On TV...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: On TV...

Post by mickthemaverick »

Quest +1 at 8.00am today. 5th Gear with a road test comparison between Audi Etron and Tesla Model X as well as a look at the EV preloved market. I'm watching it on Quest at the moment and finding it interesting so far!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I know the feelings about Clarkson are mixed on here but I thought I'd mention this anyway! I am a fan and I have just binge watched the whole of his Amazon Prime series "Clarkson's Farm". It tells the story of his first year as a farmer from September 2019 to September 2020 and SWMBO and I both found it amusing and informative. Make what you will of it!! :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have watched a couple of episodes and found it quite good.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Harry of 'Harrys Farm' is very good, I've learnt more about farming from that than anything else I have watched. He recommends a look at Clarkson's farm too

Bit of a lifestyle change for Clarkson but you get a more genuine view of the man.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Mastermind makes a triple-header quiz night on BBC Monday nights, with Only Connect and University Challenge following on.

Spot the howlers time!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

MM and UC I can live with but I get too distracted with OC!! :lol: :lol:
NewcastleFalcon

The Cream of Trinity Cambridge were Useless on their UK Waterways bonus questions on UC but FCF resources provided 2 of the answers!

Dormouse mentioned this the other day on the back of Mick's trip to Warrington
Dormouse wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 08:00 I got confused to begin with as I thought it was the Barton Swing Bridge. Never seen the Latchford one before and I couldn't work out how Barton connected with Knutsford then I followed the A50 back to Warrington and, hey presto, Latchford. The rest was down to Street View.
James refers to the Kennet and Avon Canal in is a few of his posts
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 22:12 OK, not a misty morning (and not even in 2020), but here are a couple more evening narrow boat shots, from the Hungerford area on the River Kennet.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The bonus questions where their lack of knowledge of the geography of Scotland came to the fore was in a bizarre set of bonuses on "The East of Scotland Football League"
Bonus 1 Which town to the east of Edinburgh links a club nicknamed "the seasiders" and a battle of 1650 in which Oliver Cromwell Defeated a Scottish Army under Leslie?
Tricky but "Fife" wasn't even close.
Bonus 2 What flower follows Crossgates in the name of a club based at Humbug Park near Dunfermline.?In Shakespeare's Hamlet the same flower precedes the words precedes "path of dalliance"
Now that one is impossible, and possibly the most ridiculous question ever asked on University Challenge. I'll cut them some slack on that one, even though their guess "Thistle" wasn't close, it was as good as my guess.
Bonus 3 Which town in the borders is home to Royal Albert United and to a Rugby Club Which has won the Scottish Championship 12 times :?:
Again tricky but a decent guess would be guessing any town in the border region of Scotland, if like any normal person you know nothing about the East of Scotland Football League, or rugby.

First thing that came up for conferring was Aberdeen, quickly dismissed by Kim from South Korea who said it was too far north to be in the Borders, but then suggested Dumfries and Galloway....wrong Coast! Then they tried Glasgow, before "passing".

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most of them are pretty knowledgably but couldn't mend a fuse.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A whole string of swing-bridges over the Ship Canal. I travelled across (and queued to cross) them almost daily, at Latchford and Grappenhall.

At Warburton, there's a high level Toll bridge, where you still have to pay - to cross a dried-up river bed! Had to use that, twice daily, to get from Padgate to Heatley, near Lymm. The alternative was a long detour via Warrington, the M6 Thelwall Viaduct, and Lymm village. Middle of last century stuff...
Chris
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 21:55 The bonus questions where their lack of knowledge of the geography of Scotland came to the fore was in a bizarre set of bonuses on "The East of Scotland Football League"
Bonus 1 Which town to the east of Edinburgh links a club nicknamed "the seasiders" and a battle of 1650 in which Oliver Cromwell Defeated a Scottish Army under Leslie?
Tricky but "Fife" wasn't even close.
Bonus 2 What flower follows Crossgates in the name of a club based at Humbug Park near Dunfermline.?In Shakespeare's Hamlet the same flower precedes the words precedes "path of dalliance"
Now that one is impossible, and possibly the most ridiculous question ever asked on University Challenge. I'll cut them some slack on that one, even though their guess "Thistle" wasn't close, it was as good as my guess.
Bonus 3 Which town in the borders is home to Royal Albert United and to a Rugby Club Which has won the Scottish Championship 12 times :?:
Again tricky but a decent guess would be guessing any town in the border region of Scotland, if like any normal person you know nothing about the East of Scotland Football League, or rugby.

First thing that came up for conferring was Aberdeen, quickly dismissed by Kim from South Korea who said it was too far north to be in the Borders, but then suggested Dumfries and Galloway....wrong Coast! Then they tried Glasgow, before "passing".

Regards Neil
Because I hail from Prestonpans and worked in Dunbar question 1 was easy. I now live in Fife but, as a non football fan, my first guess for question 2 was Rose. Had to look up Primrose. As a rugby fan Hawick was easy peasy. two out of three ain't bad, as they say
NewcastleFalcon

Dormouse wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 09:24 Because I hail from Prestonpans and worked in Dunbar question 1 was easy. I now live in Fife but, as a non football fan, my first guess for question 2 was Rose. Had to look up Primrose. As a rugby fan Hawick was easy peasy. two out of three ain't bad, as they say
Have to admit I got 0 out of three. Soon as Q1 mentioned Battle...went immediately for Prestonpans with little thought. Would have had to know my Hamlet to get Q2, the footy team and humbug park were no help :-D I really should have got number 3 being a rugby fan, but guessed Melrose :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I didn't know the answer to Q3, but I did know where the Scottish Borders are, so I was, at least, in the right area of Scotland! I thought it might be Peebles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

My house in Prestonpans looked out on Preston (P)Athletic's home ground. I remember going to a Hearts / Hibs derby once and thinking I had seen better football in the park out the back. Sad or what?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Bah! I forgot to watch. Watching the 'Crimson Rivers' series on catch up. The more I see it the more I think the tobacco industry is paying the writers, the leading lady is lighting a fag in every couple of scenes. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.