vehicle, you may need a pairing operation to re-pair the fobs - and you'll need Lexia to do that.

Did you follow the guide:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I am very quickly being reminded why I absolutely cannot stand working on electrical issues on vehicles with a BSI. Hateful bloody things.

No, unfortunately, I didn't follow the procedure. It always strikes me that any piece of electronics that cannot cope with being unplugged and then plugged back in again is badly designed. Still, I will try a BSI reset and see what it does. If I end up needing to use a Lexia to make the key talk to the car, I will have to reconsider exactly what I'm going to do with it.. is a lexia setup as expensive as it used to be?

Still need to find the break in cable 6229 first. Then I can set fire to the car in frustration.
This is not a signature.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Think of the BSI like a computer - if you pull the mains without shutting it down properly, then it doesn't have time to write data to the hard drive, and perform other operations - which can lead to corruption / hardware failure.

It's the same with a BSI - although pretty robust, they do tell the other ECUs on the vehicle data networks when to sleep and when to wake. Each ECU may have journey data that they need to write to memory - which is done shortly after you switch off the ignition. After about 3-5 minutes, the BSI then tells everyone to go to sleep. Next time you unlock the car with the remote, or open a door, the BSI uses a remote wake up signal to tell them to wake up in anticipation of the car starting.

So if you disconnect the battery without giving the BSI a chance to ensure all the ECUs commit their data, it can leave them in a state if not careful, requiring a reset to try and reinitialise them. And that's another reason why it's important to have all the doors shut as part of the sleep routine, so that the BSI can go into sleep mode - which it won't if the door is open or opened or a switch pressed etc...

I can't see where you are from your profile - but have a look for members with kits on this link. At the bottom is a link to a Google Map, that will show you each member pinned. Contact any by private message.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=56452
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

Post by beko1987 »

Guess who replaced a very simple and electrically fully working zx with this very xsara...
IMG_20200219_090417.jpg
Found this thread whilst having a Google of this very issue! (Mr Fast and Furryous also mentioned a thread going on here) Plan A is to just not use the boot until the weather improves (the manual release is very easy though, and very kindly all the trim has been left off to facilitate this) , plan B is to carry on investigating, plan C is a little momentary switch placed somewhere wired from the back of the 12v socket to said wire 6229 or whatever it is...

I've just bought a nice new continuity tester as the leads on my multimeter are falling apart...

Id best make a new car thread tomorrow if its quiet at work!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Xsara hatchback manual boot release. Obvious when you know. NOTE: This is not a Picasso. It's a hatchback Xsara.
Short story long. The exterior tailgate switch stopped working years ago, not a problem as the keyfob worked it. Now the keyfob system has died so had to look for the manual release. I'll wire a relay near the BSI to swich 12V to the unlock solenoid from the tailgate 0v switch input.
Good wiring diagram for me further up this thread.
Anyway: Boot release Xsara Hatch:
PXL_20220206_162354819_LI.jpg
Use a small scredriver and just flick the catch in the hole to the left/
Long story short: It took me days to find where exactly the manual release was.
Attachments
PXL_20220206_162240996.jpg