What do you know about Norfolk?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: What do you know about Norfolk?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

...and just a few "odd" shots from the Bressingham 2016 rally

A P4 Pick up, looking like it means business

A NADA P6 (North American Dollar Area)

A P6 Estate

And a convertible

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Nada en Espanol = nothing. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All these P6 pictures is just making me want one :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

This is an absolute treasure trove of art/design/history rmspecialstamps.com. Lobbed up some album covers which made it to stamps on "Picture(s) of the day", but a quick search through the issues from 1950 to date has produced a few entries for Norfolk!

So here they are

Marking the bicentenary of First Mail Coach Run, Bath and Bristol to London in 1984, the series included the Norwich Mail which was apparently caught in thunderstorm in 1827! Now my curiosity has me wondering whether it was an actual event reported on at the time. Also from the same series I wonder whether the "Swan with Two Necks" Inn (cracking name for a pub!) exists and whether it was in Bristol/Bath or London or somewhere else along the route

and part of a series of stamps called Millenium Mind and Matter in 2000, this "Norwich and Norfolk" image made it.

And should you ever visit St Helen's Chirch in Norwich, and gaze up at the roof you may well see this "Boss" which made it to the Christmas 1974 set of stamps

Regards Neil

PS....anyone from Norfolk feel free to join in!
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The church I was christened in appeared on the 9p stamp in 1972 in the village churches collection....

http://www.rmspecialstamps.com/collecti ... -churches/
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:The church I was christened in appeared on the 9p stamp in 1972 in the village churches collection....

http://www.rmspecialstamps.com/collecti ... -churches/
Well that's one of those random connections I love :) looks like there are five to choose from in the collection, but an educated guess would have to be this one...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the one Neil :D I just couldn't work out how to grab the image and post it... Thanks ever so for posting it up properly :D

It's a truly beautiful church. I still go there regularly as my sister is buried in the churchyard...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

....and surprisingly that particular collection is bang on topic as one of the other village churches is in Norfolk. Now from what I have already learned through this little foray into things Norfolk, from the round tower alone without knowing anything else about it, would have pointed to a Norfolk location.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That is another amazing coincidence Neil. I'm just loving this thread :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

.....Well a one-time resident of Kings Lynn Norfolk was Adam Thoroughgood. At the age of 17, he became an indentured servant to pay for passage to the Virginia Colony, a project of the Virginia Company of London at the time. Around 1622, he settled in an area south of the Chesapeake Bay and a few miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean.

...and he was responsible for that area becoming known as Norfolk County/Norfolk City. A short distance from Norfolk Virginia is a reasonably spectacular road crossing Chesapeake Bay part bridge/part tunnel.

And the South Norfolk bridge isn't too shabby either

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Cor, now that's a lovely one... I like the hybrid bridge/tunnel.. Wonder why they did it like that? Must have been a very good reason...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I have driven across that several times ( the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel) when visiting my daughter who lives close by.

Take a look for Gibson Island and you'll be about a mile from my daughter's creek side home, her home can't be seen on Google Earth because it's under trees.

Down's Park with waterfront on Chesapeake Bay is directly opposite her place and I've spent many hours sitting watching the comings and goings of the crab fishermen and the seabirds.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Cor, now that's a lovely one... I like the hybrid bridge/tunnel.. Wonder why they did it like that? Must have been a very good reason...
Wel one of the major objectors to high level bridges across the shipping channels was the US Navy, due to concerns that collapse of high level bridge(s) (due to either accidental or deliberate action) could cause a large portion of the Atlantic fleet based at the Norfolk Navy Base at Sewell's Point and other craft within the Hampton Roads harbor area to be blocked from access to the Atlantic Ocean.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Cor, now that's a lovely one... I like the hybrid bridge/tunnel.. Wonder why they did it like that? Must have been a very good reason...
Wel one of the major objectors to high level bridges across the shipping channels was the US Navy, due to concerns that collapse of high level bridge(s) (due to either accidental or deliberate action) could cause a large portion of the Atlantic fleet based at the Norfolk Navy Base at Sewell's Point and other craft within the Hampton Roads harbor area to be blocked from access to the Atlantic Ocean.

Ahh :D Now that makes perfect sense! Thanks Neil...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:I have driven across that several times ( the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel) when visiting my daughter who lives close by.

Take a look for Gibson Island and you'll be about a mile from my daughter's creek side home, her home can't be seen on Google Earth because it's under trees.

Down's Park with waterfront on Chesapeake Bay is directly opposite her place and I've spent many hours sitting watching the comings and goings of the crab fishermen and the seabirds.
Yet another case of "what are the chances of that happening"..Gibbo sitting on the dock of the very bay, randomly posted up in a thread started to provoke members from Norfolk (if they actually exist), or elsewhere to visit one of the last remaining AA boxes at Brancaster and take a photo of it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey