Brake disc life?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Re: Brake disc life?

Post by HDI »

I unashamedly admit to being a heavy footed driver, I just like to make progress. I use gears AND brakes but try to maintain as high a corner speed as possible! I do try to avoid slowing or stopping unnecessarily, like anticipating flow at roundabouts etc. If I had to pay a garage to service the car though, I might adopt a different driving style! I've found that cars with rear discs suffer from brake corrosion if driven very moderately. This latest Xantia I'm using had semi seized rear brakes when I first got it and it felt very under braked. The rear discs were very rusty, especially on the inside. After about 500 miles with me behind the wheel they have freed up noticeably, the brakes feel much better and the rust on the inside of the discs is being removed.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

bobins wrote:I think it helps that I do a lot of long distance driving !! :)
Not that it's much of a comparison, but my pick-up truck is only on its second set of pads and second set of discs (the first ones warped) and it's at just short of 100k. There's still plennnnnty of meat left on the pads :-D
Yes, you probably brake 100 times more with an hours city driving than an hour on the motorway. OK, Motorway braking is from higher speeds but still much less wearing I would have thought.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Well that's it done. The mechanic took 2.75 hours. Oil and filter replaced, levels checked and topped up (Antifreeze added) Wheels off, brakes cleaned blown out and lubricated. Tyre pressures checked and adjusted. Total cost £109 . 50p.
Fully synth oil and OEM filter.
Plenty of meat on all pads . Rear discs showing a little wear but nothing to worry about.
Belly pan condition a little worn looking ( Mine and the car's) but OK.
Happy? You betcha!
Rick.

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thats a very fair price and you have piece of mind.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Thats a decent price for that. You know it will be well for a blast up the country.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yep Davie, looking forward to a DPF regen.
Rick.